rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:
I don’t see

swivel wheels

in either of the pictures posted, and I don’t know of a carrier rated to carry more than a 1000 pound load… that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there, but few Class A’s chassis and suspensions would be able to support much more than 1200/1400 pounds total even with the chassis enhancements required… the next problem is the front to back length of most lifts/carriers is only 48 inches, not enough for a Smartcar…

As neat as it may look, Without knowing more about these setups, I would have to think they are both overloaded, illegal , and unsafe…

I know, I know, someone will eventually say they have done it for a million years and a billion miles and even some off-road use in the mountains and never ever had a single problem… and still it wouldn’t make it OK, legal, or safe…

Yup they DO make them and up to "5,000 lbs". Don't think they could sell them if they were not safe.

Lift & Carrier Install/Calculation of Added Weight on Rear Axle The 48" X 84" steel deck plate will carry two motorcycles, a golf cart or whatever else your trip calls for. Features a removable tire stop (sold separately, PN: SC9058), and allows you to tow up to 5000 lbs. Loads curb or street-side. Add in the tie down locations...

http://blueox.com/p-1188-sport-carrier-i.aspx

While I admit I might be wrong since I have never been in the market… all I have seen have been similar to this one…

http://blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/SC2102.pdf

They have a 1000 pound lifting and carrying capacity…
They also have the extended hitch receiver for flat towing behind it of 5000 pounds…
Don’t forget the hauler, the HD hitch and the HD reinforcement chassis parts are all a part of the load to…

SportLift III Capacities
LIFTING CAPACITY - ......................... 1000 LBS.
FLAT-TOWING CAPACITY - ................ 5000 LBS.
CARGO HAULING LENGTH - ...... 102 INCHES OR LESS

Sport Carrier II Capacities
CARRYING CAPACITY - ...................... 1000 LBS.
CARGO HAULING LENGTH - .. 102 INCHES OR
LESS

Sport Carrier I Capacities
FLAT-TOWING CAPACITY - ............... 5000 LBS.
LESS
Still the vehicle chassis limits are often even more restrictive than the hauler ratings anyway…

I know you like to argue and have the last word,

No I don't. I just posted it for reference for the OP.

I was parked next to a MH that had a lift for a motorcycle and also towed a toad. The lift had a blueox label on it but I can't find any info on the combo setup off the website.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:
I don’t see

swivel wheels

in either of the pictures posted, and I don’t know of a carrier rated to carry more than a 1000 pound load… that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there, but few Class A’s chassis and suspensions would be able to support much more than 1200/1400 pounds total even with the chassis enhancements required… the next problem is the front to back length of most lifts/carriers is only 48 inches, not enough for a Smartcar…

As neat as it may look, Without knowing more about these setups, I would have to think they are both overloaded, illegal , and unsafe…

I know, I know, someone will eventually say they have done it for a million years and a billion miles and even some off-road use in the mountains and never ever had a single problem… and still it wouldn’t make it OK, legal, or safe…

Yup they DO make them and up to "5,000 lbs". Don't think they could sell them if they were not safe.

Lift & Carrier Install/Calculation of Added Weight on Rear Axle The 48" X 84" steel deck plate will carry two motorcycles, a golf cart or whatever else your trip calls for. Features a removable tire stop (sold separately, PN: SC9058), and allows you to tow up to 5000 lbs. Loads curb or street-side. Add in the tie down locations...

While I admit I might be wrong since I have never been in the market… all I have seen have been similar to this one…

They have a 1000 pound lifting and carrying capacity…
They also have the extended hitch receiver for flat towing behind it of 5000 pounds…
Don’t forget the hauler, the HD hitch and the HD reinforcement chassis parts are all a part of the load to…

SportLift III Capacities
FLAT-TOWING CAPACITY - ................ 5000 LBS.
CARGO HAULING LENGTH - ...... 102 INCHES OR LESS

Sport Carrier II Capacities
CARRYING CAPACITY - ...................... 1000 LBS.
LESS

Sport Carrier I Capacities
FLAT-TOWING CAPACITY - ............... 5000 LBS.
LESS

Still the vehicle chassis limits are often even more restrictive than the hauler ratings anyway…

I know you like to argue and have the last word, but the picture in your post is of the Blue_Ox SportCarrier II… and it to shows a carrying capacity of 1000 pounds and it appears to not be able to flat tow anything behind it like the others…

click
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I needed a carrier of this type my first choice would be the Idaho Tote. But you'll need pretty deep pockets!!! 🙂
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
How much does a Harley weigh?

My 2011 Road Glide Ultra weighs 911 lbs, its one of the heavier ones.
:C
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
I don’t see

swivel wheels

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
How much does a Harley weigh?

I've seen tons of them on a carrier with a lift off the back end of DP's.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Another method

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:

Nose-in parking at the curb is the reason for the popularity of these mini-cars in large European cities, where it is either permitted, or where parking is poorly enforced (like Rome, where Smart cars often end up in spaces designated for motor scooters). Some countries simply don't allow this parking trick anywhere, and in other places, like U.S., it is up to local governments to decide what to allow.

On a trip to Europe, Italy and Rome especially land of the Mini car and Moped. Roads are very narrow.

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Now if I could just carry my Honda Pilot like that!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
GottaRunGottaCamp wrote:
My Harley Davidson (Road Glide) is 99" long, I wonder if the Smart car is shorter than my Harley? :@

Depends...are you counting the length of your Harley's pipes? :B

NOTE PER ABOVE DIMENSIONS:

That 5.1 inch "height" is variable, depending on whether practitioners of an Certain New Sport have been around. 😉
Smart Car Tipping
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
GottaRunGottaCamp wrote:
My Harley Davidson (Road Glide) is 99" long, I wonder if the Smart car is shorter than my Harley? :@

Yes, the Smart in the photo is 98.4" long.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t see swivel wheels in either of the pictures posted, and I don’t know of a carrier rated to carry more than a 1000 pound load… that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there, but few Class A’s chassis and suspensions would be able to support much more than 1200/1400 pounds total even with the chassis enhancements required… the next problem is the front to back length of most lifts/carriers is only 48 inches, not enough for a Smartcar…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone knows that you can't carry your bicycles or your Smart Car on the bumper. They are only strong enough to hold the sewer hose.

Well....they say the bumper is only good for a spare!!!

Cargo carriers, Bike lifts, etc. on MH's are NOT mounted on the bumper. They are welded and some incorporate the hitch which is also welded to the frame.

This is an example of a "bike" lift. They make another model for heavier items.

http://blueox.com/p-1185-sport-lift-iii.aspx