cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV accident at a Roundabout.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
This accident took place in Worthington, MN not to far away from me. I heard that the man driving had a hart attack but, I don't know for sure. I hope the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/tina.williams.942145/videos/1564595816932732/
63 REPLIES 63

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wish people would say if they are talking about single lane or two lane roundabouts. single lane ones work fine. multiple lane ones suck.
bumpy

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I wish that they would have , or still would, run a public information campaign here in MN when they first started adding them. Instead they just started building them without telling any of us how they worked.

Like this:
www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MDOT_RoundaboutHandout_360069_7.pdf

I'll bet there was material but it's hard to distribute to passing drivers.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
jfkmk wrote:

Not necessarily true. The old circles I'm referring to were quite small. I've been in roundabouts that were huge and some that were small. I've been in some where the drivers entering yield, and some where the drivers already in the roundabout yield. They vary state by state and even vary within states.

Consistency is one of the issues being solved with the modern ones. You always drive them the same way.

But the points I made were the main issues (there are other secondary issues addressed also). Just because a few weren't too bad, doesn't mean most didn't have these issues.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
tdiller wrote:

The newest one I know of is on Charles road east of rte. 47.Charles rd and Raffel rd. Prior to it becoming a roundabout there was talk of putting a light there. I don't think there was enough traffic to justify paying comed so a traffic circle was installed instead. I like it and travel through it several times a week.

I havenโ€™t been through there for a while, but thatโ€™s a great location for one with the high school just south of there.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
wenglish wrote:
Magic Roundabout
(nuff said) ๐Ÿ˜„

Good grief!

wenglish
Explorer
Explorer
Magic Roundabout
(nuff said) ๐Ÿ˜„

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
They put a roundabout on a rural road out by me that is a heavily traveled North/South route. well they made it so tight that semis cannot negotiate it. and there was no need for it, because the intersection it was put in doesn't see that much side road traffic!

Are you talking about the one on Rte 47? That would be a case of the state being economical (cheap) and buying the minimal amount of land required for a roundabout. I believe the reason it was put in was to reduce backups on Rte 47 caused by the stop signs which were there previously. From what I have seen traffic flow has improved.

dodge guy wrote:
You should see the new ridiculous interchanges they now have for expressways with the lanes switching sides over the bridge. completely ridiculous!

I assume you are referring to a Diverging Diamond Interchange. Hereโ€™s an explanation of how they work and their potential advantages.

The newest one I know of is on Charles road east of rte. 47.Charles rd and Raffel rd. Prior to it becoming a roundabout there was talk of putting a light there. I don't think there was enough traffic to justify paying comed so a traffic circle was installed instead. I like it and travel through it several times a week.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting article about death by stop sign:

Article

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
They aren't Rundabouts, according to a Montana Dept. of Transportation enganeer, they are "Traffic Calming Devices"! What a joke. To the earlier poster who talked about them pulling them out of Jersey, I always thought that Flemington was the king of traffic calming devices. Then when the state started taking them out, the pink slipped "Traffic Calming Device" enganeers brought their talents or lack there of out West. To the poster from Astoria, OR. and Yuma, AZ., wait until you use Araby RD. and I-8 here in Yuma, and they ain't done yet! They sure don't calm me as the hackles get very large on my neck!

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
We have many roundabouts here and I love them. I very seldom have to stop and if I do only for a few seconds. They have been here for 4/5 years and at first NOBODY liked them now it's second thought. Those people coming from an area that does'nt have them hate them and take forever to pass thru them but not enough to bother me. I say build more.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Up here they are called "rotaries" and work just fine.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gotta love roundabouts on a motorcycle. Great fun.

Of course if somebody spilled a little diesel fuel, all bets are off. I watched a friend, who wasn't going fast at all, go down on a roundabout in Spain when he he hit a slight splash of diesel fuel.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a relatively new roundabout at the intersection of two state highways near our upstate NY cottage. It's a slightly unusual design in that half of the circle is two lane, and half is one lane. Apparently the DOT engineers did their homework, and really understood where the heaviest traffic flows were and how they split off at each exit. It works remarkably well with far fewer and much smaller accidents than with the old lighted intersection, along with a much smoother traffic flow in all directions.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
When they first started putting in Roundabouts in my area I hated them. But, now that I have gotten used to them they are not so bad. My complaint is that the signage that they are using in MN to direct you around them is horrible. Now that someone above said "if you are going left use the left lane" that will be helpful to me the next time I go around one.

I wish that they would have , or still would, run a public information campaign here in MN when they first started adding them. Instead they just started building them without telling any of us how they worked.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I really really like one lane roundabouts. I think they are vastly superior in some circumstances. I am not as fond of 2 lane roundabouts though.

JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!