Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have suggestions of a good railing for top bunk of bunkhouse
7 REPLIES 7

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We use a bedrail from IKEA. We found that the pressure fit clamp it comes with was hit or miss (never had a fall, but the bedrail itself fell a few times). We ultimately just drilled through the bunk lip and mounted it permanently. It's hard to make the bed now, but junior won't knock it down.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50251388/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I used 1x3 to build a ladder and railing:
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Cdaddy wrote:
Anyone have suggestions of a good railing for top bunk of bunkhouse

Back when we owned our TrailCruiser hybrid with Jack 'n Jill bunk beds at the rear I simply used a piece of paneling wedged between the mattress and bunk edge. It slid forward for use and rearward for easy entry & exit.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I got one of those flexible fabric truck tailgate replacers, sized for a small Ford Ranger and hooked it up when we had a bunkhouse.

Now, my youngest grandchildren at the time were 8, so they were able to unhook it themselves, and preferred to sleep with it hooked. After watching the 11 year old fall out one evening (I barely caught him), I made him use it.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I used something Like This to keep the grandkids from falling out of bed when sleeping in the cab over bed in my Class C.

It folds up and is tucked under the bed when not in use.

I used a similar thing, however now my kids are older and hate being "in jail". I've found that a rolled up beach towel under the edge of the mattress creates enough of a curb that they don't roll over it in their sleep.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
My bunk house area has an accordion door that closed it and the bathroom off from the rest of the trailer. The door was attached to the cabinetry between the refrigerator and a closet. A plastic peg was screwed to the edge of the wall separating the bunkhouse and dinette. It was used to secure the door when closed. When opened there was a limited amount of room to go through the doorway. I kept scrapping my side and tearing t-shirts on the plastic peg. I attached an oak 1 x 2 flat against the bunk edges in the corner where the bunks and the dinette and bunkhouse wall meet. The oak 1 x 2 goes from the floor to the ceiling. I took the accordion door down and reattached it to the Oak 1 x 2 and moved the plastic peg to where the door used to be mounted. This let me have almost 6 more inches of opening. The door is now behind the wall and the peg is no longer exposed tearing my shirts.

A secondary benefit was it allowed me to use some 8 x 48 plywood scraps I had that I could shove between the bathroom wall and the bunk mattresses standing on edge. I can slide them over across the opening to the bunks to keep things from sliding off the mattresses while I'm driving down the road. The mattresses keep the plywood scraps in place and the Oak 1 x 2 keeps the plywood from slipping off the bunk platform. This can also keep a kid from falling out of the bunk. You might think about adding a 1 x 2 and some plywood like I did. All you would have to do is sand and paint or urethane the plywood.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used something Like This to keep the grandkids from falling out of bed when sleeping in the cab over bed in my Class C.

It folds up and is tucked under the bed when not in use.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C