cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RODENTS

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
we are new to rv life and just bought a TT. yesterday I had a steel car port built to store it in. its against my shop on one side and closed on the other and back, great haven for rodents. we live in the country so we do have a few. question is what can a person do to minimize rodent damage. I don't like poison as I have a dog, neighbors have a cat but its not doing much.my TT looks like its sealed good on the bottom it has the cold weather option.
Jay D.
46 REPLIES 46

forkedhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Had mouse problems for years at deer camp, tried about everything. This year bought a small bucket of Tom Cat bars (I think is the correct name)from internet sight. Boom they chewed a little and GONE. no noise at night and no sign of them. I think Home Depot and Lowes may have them as well.

WilliamBentley
Explorer
Explorer
I quite agree with donn0128.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In support of half the last post.
one of the first things I "Installed" in my Motor home was a pair of Cats, Amber and Alex (NOTE: Both are "kitten proffed" Alas Amber is no longer with us, but Alex was very cuddly last night.

Even when we still lived in a house and only part time in the RV, They left their "Sent" about and when rodents come a sniffing and smell CAT...

Well. it's like this
Alex (and Amber) would invite the Mice to come and play
And to stay for lunch
But the mice all ran away
Don't want for the cats to upon them munch
Yes the mice would not with cats play
Did not wish to be Mouse Patg.
They ran very far. Least they be served TarTar.

(One hopes you are at least smiling by now).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
Cats outside and traps inside
:C

God Bless

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Myth busting natural mice repellents.

Wow, an article written by a pest control company saying home made remedies don't work and you should consult a professional. It must all be true. Chuck

If home remedies worked, the pest control guys would be spreading peppermint oil and dryer sheets to get rid of mice.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckbear wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Myth busting natural mice repellents.

Wow, an article written by a pest control company saying home made remedies don't work and you should consult a professional. It must all be true. Chuck
Too funny - LOL! :B :B
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
janstey58 wrote:
Cats are great except for the expense to feed, vets, etc....

My Peppermint oil costs me less than $15 and it also works.

So, now the question: Where do you get it?

GNC store.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Poison or traps are you best option. Rodents can cause a LOT of damage.

Learn to make your own bait station or buy one like this. The dog won't be able to get at the bait and your RV will be safe from big damage.

A bait station will keep a dog from getting at the bait - BUT: these new "2nd-generation" rodenticides not only kill the mice/rats (takes several days to do so) but also kills anything that eats that rodent, either when dead or just before it dies. So you could be killing neighborhood pets/hawks/owls/foxes, etc....

My dog ate a piece of bait that a mouse had carried out of the bait station. Thank God I saw him chewing something and saw the crumbs. Eight weeks of Veterinary treatment saved his life.

Yep. Two thumbs down for poison. Use traps.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Poison or traps are you best option. Rodents can cause a LOT of damage.

Learn to make your own bait station or buy one like this. The dog won't be able to get at the bait and your RV will be safe from big damage.

A bait station will keep a dog from getting at the bait - BUT: these new "2nd-generation" rodenticides not only kill the mice/rats (takes several days to do so) but also kills anything that eats that rodent, either when dead or just before it dies. So you could be killing neighborhood pets/hawks/owls/foxes, etc....

My dog ate a piece of bait that a mouse had carried out of the bait station. Thank God I saw him chewing something and saw the crumbs. Eight weeks of Veterinary treatment saved his life.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've live here in the country for almost 20 yrs and Peppermint doesn't work for me nor cats that brings fleas. Here's what I use outside, a couple near the MH and it works great using peanut butter for bait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGD4OWC0GZI

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
I use this for rodent control......

Lakeside

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hungry cat who brings me mice all the time. I help him out( (he's 12) by putting trays of poison where he can't get to them every fall before it gets cold. In the woodpile, the shed, and the crawl space. I use rat poison because we got rats (well not any more :B ), and no mice either.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip the poisons . A hunger cat is what I use in the shed where I store my camper. I just don't feed it much. That may not work for you but a bunch of snap traps and sticky traps will work.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
For every person who swears by peppermint oil and dryer sheets, there's another whose oil soaked cotton balls were urinated on, and dryer sheets were used as nesting material.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP