cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ready Brute Elite

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of questions on this system, for those that have them? I am setting up a 2013 Honda Fit 5 speed for towing behind my Winnie. This system interests me from a cost and simplicity sake.

1) How do you adjust the brakes? How do you know when its breaking enough?

2) Can you easily remove the system for after you arrive and want to use the toad? What stays installed on the car?

Thanks!
2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed
5 REPLIES 5

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
Very helpful!
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
NSA (manufacturer) says you want 2" of play in the cable that goes from surge to car. It is adjustable to some extend. Some users have installed a turnbuckle in it to make adjusting it easier than the cable clamps. I wondered about the same question - is it braking enough? After 6000 miles of use - I feel the 2" slack recommendation is accurate. From New England to Rockie Mountains, it has felt adequate through many mountains and heavy traffic braking - I have never felt like the toad was pushing me (Suby is at my upper end weight-wise at 3200#). ReadyBrute makes it easier to use toad - since no brake box stuffed on drivers floor. I have (7) connections to the car - 2 safety cables to unclip, 2 tow bar arms to un-pin, 2 brake cables to disconnect (spring clips), and 1 wire harness to unplug. Towbar stays connected to hitch on motorhome, so depending which baseplate you put on the car will dictate what is left on the car when disconnected. We use a Blue Ox baseplate, with "hidden" connectors (not really hidden...) - just 2 removable connectors that go between tow bar arms and baseplate. Installed they stick out 5 or 6 inches - very easily removed. As far as the cable on the brake pedal, that remains connected all the time - you are not even aware of it - it is on the arm, located above the pedal itself. Hope that helps - we've been very happy with the system.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
That cable is installed one time and stays there until you remove it.

You just connect it to a cable attached to the tow bar when connecting. One click.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
So you dont have an issue with the connection to the brake pedal to deal with? Is that not "permanent"?
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You cant adjust it very much. I tightened the slack out of the cable until it wouldnt always release and then backed off some.

I have a led on the dash connected to the toads brake light. You dont want the brakes dragging.

The tow bar disconnects like any other tow bar. There are tabs that stick out a little when disconnected and a loop of cable that you can probably tuck into the grill.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.