cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator smell

Happycamper30
Explorer
Explorer
We are a seasonal camper and for some reason there was a power outage and our refrigerator quit working, and we had this produce, meat,etc. now we have this awful smell we cannot get out of the refrigerator we have tried Baking soda but to no avail, we do know the refrigerator does work on gas.so we know it does work, any good tips on how to get the rotten fowl smell out,some people say charcoal, but would like some home grown ideas.

Thank you
14 REPLIES 14

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not as bad as what you have. We were given a refrigerator we put on the back porch for cold drinks. Smelled like something had died in it. Using a VERY liberal amount of Clorox Clean-Up, we scrubbed (and I do mean scrubbed) everything twice, then shut it up for a few days with wet Clean-Up all over the insides. Sometimes we still catch a slight disagreeable smell but very faint.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
jamway wrote:
The folks on R V Net told us to do this.

We put about a cup of this in a small dish in the our refrigerator and freezer for a week. Worked great no bad smell.

TST RV Septic System Ultra-Concentrated Liquid Treatment

RV black tank treatment is the only thing we found that removed the smell when our cooling unit quit 3 years ago. Pour out into a dish and close it up in the freezer and frig. for 4 days WITHOUT OPENING. Finish up with bleach mix..
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
The folks on R V Net told us to do this.

We put about a cup of this in a small dish in the our refrigerator and freezer for a week. Worked great no bad smell.

TST RV Septic System Ultra-Concentrated Liquid Treatment
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Happycamper30
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies and just to let you all you know I would advise not to come over for a cook out with Brats and burgers they might have a funny taste to them, as always thank you all for the advice and will try them,

Happy RVing.Be safe.
Ron.

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe as a last resort,let an onion burn in a pan on the stove,then at least the fridge will smell better than the trailer. :h

Sorry,just had to add a little humor to your situation.:B :W
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Humpty
Explorer
Explorer
The very same thing just happened to us :S We cleaned everything with bleach once discovered and it still smelled bad.

Went away for 2 weeks with the fridge empty, off and doors open. Wiped it out with a lot of bleach upon return. It is better, but still stinks.

Unit is currently empty, off, with doors open. It will have been like this for 3 weeks before our next trip. I was planning to hit it hard with bleach again. I may also try straight lemon juice.

I guess I will keep doing this until it passes a smell test.

It sure is a pain waiting on the fridge to cool from off.

On but empty may be the new normal for us.
2007 Challenger 33DBB parked on the Coast

2016 GMC Canyon Diesel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been known to use an industerial size Steam Cleaner (Back when Dinos walked the earth and I worked for Sears at the warehouse, it was THEIR steamer) Since then I've used a personal steamer on another frig but these were Residential type. not RV type.. However if it's just the fridge not the freezer.. Same steamer should work.

Then baking soda water mix.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Odo-Ban. I helped friends and neighbors save their fridges after hurricanes. Remove all panels that have screws. If you don't you will never salvage. Mix a strong solution and wipe down. Be sure to check and clean the defrost pan under the fridge AND the drain tube. Spray a solution into all cracks and crevices. Use wadded up newspaper and spray lightly. Close the door and next day throw away newspaper. Spray into crevices and other surfaces again and leave open. Allow to dry between spraying. Maybe put a small fan in the opening. May need to repeat several times
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Would kitty liter absorb the smell? Leave open airing out with containers of litter sitting inside.

The "new" versions of cat litter actually only absorb liquid smells. I remember using it while trailer was in storage in humid weather a few decades ago long before these clumping,flushable ones came out.

On a side note,wonder if lemons and baking soda made up into like a soup,put in the fridge and left closed a few days in a hot trailer...ie.. no power to it,would have the reverse effects of bad food. :h

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Lemon juice by itself.

You can also make a paste out of baking soda and lemon juice.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would kitty liter absorb the smell? Leave open airing out with containers of litter sitting inside.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Oh, man, I feel ya!

That smell is really very hard to get rid of. Wiping down with a little bleach will help. but the smell gets absorbed into the plastic liner, and will soon be back. If there's any way you can turn the fridge off, and leave the door open wide, with all the windows open and let the whole thing air out for, oh, the next year or two . . . .

Just plain charcoal wouldn't do much. I would think you'd need activated charcoal, and lots of it. Go down to the aquarium/pet store and buy several boxes of the activated charcoal they sell for aquarium filters. Spread it out on paper towels, after wiping the fridge with diluted bleach.

Good luck.

Moved from ATC

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Charcoal or coffee is what I have always heard. Wipe it down with a good cleaner first,maybe some mild bleach. Good luck.