cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions about Equalizer E4

TrekkerB
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, we are preparing to order a Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE and need to ask a couple of hitch related questions before completing the purchase.

We will be towing our new TT with our 2013 Chevy Express 3500 (std. length). We are well within our tongue weight, gvwr and other limits. However, due to the length of the TT vs. our relatively short (135") wheelbase, I want to make sure we get the best hitch available at mitigating sway. I would love to have a premium hitch like Hensley, etc, but it's just not in the budget right now.

Therefore, I looking for the next best thing. I'm still considering all my options but have narrowed the focus to an Equalizer E4 for the time being. I know the Reese DC is also a great unit, but I understand they can be very finicky to set up properly. We've also considered the Husky Centerline HD, but I have concerns about the pistons wearing and losing effectiveness during a trip. Finally, I've looked at the Blue Ox Sway Pro, but for the life of me I can't understand how it prevents sway any better than any other system with chain up bars.

That brings me back to the Equalizer. I have a couple of questions about it. First, if the bars really don't give that much, then what happens when you drive across uneven pavement (like pulling into parking lots)? It seems that the system would almost try to lift the rear axle as it transitions across the low area.

Second, since the bars aren't really designed to give as well as other units, does this cause damage to the TT or TV? I would think it would create metal fatigue in the hitch, frame, etc., and just be rough on the system as a whole. How bad is it?

Finally, if I do decide to go with the Equalizer, which system would I need? The GVWR of the camper is 9250#, but the dry weight is only about 7000#'s as optioned. I would guess that loaded for camping we will be somewhere between 8000-8600 #'s. Would I be better off with the 12,000/1,200# system? Or the 14,000/1,400# system?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
TrekkerB wrote:
Update everybody. I called Equalizer today to inquire about the differences between the 1200 and 1400 bars. Salesperson said NO difference! They both use the same bars. The only difference in the 1400# system is that the ball head is more robust to handle the extra load.

So...why wouldn't everyone just order the 1400# system?

True story.

I found this out myself as well, but went with 1000lbs bars so I didnt have to change the head. The head in my case, was the same for 600-1000lbs.

TrekkerB
Explorer
Explorer
Update everybody. I called Equalizer today to inquire about the differences between the 1200 and 1400 bars. Salesperson said NO difference! They both use the same bars. The only difference in the 1400# system is that the ball head is more robust to handle the extra load.

So...why wouldn't everyone just order the 1400# system?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally I would go with the DC. The EQ is OK, but when the DC is setup properly it is far better at keeping away from starting! There is a reason the EQ is easier to set up!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I input 8600, 1150, 200 into Equal-i-zer's calculator.
It recommends the 14K hitch.
That is what I would go with.
I'm at the high end of my 12K hitch with 7200 and 1150 and could use the 12K or 14K. If I knew then what I know now, I would've gone with the 14K.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
12K hitch. Your tongue weight is going to over 1K.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

austex
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you think the Equalizer bars "don't give as well as other units"? The weight-rating and "stiffness" should be closely comparable across various brands. If the hitch is set up correctly, any given one is transferring the same load between tow vehicle and trailer. Using "too stiff" (way higher-rated than necessary) bars might cause a bit of concern re: rough ride, over-stress of tongue structure at extreme flexion.

I have an E4 1,000/10,000 hitch for my 750/6,000 (loaded) trailer, works fine.
Tom & Jessie
Central Texas
MVPRV(RIP) Coast 26LRBS TT

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye out for used Hensley units on Craigslist etc. I've bought 3 used ones that way. I paid $1000 for the 1st one, nearly new. Two others were $400 and $250. Just needed some paint to look new again.

Sometimes I see people selling them with their RVs as well. Offer to buy it separately.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would love to have a premium hitch like Hensley, etc, but it's just not in the budget right now.

Contact Hensley and ask for what is available in pre-owned refurbished hitches. They sell them for a significant discount. The difference in towing between a premium hitch that controls sway and the friction based Equalizer hitch that only mitigates sway is hemispheres apart.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
ifd22 wrote:
I've towed thousands of miles with a equilizer brand hitch and have been very happy. Others have many, many more miles then me, and I've never heard of the hitch causing issues with the TV or TT.

X2...But I have been looking and reading about the Blue Ox Sway Pro and may consider getting one in the future. All the reviews of it indicate that it performs quite well.

I haven't had any problems with my Equalizer and we've started our third season with it. We just pulled our trailer from Ohio down to Lake Placid Florida!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

ifd22
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed thousands of miles with a equilizer brand hitch and have been very happy. Others have many, many more miles then me, and I've never heard of the hitch causing issues with the TV or TT.
As far as the hitch selection, I would go with the 1000/10000 pound hitch.
2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2018 Ram 2500 Crewcab CTD
Andersen hitch