cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserve America requires SS number?

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Just spent an hour on reserve america, where I've booked camp sites for several years. It was not a fake site as I could look around at campsites, etc. I went to book and it said I am required to put in an SS number as part of a Federal code to catch deadbeat parents for unpaid child support....THAT IS NOT ME!

Point is, I immediately closed the page. Is this normal? I would never give an SS number to reserve america. What gives?
106 REPLIES 106

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody knows-and few object- that one has to give an SSN when applying for a State-issued license of some kind. That's nationwide, and nothing new.

But this is the first time any of us have ever heard of having to do so to get a campground reservation through a private marketing company who can do anything it wants with the information it collects about its "customers".

I think that's completely bogus, and evidently specific only to Kansas. So far.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think this is just a Kansas thing. If you want a hunting or fishing license in Wisconsin you must give your SS. They told me the same thing. So they can collect child support. I don't make reservations so i've never been asked. Heck, in dealing with the goverment ( and Reserve America probably ) has your information already. I know in Georgia and Florida give them your phone number and they will have everything on you already, probably even know about the mole on your left butt cheek.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
713-42-1776
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dorothy didn't give her SSN to Kansas and look what happened to her.
bumpy

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered using a private camp ground?
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever you do don't use a fake number! You're probably committing a felony by doing so. Not to mention what happens if the fake number you enter happens to belong to somebody that owes a hundred grand in back child support? You may find yourself booked into jail and your RV seized to pay somebody else's back child support.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
restlesswind wrote:
I wonder how many people will decide not to stay in KS due to this stupid rule.

Everybody who owes child support!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
After having to deal with major ID theft (due to a former employer I worked for over ten years ago whom apparently got hacked), if KS wants my SSN, I'll just find somewhere else to visit. Maybe the local tourist places should be given this as comments as well.

If people are mad, politicians laugh. If businesses have an issue, politicians will stop and listen.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
johnm1 wrote:
But if you need to camp in KS since it's on the way home and too far to go around KS ... what's one supposed to do? Sounds like they kind of got ya by the ... well ... you know what!

I refuse to believe that one can be forced to give one's Social Security Number to a private enterprise like Reserve America just because Kansas doesn't want to run its own reservation system.

I think y'all ought to be lighting up the Kansas Attorney General's office with complaints!

In fact, I don't even want to GO to Kansas, and they're going to be hearing from me using the "send secure E-mail message" at the bottom of the
Kansas A.G's file a complaint page
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'll bypass Kansas. I spent a week there one day. Maybe it seemed like it. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
If you are off by one number, how do they know it's bogus?

johnm1
Explorer
Explorer
But if you need to camp in KS since it's on the way home and too far to go around KS ... what's one supposed to do? Sounds like they kind of got ya by the ... well ... you know what!
johnm
'13 GMC Serria D/A, CC, 4x4
'16 Forest River Vengeance 25V

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca, I agree.

acsimon
Explorer
Explorer
I am from Kansas, and given our current governor and state legislators this does not surprise me in the least.

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
Don't give it out. IT is stated on your card SS# is not for ID, tax use only.