cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Consumer Group: Worthwhile or Not So Much?

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Before anyone jumps on my about searching before asking... I did a forum search. I just can't find exactly what I am looking for.. :S

I have seen recommendations for the RV Consumer Group. It *seems* like a good idea, if the information is impartial and actually adds value. (I don't want something that says 99 out of 100 vehicles are a "good buy.")

For example.. I checked out RVguide.com Good thing it is free, since it seems to be pretty much worthless. If I am going to fork over $140 to RV Consumer Group I would like to know that I am getting some decent information that I can't easily find for free somewhere else.

So... While justifications are certainly welcome(and encouraged!)... A simple thumbs up, thumbs down would also suffice if you are in a hurry!

Thanks in advance!

Chris :?
23 REPLIES 23

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
More To See wrote:
It would be money well spent. RV manufacturers put rigs on the road that should not be allowed out there for pure safety reasons.You don't want one of those.

But the RV Consumer Group goes well beyond pure safety in their ratings. They discuss RVs on a lot of other issues too. Studying their materials is an education about well made RVs.

In these days of wonderful free or 99 cent Apps for your smart phone $140 might seem like a lot of money for the RV Consumer Group but they for sure do not get any meaningful support from the RV industry -- from top to bottom. That alone should tell you something. I'd sign up with them.
What rigs are you referring to that should not be allowed on the roads for pure safety reasons?

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Rolln -- Thanks for the clarification. I can see in your line of work why it wouldn't be for you. From your assessment it sounds like it is perfect for what I am looking for.

For what I am looking for, Physical and Comparative are more important than someone's impression, which as we all know, always seem to point to the fact that the person who is giving the opinion has managed to buy the PERFECT RV -- Except for those few who feel that they bought the biggest lemon in the world and they would be better served driving it into the nearest ravine.

More To See wrote:
might seem like a lot of money for the RV Consumer Group but they for sure do not get any meaningful support from the RV industry -- from top to bottom. That alone should tell you something.

n7bsn wrote:
At one point their organizers were banned from attending the local RV shows. This was done by the company running the shows, at the request of several manufacturers.
But ask yourself, why an informed buyer scared these firms.

These to points made by MTS and n7bsn, to me, make a lot of sense.

Think I will give it a try. After all, when getting ready to spend $60-90k the cost of fuel I will spend in the first 300 miles is probably a worthwhile investment, based on what I am reading in this thread.

I will follow up to update how I made out.

Thanks again all!
Chris

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
It would be money well spent. RV manufacturers put rigs on the road that should not be allowed out there for pure safety reasons.You don't want one of those.

But the RV Consumer Group goes well beyond pure safety in their ratings. They discuss RVs on a lot of other issues too. Studying their materials is an education about well made RVs.

In these days of wonderful free or 99 cent Apps for your smart phone $140 might seem like a lot of money for the RV Consumer Group but they for sure do not get any meaningful support from the RV industry -- from top to bottom. That alone should tell you something. I'd sign up with them.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses so far. Yes, the "Thumbs Down" was what I ran across in my search. It seemed that there were a few people who basically gave it a thumbs down, but didn't explain what they didn't like. I certainly don't like that you have to PAY for it... but I think that is just because the internet has made many of us feel that EVERYTHING should be free. I don't mind paying if someone put some actual work into a product. I think that is fair.

Anyway, please keep the opinions coming!!!!

Chris

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
Thumbs down

What didn't you like about it? Just curious.

What year did you subscribe to?
๐Ÿ™‚

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
I swear by it. Used it to help me avoid the junk RV's twice now. Once in 2000. Again in 2008.
How else can you get an independent opinion about an RV?
Not from the manufacturer, that's for sure.
Not from an owner either. Owner's tend to voice an opinion about their RV that validates their choice. Few are willing to admit to a very expensive mistake.

I was in the market for a quality Class C and was able to narrow my search down to the 5 star rated choices. Why spend good money on a 2 or 3 star piece of junk?

I also like Consumers Report magazine for similar reasons. Yes it costs money, but I think it saves me more than it costs over the long run.

For those who don't like RV Consumer Group. Have you used it? If so, what didn't you like? Perhaps I missed something. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.
๐Ÿ™‚

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I've used them and consider their information useful.

Their general ratings are informative, their books are worthwhile.
For me, the best book of theirs is the one on how to inspect an RV yourself. This can help you to decide what is important to you, and how to look for it.

At one point their organizers were banned from attending the local RV shows. This was done by the company running the shows, at the request of several manufacturers.
With the demise of these builders, this is no longer true.
But ask yourself, why an informed buyer scared these firms.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee