cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Run Flat Tires ?

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Anyone have opinions on run flat tires on a Toad? We have AWD, need new tires, but not sure we like the run flat ride or cost?

Tried BFG, but it does not make that tire size. 245-50-18

Looked at Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 245-50-18, but can't find it. That size is what's on it now, but Continental RF ...

Only 26K miles, plenty of tread but just over six years on tires.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Or to sum it up, if run flats were really viable, they would be far more popular.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an SUV with Dunlop run flat tires. It is a good thing they were run flats because they were usually flat. They suffered three tread punctures in the first two years. They were finally ruined when my wife ran over a spark plug which pushed its way through the tire tread! I replaced them with regular tires and no problems since. I would cross Dunlops off your potentials list.

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
There is a totally new type of tire being developed that has ribs to support them and no air at all in them. Interesting to say the least. If something like that could hit the market at a REASONABLE PRICE then it could revolutionize the tire game. No more blowouts and damage to the rig and no more worries about the toad either.

Michelin Uptis? That would depend on your definition of "reasonable price", among other things.

The Uptis, tested on a car with curb weight of @2700 lbs (Mini Cooper), and the estimated price for one of those in 205/40R18 is north of $650.00 when it hits the market. It remains do be seen if they can develop that for something that has a curb weight of @ 5K lbs or more, which can haul another ton of weight or more at highway speed, such as a 1/2 ton pickup. Even then what would the price be? $1K each, give me 8 LOL. It's advertised as a "Sustainable Design" and when they use that term you'll pay out your rear end just for the use of those two words before they tack on the usual Michelin pay us for our name BS, which is all it amounts to.
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There is a totally new type of tire being developed that has ribs to support them and no air at all in them. Interesting to say the least. If something like that could hit the market at a reasonable price then it could revolutionize the tire game. No more blowouts and damage to the rig and no more worries about the toad either.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
run flats are only capable of running "flat" for about 50 miles at reduced speed. Downside is usually a much stiffer ride. So if you have run flats on a toad, if one goes flat how will you know it had a puncture and that you must reduce your speed and fairly soon get it replaced, like 50 miles????
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A better choice might be a remote TPMS.. if, as I and one two others I know of, get a flat on the towed the TPMS may well alert you BEFORE it totals the tire.. It did me and I added air, and added air, and added air, and added air and finally got to the tire store where they told me I'd been screwed, removed the screw. put in a patch and it held air after that.

As for the other two... Well one decided to install it later.. Totaled the tire, the Rim the brake rotor and over 2,000 in secondary damage to the fender.

The other did not have such a system totaled the tire.. I think the Rim was ok As was the rest of his towed... he (however) can afford to replace the tire (He's driving a Prevost Motorhome those start at what.. half a million?)

Nice musician however. One very funny song (Tommy Brandt: The Septic Tank Man)

Today I don't have a motorhome any more so my JEEP is not a towable model (Well on a trailer) TPMS (Factory) alerted me to a low tire so i added air, like 3 or 4 times and finally got to Belle Tire (Same as the first story but different store) I'd not been screwed this time.. I'd been bolted (Lag bolt..OK that's a big, BIG screw) Same ending hoever.> Total cost $0.00 and out the door.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
kid had them on a new van. not for us noise, ride, heavy,she just put michilin on her new van defenders so far there great.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
monkey44 wrote:
Yeah, Grit Dog, I kinda agree on not aging out specfically. But we will have to change them before long. Got tread now, but it's getting down there a bit. We like to do our prep before it becomes 'urgent'.

We have two AWD SUV's, and one with RF one without. We like the ride and handling without.

We don't like RF ride, and several others I know don't either. I began looking for the correct size and opinions on going with standard instead of RT, and any ramifications beyond 'no spare' ... which is easily dealt with.

Ya, makes sense.
Guess I look at this this way. Until my ability to change a flat tire changes and even if it does, roadside assistance somehow becomes not feasible, cost wise, the advantage of RF tires is zero to me.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah, Grit Dog, I kinda agree on not aging out specfically. But we will have to change them before long. Got tread now, but it's getting down there a bit. We like to do our prep before it becomes 'urgent'.

We have two AWD SUV's, and one with RF one without. We like the ride and handling without.

We don't like RF ride, and several others I know don't either. I began looking for the correct size and opinions on going with standard instead of RT, and any ramifications beyond 'no spare' ... which is easily dealt with.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
The six year old tires discussion is currently active in another thread. Just another internet spawned paranoia thing, barring any physical degradation to the tires (checking or cracking).

Never had run flats, but my FIL tried to sell a set of 'em that came on their new car, recently. Didn't like the ride and noone wanted the tires.