cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Retracting power awning

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
Our new travel trailer has a power awning retracting the awning is very very slow almost to the point where it stops is that normal if not is there something I can do to fix it thanks for your help
9 REPLIES 9

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
There is a torsion spring on the A&EW/Dometics You just do not see it. but it's there it is inside the tube on the end opposite the motor I've had mine apart a few times.
Well, I don't want to argue, but the tube on my Dometic(A&E) awning is free to turn when the motor is out. If there is a torsion spring there, it doesn't seem to do anything.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a torsion spring on the A&EW/Dometics You just do not see it. but it's there it is inside the tube on the end opposite the motor I've had mine apart a few times.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
FWIW, the motor is working against the springs when retracting, so if it's a bit weak, that is when it will show up. The springs help extend it and basically the motor just keeps the arms from going out too abruptly.

You have that half backwards the Motor is AIDED by the springs when retracting (Well some of them opposed by others)

IF its an A&E weather pro then there are two gas struts that the Motor is workign against but there is a coil spring in the non-motor end of the roller that aids the motor

Now sure about Carefree

To the OP.. You might need to add a turn or two of Pre-tension to the coil spring.. I'm not going to tell you how as it is a "Dangerous" job.. Get a service tech to do it.
Yes, it does depend on the brand of awning. My Dometic (A&E) uses the struts to open the awning, and the motor works against the struts(springs) when it retracts. There is no torsion spring on my Dometic(A&E) awning. The struts are all the spring there is. I had it apart last year to replace the motor.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
FWIW, the motor is working against the springs when retracting, so if it's a bit weak, that is when it will show up. The springs help extend it and basically the motor just keeps the arms from going out too abruptly.

You have that half backwards the Motor is AIDED by the springs when retracting (Well some of them opposed by others)

IF its an A&E weather pro then there are two gas struts that the Motor is workign against but there is a coil spring in the non-motor end of the roller that aids the motor

Now sure about Carefree

To the OP.. You might need to add a turn or two of Pre-tension to the coil spring.. I'm not going to tell you how as it is a "Dangerous" job.. Get a service tech to do it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
On mine There is a Torginol Spring on the opposite end of the motor and it may need adjustment so that it will go in and out properly.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Kent. Start with lubrication.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I would lube all the tracks that the awning arms slide on.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best thing to do is check that the motor is working at full power. Jump from the battery to the motor itself to check that it works correctly, or check the amps when the motor is trying to work.

It's very possible the motor is shot. The awning motors are not very well protected from the weather and will often fail after a few years. I replaced ours when it started doing what you've described. It's not impossible to do yourself, but it's a hassle.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"