cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Anti-freeze question.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I used RV anti-freeze for the first time this past winter. Previously I just drained lines and used my compressor to blow the remaining water out.

Since I have cancelled travel plans for this summer, and really have no ability to tell if I can even travel this fall, I'm questioning as to if I should drain the solution out of my trailer.

Is there any reason it can't be left in the lines for extended periods, as in 12 months? Of course I'm really hoping things will improve and I'll be back camping in a few months, but if not, I see no reason to have to drain and then refill next winter.
23 REPLIES 23

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drain the pink stuff out of my lines immediately after winterizing so nothing is left in the lines and it makes flushing much faster in the spring.

I say drain it and don't worry about it in case you can't get out this year. It still won't freeze next winter and it isn't in your lines all year.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
so with all this help,, I use the pink stuff, flush clean. use your own good sense .do what makes you feel good about the job. p.s. I think one winter is enough.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The anti-freeze could soak into the lines, aluminum water heater tank and any other porous portions of fresh water system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Please, please I'm not asking about anti-freeze vs. blowing out lines. I'm not asking about what if I get so feeble minded that I forget to flush the system and I drink a gallon of the pink stuff before I realize what happened. None of the above!

All I'm simply asking is if the RV anti-freeze will cause any issues by leaving it in the line for a year.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
From a person that doesn't use anti=freeze in fresh water lines, flush it out and sanitize the system.

I will go with that. And after you flush and clear the system.. You will most likely go back to blowing out the lines.

Oh I know about all the WARNING types who yammer about the few harmless drops of water that remain in well blown out lines (I like to blow 'em out at least 10 times pausing between blows) Ignore them.

But Just remember this: If the AIR freezes.. You won't be worried about the RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
First - read the label of the product you used. If there are limits, it should tell you.

Second - if you are like me and most of us who threw away the jugs. Just remember to flush and sanitize before you use the RV. Write a bit sign and tape it over the sink so you don't forget.

The value of RV anti-freeze is not that it avoids freezing. It will freeze if the temps get cold enough. But it will NOT EXPAND as it freezes like water, thus will not damage the lines, valves and fixtures.

Personally, at the relatively cheap price compared to replacing broken valves and such - I'd flush it out and add new next winter.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
From a person that doesn't use anti=freeze in fresh water lines, flush it out and sanitize the system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just doesnโ€™t take that long to rinse out or cost that much to reinstall IMO. I want to be ready to go when itโ€™s safe too!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only reason I can see is you just might forget you didn't clear the lines if the occasion comes up for a trip soon. I forget a lot of stuff now.