cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Consumer Group

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be in the market soon for a 5th wheel for full timing. I'm researching as much information as I can get. To that end, what level of credibility does RV Consumer Group have in the RV community?
17 REPLIES 17

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
New Horizons have the quality and workmanship you are looking for, but they are expensive and heavy.

I don't believe they offer a dealer network because they sell direct from the factory.

Their forum is a good consumer review forum.

LINK to N/H

Lakeside

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Luke Porter wrote:

About the same time there was a discussion in another forum about this guys use of the non-profit, yet there was none of the required IRS filings by the group.

Probably because no-one involved actually knew what they were talking about.

They have a registered DBA (Doing Business As) in Washington and their IRS registration is under BaseCamp

Last time I checked they 990 filed for every year since 1982
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
They can be, and are, useful. I've used their info, and the knowledge I learned from them to help buy several rigs now.

I've been a member (off and on, mostly off) over the years.

No they don't just collect sales flyers; they inspect rigs, visit factories, ask owners, etc

No they don't buy rigs, but they do talk to people that do.

One of the publications I bought from them was a book on how to inspect RVs your self. Knowing how to look for quality and how to tell what was "good" and what was "bad" is really useful.

Bottom line, they are a tool to help you make a wise choice.

Baloney!! (or.... "Balogna")

As far as a "tool to help you make a wise choice" it's as valuable
as a left-handed monkey wrench for right-handed monkeys.

Foolish me - several years ago when I was in the market for a new 5h
wheel, I thought it would be a worthwhile purchase.

Wrong! - complete waste of money!

They don't do any testing, or talking to owners - simply gather specs (from previous year/s models) and formulate "opinions".

Of course, as always, if it rings *YOUR* chimes..........

~

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Education is their best value to me- people get mad because they want to know if xyz rig is good (often after they purchase). RVCG is not for that. They will, however, teach you what to look for.
-- Chris Bryant

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
According to their web site - rv.org, they've been around since 1982, but I've never heard of them.

Purchasing an RV is a cross between purchasing a car and a home. You really need to get in them and experience them, you can't take others' opinions. Just because the RV Consumer Group loves one camper doesn't mean it is the best one out there.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of them. Are they new? Who are they?

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
I love that "Highway Control" rating---like they have any idea. I had a Newmar MountainAire with dual tandem wheels---it scored poorly. After pulling that thing a couple of hundred thousand miles (really), I never figured out what the problem was.

Around 15 years ago "they" was just a guy. You could buy a membership that included maybe 30 minutes of phone time with the guy---forget his name.

About the same time there was a discussion in another forum about this guys use of the non-profit, yet there was none of the required IRS filings by the group.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
None.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I would hit an RV show as mentioned and find a model you think you would like, then schedule a factory tour and see how they are built and the somewhat lack of quality and see how they are spit out the door. Not trying to discourage you but just wanting to open your eyes as to the manufacturing process. Most are built in northern IN.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
If you are from Arlington Virginia, and if you have some time before a purchase, consider going to a large RV show. There is one in Hershey PA in early September, billed as the largest in the country, that is not very far from you. You can visit multiple manufacturers and floorplans at one place, in contrast to a dealer that might only carry one or two brands.

I have no experience with the RV consumer group, only what others have said. So, I can't provide any first-hand info.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
They can be, and are, useful. I've used their info, and the knowledge I learned from them to help buy several rigs now.

I've been a member (off and on, mostly off) over the years.

No they don't just collect sales flyers; they inspect rigs, visit factories, ask owners, etc

No they don't buy rigs, but they do talk to people that do.

One of the publications I bought from them was a book on how to inspect RVs your self. Knowing how to look for quality and how to tell what was "good" and what was "bad" is really useful.

Bottom line, they are a tool to help you make a wise choice.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

jeomelia
Explorer
Explorer
They do help get thru all the hype and glitz and help you to narrow you choices down. Carrying capacity is one of the items they look at how many of us roll down the road over loaded?
1999 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Diesel
2005 Desert Fox 28KS
BrakeSmart
1992 Roadtrek Dodge Versatile
'...traveled the same road as many..."

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
They can certainly help you to sort through tons of data to narrow down your list. You could also do that on your own but not as easily. They have been in business a long time so they must be providing a service that enough people want to keep them in business. I have never used them so I would be to people that have actually used their service to find out if it was worth what they paid. Opinions from people that have not used their service are like ..., everyone has one.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We used their ratings when we were deciding on what RV to buy and considered it another source of information to help us choose along with visits to RV shows, dealers, and campground to talk to owners.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)