cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Vents

maranatha777
Explorer
Explorer
Changing roof to TPO on my R-Vision 2004 trailer and I discovered that the only screws holding down the roof vents were the ones holding the MaxxAir covers. I have never seen this in almost 30 years of full timing and RV School. They don't even have pre drilled holes. It was held on with the butyl tape and nothing else, is this a new style?

Thanks,

Big Al
5 REPLIES 5

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I would seriously consider RV Flex Armor, http://rvroof.com/, vs any rubber roof.

My rubber roof started failing after 5 years and the 12 year prorated warranty is a joke. I'm talking the roof membrane was failing, not a caulking problem. And with RV Flex Armor there is zero caulking to worry about.

I don't work for this company in any way, I'm just a very satisfied customer.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
There is a vent which clamps to the roof- the inside assembly uses four long machine screws to the top assembly, no holes in the roof ( other than the huge 14 x 14 one, that is)
-- Chris Bryant

Moved from Forum Technical Support

maranatha777
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Only 2 screw hole for leaks! If it stays put good idea.

(Just my opinion)I have a TPO roof. I would sure re-think TPO if it were me. Everytime you do something on the roof you have to make sure the right stuff is used. I use the 2 part especially made for TPO from Dicor. Dicor also came out (with in last year) with something on the front of tube that says "safe for TPO*" then look on the back the asterisk really means, which is "safe for MOST TPO roofs" How do you know your roof is one of ones that "most" it will work? I guess wait till you get a leak? Maybe too late by then. Again just my opinion, trying to save you a hassle I go thru.

Well it was 4 screws but I see your point. I was attracted to TPO because of no black streaks and I am planning on using a Firestone TPO and their adhesive. The adhesive is like an epoxy whereas every edpm roof I've installed uses a waterbase glue. I know TPO does wick water if it's not sealed properly so I'll seal top and bottom of all screw rails.
Do they allow 303 to be used on TPO according to your instructions? I am hoping that the way I install the roof membrane will be better than the factory install. I have seen some poor work in the last 30 years especially in areas like the roof and underneath.

Does DICOR allow Murphy's Oil Soap? I have used a bunch of products on rubber roofs and they never do what they promise. Thank you for your comeback.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Only 2 screw hole for leaks! If it stays put good idea.

(Just my opinion)I have a TPO roof. I would sure re-think TPO if it were me. Everytime you do something on the roof you have to make sure the right stuff is used. I use the 2 part especially made for TPO from Dicor. Dicor also came out (with in last year) with something on the front of tube that says "safe for TPO*" then look on the back the asterisk really means, which is "safe for MOST TPO roofs" How do you know your roof is one of ones that "most" it will work? I guess wait till you get a leak? Maybe too late by then. Again just my opinion, trying to save you a hassle I go thru.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"