cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

remove "flushable" wipes from black tank?

PonyGrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from another great trip dry camping in the '05 Yellowstone (class C Ford E450 chassis, 27'). We took my mom, who had 'elk rut at RMNP' on her bucket list, so 4 adult women using the toilet for 5 days.

While we stopped off for RV paper en route, apparently I didn't explain clearly enough that "flushable" is a marketing term...so now I have sensors showing full on a black tank I've drained. Twice.

I suspect that the plastic sheeting ("flushable" wipes) introduced into the tank are the problem.

Any ideas as to HOW in the heck I can get this tank back to providing data on levels?

I thought about letting it freeze and throwing in 5 gallons of hot water, but I'm in a bit of a hurry. SWMBO is planning to caravan--with our newly licensed 16 yo at the wheel of the smart car--to a 3 week tournament later this month. If that tank overflows I will never hear (or smell) the end of this!

TIA for any ideas from bitter, stinky experience. I prefer to learn from others when I can.
31 REPLIES 31

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
There is no such thing as a "flushable wipe". If you don't believe it, ask the workers at your local sewage treatment plant. They have to deal with them quite often!
"Gently Used" TP is that which has no poo on it. While some think it is incredibly gross to put urine soaked TP in the trash, many people do so. There are various reasons for the practice, which I will not go into here.
Suffice it to say it is much more common than one might think!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Dustytuu wrote:
We have been RVing for many years and full timing for several of those years. .
We do not buy special TP paper. Have used Angel Soft for years. Have never ever had a problem with our black tank.
We do not put a lot of TP down the toilet. Put the gently used in a plastic bag which goes in the trash.

YUCK, I am also curious as to what you mean by "gently used"
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
I have had this issue a few times with my 5, now 6 year old. Not that big of a deal. What worked for me, and mentioned a few times, dump all waste, fill with water and a few heavy squirts of Dawn, then drive around, dump, fill back and let sit for a few days. This has cleared the "flushable" wipes out of the tank for me more than once. Good Luck
2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Explorer
Explorer
:E
Dustytuu wrote:
We do not buy special TP paper. Have used Angel Soft for years. Have never ever had a problem with our black tank.
We do not put a lot of TP down the toilet. Put the gently used in a plastic bag which goes in the trash.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask. What is gently used toilet paper
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't buy "flushable" wipes. Simple.
They make me sore so I don't use them but a couple years ago some were flushed into my black tank. Not sure what brand but one got caught in my black shutter on two occasions. Disassembly was necessary to remove them.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
And the very next thing you do is get your label maker out and put "DO NOT FLUSH" on the container that those butt wipes come in. My daughter flushed some down into our septic tank and they got into the pump and jammed it. Provide some small plastic bags and put the wipes in the garbage.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always use a flexible wand.

However i learned something that might be more fun. I am gonna try but think my arm will not fit down the pipe with an angle in it. :R

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
Just drive around with 15 gal of water in there and let it slosh around.

Seriously, full the blank tank fill and let it set for a couple days, drain, fill it about 1/3 full, then drive around, drain again.

This is what I would do. We have a 32 gallon black tank, so I'd put more like 20 gallons of water in it. Take the motorhome down the highway for 20 miles and let it slosh around. Dump, refill and repeat if needed.

We don't really rely on the black tank sensor anymore even though they seem accurate. Our tank is directly under the toilet, so when there is a burp when flushing, I know we need to flush in the next 12 hours or so. Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) can usually go about 6 days before the tank needs to be dumped.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
That is too funny! I missed the cat litter story.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Our fifthwheel toyhauler wont let me use a wand. Wish I could I have like 3 of them.

Use Happy Camper tank treatment, stuff works great, dissolves it all.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a wand for tank cleaning from any RV supply store. You drag a hose in the RV, hooked up to the wand, stick it down the toilet, turn it on and it will spin around in circles cleans the sides of the tank. Should do the trick. I've used it when the tank gets smelly and it really gets it clean.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a clear plastic elbow that has a gate valve and a water hose connector and back flush the tank, you will be surprised how much stuff stays behind, this will help a lot if you can get a wand down use both.

Warning, when back filling have the wife look down the toilet tube so that she yells before it over fills the water will dump out of the sink if connected to the black tank, neigbor saw me doing it bought one and did not pay attentio and well it was a mess, believe me the wife will never use those whippies again!

You need to back flush a minimum of six times or more, I believe the product is made by Valtera.

navegator