cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof vent confusion

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I want to add a Fantastic Fan to the LR/kitchen of our fiver. It currently has just a vent. Looking at the Fantastic Fans what is the best one for us. Want auto opening with either a wall mount control or wireless. Would also like a thermostat.

Seems to be several different models available that either have these features or they are optional. What are you folks using or what do you recommend? Also, what else do I need to purchase to complete the installation.

I see there is also the Maxxair with fan and vent combined. Looks neat but is pricey. thoughts on these.

Thankd for the help. Happy csmpingl
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian
6 REPLIES 6

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Fantastic fans in our 5er, in the bedroom one without a remote, in the LR one that has the remote dur to the taler ceiling. Both have rain sensors. I prefer the one without the remote for its simple operation. Love the fans, for me if I could easily reach the LR fan I would not have the remote. No regrets though. Batteries in the remote lasted about 18 months befor it hey needed replacing.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Also check out the MaxxFan units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a manual one and so far am happy with it, Less to go wrong than with the automatic ones, but there are advantages to the automatic ones too.

I will make a statement about the Maxx Air here.

Due to the way it works (It blows air DOWN onto the roof) unlike the Fantastic fan it does not need to close if it starts raining, The Maxx Air keeps right on working rain or shine.. This is why if my FF ever goes south, Well, you can figure out the rest of that I'm sure.

That said: I expect teh FF to last at least another decade or two.

As for me (My body that is) well, that's not so sure.. I am one year younger than my mother when she passed on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
Well the one thing to consider is wiring. Yes, a big part of the coaches wires, run inside the roof. In your case, if there is a wiring harness close to your existing vent to steal power from, you will be better off. You still need to "fish" wires over to/thru the wall to have a wall mounted switch though. Can be tough, certainly not impossible. However, as Johno02 said. In a 5er, the ceilings can be way up there, and putting the work in to a wall switch will pay dividends at first use.. I do like navegator's idea alot. I think that would be my choice.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Max air with remote control with thermostat and the cover made by max air for this unit.

navegator

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I made a mistake and installed a manual one, but have seen the error of my ways. I didn't want the auto opening as we have a MaxAire cover over it, and it will not open the top cover completely. Our problem is that the DW cannot reach the manual controls without a step stool, and it is almost too high for me. In our case a remote control would be a lot better. Now there are higher covers that will allow the vent cover to open completely. That would be our pick.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.