cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rubber Roof Cleaner and Protectant

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
After it stops raining here in the NE, I will be cleaning the rubber roof on my TT. I've done some research and believe the best option is to use a medium bristle brush and clean with a solution of Murphy's Oil Soap. Then when dry, apply Airspace 303 Protectant.
As always, I will appreciate what other more experienced RV's do to clean and protect their rubber roof.
21 REPLIES 21

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
Aerospace 303 protectant is what I use also. This stuff is great for UV protection.

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
pmlevine wrote:
Thanks everyone for the good feedback, itโ€™s important to know what type of roof material is topside. Doesnโ€™t look like I have any documentation other than the Winnebago TT o owner manual. I found a link on-line which might be helpful to determine what type of roof is on my TT.

click

-------------------------------------------------------
I took the suggestion in the Youtube video, went inside my TT, removed the ceiling cover to the AC, and believe the roof material is TPO. The roof material is smooth white on one side, and textured white on the other side. EDIT: I had checked another Dicor Youtube video - which recommended 2 Step System Dicor Ultra Primer, Dicor Ultra Self Leveling Sealant. - WOW - I called Dicor to see if there was a small size can of primer because the price of a 3 quart can on Amazon was over $300. Dicor tech support told me they are no longer selling the 2 Step Ultra System - IT IS DISCONTINUED. Dicor tech support told me for TPO roofs to use denatured alcohol to clean first, then apply Dicor self leveling sealant 501 or 502.
I'm posting photos of the two sides of the TPO roof material.

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the good feedback, itโ€™s important to know what type of roof material is topside. Doesnโ€™t look like I have any documentation other than the Winnebago TT o owner manual. I found a link on-line which might be helpful to determine what type of roof is on my TT.

click

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never trust the owner's manual to tell me what type of roof is on my trailer, at least, WRT a Jayco trailer and accompanying manual. Maybe a Winnebago manual is different.

My manual is so generic, it's nearly useless. I have to go to the individual info on different systems that's included in the owner's bag to find out what is actually built into the trailer, and what's needed for cleaning, etc.

I doubt even Winnebago puts out a manual for each and every model TT they make. And I doubt they change said manual whenever a component changes from trailer to trailer.

Case in point. My manual talks about how to by-pass the water heater when winterizing. According to the manual, to by-pass a water heater, one needs to turn two valves one way, and the third valve the other. That's fine, except, Jayco changed the by pass system on my particular model year trailer, to a two valve only by-pass system.

You really need to check the information packets included in the owner's information bag to know for sure what type of roof, or other components you have in your particular trailer.

pmlevine wrote:
"The roof in the picture is not rubber. EPDM Rubber does not have a texture as in the picture. My bet would be it is Alpha Systems Superflex or possibly a TPO, but the texture sure looks like Superflex. I don't believe you ever mentioned the brand or year of trailer but most Thor and Forest River brands, Grand Design, Winnebago towables etc. use Superflex, and have for quite a few years."
----------------------
I appreciate the feedback. My TT is a 2016 Winnebago Micro Minnie, I checked the owners manual, and it indicates the TT has a rubber roof, and just wash with a granulated household cleaner and water. Also to NOT use a UV protectant. But I am going to call Winnebago, give them the specific VIN number to confirm the roof material.

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
pmlevine wrote:
"The roof in the picture is not rubber. EPDM Rubber does not have a texture as in the picture. My bet would be it is Alpha Systems Superflex or possibly a TPO, but the texture sure looks like Superflex. I don't believe you ever mentioned the brand or year of trailer but most Thor and Forest River brands, Grand Design, Winnebago towables etc. use Superflex, and have for quite a few years."
----------------------
I appreciate the feedback. My TT is a 2016 Winnebago Micro Minnie, I checked the owners manual, and it indicates the TT has a rubber roof, and just wash with a granulated household cleaner and water. Also to NOT use a UV protectant. But I am going to call Winnebago, give them the specific VIN number to confirm the roof material.

The Winnebago brochure claims it is TPO, but that's the current brochure, the 2016 brochure tells you little if nothing at all and neither mean a heck of a lot. I certainly would not trust the owners manual or brochure, and might not even trust what some factory phone rep claims. These companies change materials on a whim hence the disclaimers plastered on brochures and websites.

They usually give you a warranty sheet from the roof membrane manufacturer in the docs packet, which will tell you who made it and what it is. Dicor markets TPO also. One thing is certain and that is in 30 years of construction and having RVs I have never seen EPDM that has the texture shown in your prior pictures. EPDM is almost smooth other than on some you can see a thread pattern of the reinforcement layer under the white wear layer. It does not have a pebbled pattern. I was on our roof last night which is Alpha Superflex and the embossed texture is not pebbled like your pictures. The Superflex texture looks like some old bitty's crepey looking biceps. Rubber is a generic term in the RV Industry.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
I do mine once year.

303 is Good stuff and I use it on other things but much more expensive than 303

Guy

Yes, 303 has gotten to be more expensive than 303.................I guess

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
----------------------

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My roof is prettier than your roof, my roof....
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
STP was great stuff for certain uses.
My '97 5th wheel trailer with a 32' rubber roof has been washed three times with no protectant added. The roof looks like its 22 years old and still doing its job.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

I didnโ€™t use STP back in the day either.

Wow, I havenโ€™t even thought of STP since that time. Also, back then we kidded about it really meaning Stop Teenage Pregnancy.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
I do mine once year.
I clean it with liquid Spic and Span and then condition it with the Dicor roof protectant. I use a long handle sponge mop that I got at the dollar store which saves the back from bending over

303 is Good stuff and I use it on other things but much more expensive than 303

Guy

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
pmlevine wrote:
Here is a photo of the rubber roof on my TT, discolored from weathering. It at least warrants cleaning - just hosing down is not an option. I'm still not sure if/what UV product to use afterwards.

That roof looks great and doesn't need a thing. LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

Larry

The roof in the picture is not rubber. EPDM Rubber does not have a texture as in the picture. My bet would be it is Alpha Systems Superflex or possibly a TPO, but the texture sure looks like Superflex. I don't believe you ever mentioned the brand or year of trailer but most Thor and Forest River brands, Grand Design, Winnebago towables etc. use Superflex, and have for quite a few years.

With Superflex you do not need any treatment and the recommended cleaner is dish detergent. You may need something a little stronger from letting it go that long. Do not use Dicor on Superflex roof unless you want to bubble/wrinkle up the membrane. Their is a difference. Look in your doc packet for the roof membrane paperwork, then you'll know what you have.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Considering that you've had roof issues, I recommend and good cleaning and refresh of any questionable Dicor. Clean the area around where new Dicor needs to go with mineral spirits.

ProtectAll
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
pmlevine wrote:
Here is a photo of the rubber roof on my TT, discolored from weathering. It at least warrants cleaning - just hosing down is not an option. I'm still not sure if/what UV product to use afterwards.

That roof looks great and doesn't need a thing. LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL