Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reminder to be careful around railroad tracks when towing

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Story

Glad nobody was hurt, but a graphic reminder that you need to be extra vigilant when crossing tracks when towing a trailer or toad.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH
19 REPLIES 19

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
afidel wrote:
Story

Glad nobody was hurt, but a graphic reminder that you need to be extra vigilant when crossing tracks when towing a trailer or toad.

Thats nothing that requires a public service message telling others to be careful. The driver who ended up putting themselves in that position was simply a moron. When you have a railroad crossing with a traffic light just beyond there are two reasons why you would get in that position. One is your a moron, the other is your an impatient in a hurry moron. Now the person will probably sue the railroad lol.

Probably true but not always. I was crossing a track at a similar location once and was taking the rough tracks slowly when some jerk cut me off at the last second taking my extra space leaving my backside sitting on the tracks. Absolutely unexpected and unavoidable unless I crossed the tracks at a bone rattling speed. I was pretty nervous until I cleared the tracks.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'v seen several vehicle/trailer problems at RxR crossings.
The ground rises on most of them in the country around here. They created a long ramp when constructing the crossing. Long enough for one vehicle or semis and lash-ups pretty high off the ground. But an F150 2x4, and others since most are no higher than cars now, towing a trailer, can sometimes snag the hitch or chains or jacks or whatever. Can see many gouges in the roads at approaches to RxR tracks.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I was at Bucanneer there was _no warning_ on Clermont; we kinda sidled over it. I think if we had gone straight we would have bottomed out. The crossing down near Silver Slipper was fine.
-jbh-

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
True, sidecar, Warren and Charlie do own both. Dad retired in ‘75 so he didn’t work for them. It’s not that they are bad guys but rather the checks their managers must send to Omaha that makes the managers...ah...er... And what may, may BN cut to send those checks? It’s an RR remember. Maintenance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MrWizard
i think i know that intersection
crossed it many times on my scoot, while the safari was getting the engine repaired in 2012
our rooms were nearby and i made many runs to McDonalds
crossed it several times everyday for (2) weeks

Mcshack was not the only reason to cross the tracks
but i mad some breakfast runs over there
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kevarino wrote:
Around here, when the arms for the tracks go down, the lights are timed allow cars to clear the intersection before the train comes.

That makes too much sense. I doubt that it would be widely adopted.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
Around here, when the arms for the tracks go down, the lights are timed allow cars to clear the intersection before the train comes.
Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
That'll buff out.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
That brought a smile to my face.:B I was at a similar crossing yesterday and watched vehicles stopped on the tracks waiting for the light to change, there are no barriers. Use your heads people, far better to get stuck behind a train than be hit by one!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Because I live in an area where there are several railroads, I'm always aware of the length of my vehicle's (and trailer when in tow). There's some spots, like in the OP's article, where is is simply not enough distance between the oncoming cross road and the parallel railroad. when towing the trailer, I never try to get between them, even with the tracks are perfectly clear. I stay behind the tracks. I know this makes a lot of people mad behind me. They somehow must think I should go ahead and cross the tracks, leaving the trailer dangling over the tracks. I've even had people honk at me to move on forward ... which I did not. People are idiots! I figure (especially with trailer in tow), if they want me out of the way ... they can push me. Good luck with that one once I turn the engine off and put the entire 59 feet of rig in park!

FYI! I REALLY like railroad crossings. Some 33 years ago, the day we were married, we were stopped by a train on our way to the motel after the wedding. I reached over and gave the new bride a big ol' kiss... right smack on the "kisser!" Well, before the train finished crossing, we were beginning to get pretty hot and steamy ourselves and then the train passed. We looked at each other, I started the car back up, and I said ... from now on ... every time we get stopped for a train, we make a kiss! And we have! Never missed a kiss once after that.

Later we started kissing in elevators and escelators too! It's a pretty neat game we play. Love it! Keep the romance in marriage. Folks around us think we're nuts. We tell them ... we were just married and on our honeymoon! And they say ... "Really!". And we say yea! We were married 33 years ago! They stand amazed!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just remember 'morons' like him are out there sharing the road with us all :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
afidel wrote:
Story

Thats nothing that requires a public service message telling others to be careful. The driver who ended up putting themselves in that position was simply a moron. When you have a railroad crossing with a traffic light just beyond there are two reasons why you would get in that position. One is your a moron, the other is your an impatient in a hurry moron. Now the person will probably sue the railroad lol.

In as much as BNSF is owned by Warren Buffett and Warren also owns Forest River, that would be interesting. Train wasn't going that fast. Went into emergency and stopped pretty quick.

Obviously the RV driver was a moron. Hope BNSF sues him for damage to the locomotive.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dad used to manage the paperwork on AT&SF accidents. Easy one...not the RR’s fault.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
That thing tows like it's not even back there.

Tows like its on rails