cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV cameras

Packmann
Explorer
Explorer
So I just acquired a 2013 Rockwood Roo 23RS that is in mint condition due to a meticulous former owner. I am moving up from a pop up so there are a few things new to me.

I was talking to my neighbor over the weekend who also had an RV and we had a discussion on Cameras.

I would like to get one installed before Memorial weekend and any tips or recommendations would be great. I haven't purchased a camera yet but I would like to use it while towing to help lane changes and also backing into camp sites.
Me- 46 Packer fan
Wife - Age (classified) but still beautiful
Daughter- 6 - Our pride and joy
German Shepard
Puggle - Fear the Puggle, the shepard is a coward.

2004 Ford Explorer (V6)
Still tenting it, hope to have a camper soon.
9 REPLIES 9

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
My 1964 F100 didn't offer a radio or AC or seat belts as factory options (they were available as dealer installed options). It had a manual choke, two speed windshield wipers, a bulb on the floor you pushed with your foot for squirting washer fluid on the windshield. Non power mirrors, three on the tree transmission and gas tank behind the seat in the cab. It didn't have a back up camera either.... but once you have one that's set up right, you kinda get used to them.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Front camera, I'm on the edge of putting one in both my car and truck. Seen too many people getting into accidents recently caused by other people, but getting blamed for the accident. Even my wife was on a jury where it appears the woman took off from the light and then jammed on her brakes. She sued the other driver, and almost got some money out of the deal. One jurist wanted to award her 250k. Unresolved questions were asked at the post trial review, like has she sued other drivers that rear ended her. Why were there at least 4 other paint colors on her rear bumper. Daughter also got into an accident, and got the ticket, when the other driver clearly caused the accident, and yest i get it, it was my daughter. Their mistake was, she doesn't have any insurance or money to sue for. Couple of friends have had people back into them at stop signs.

Rear Camera... For some reason, my wife and my communications on parking the RV haven't been going well. For as incredibly intelligent as she is, her left and right are challenging. Pretty much depends on which way she is facing. There are times I have wished for a camera ๐Ÿ™‚

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
D.E.Bishop wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
Millions of people back up and drive forward with trailers without a camera.

Ah, and people used to have a toilet behind every tree, no seat and no disposal with the flip of a lever.:W

Cameras not only help in backing but also in passing other vehicles. An accessory but a really nice one.
The thing is, almost everybody has an inside toilet, and almost nobody pulling a trailers has cameras. Must be some reason one is universally used and one is not.
It's your money.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would rather spend my money on camping fees, fuel, or other needs rather than a backup camera for a trailer. There has never been a single time that I have found one to be necessary or even desirable.

I suggest that the OP try towing and using his trailer for a bit of time before spending the money on one. I think he may find it entirely unnecessary.

Just make sure you have good towing mirrors and use them. When backing into a campsite, get out and look before backing, plan your approach, and use a spotter (wife or other) to warn of problems and when to stop.
I always had my wife stand right where I wanted the rear left corner of my trailer to end up. I could then aim at her and usually backed in in one shot. She would raise her arm up when the corner reacher her location.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:

Ah, and people used to have a toilet behind every tree, no seat and no disposal with the flip of a lever.:W

Cameras not only help in backing but also in passing other vehicles. An accessory but a really nice one.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
Check out also the Furrion systems. Well reviewed though a bit pricey.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If a simple install is of value get this.

Picture is great and the 984 ft range can easily be obtained.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
YES, Garmin makes a GPS, Front Camera with chip and back up camera which can be on a full time or only when you back up. Both are recorded with chips in the Dash Cam. Garmin Here is the link as I see they also have the same setup without GPS. GARMIN showing backup
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?