Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Direct - Too good to be true?

Campin__Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

Someone on the forums mentioned RV Direct to me for purchasing a TT. When we got the quote last night, I nearly fainted dead away. LOL

How many of you have purchased from them and did you have any trouble at all? ANY cons at all to purchasing a TT that way? Anything we should know ahead of time? Can you haggle on the price they quote you? (Although, I don't know why we would! The price is amazing!) It just seemed too good to be true. Will be awaiting your responses. Thanks!
68 REPLIES 68

OswaltHut
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice - I will start a new topic to continue this discussion.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
OswaltHut wrote:
Rookie on the net here contemplating the purchase of a new Class A, custom-ordered just the way I want from one of the major super wholesalers like RV One Superstores or Wholesale RV Club, etc. Like to hear feedback, both positive & negative, from others who have gone this route. So far, my local dealers aren't even on the same planet with respect to pricing! If it was only a few percent difference, I'd say maybe... But can anybody tell me why I should pay a local dealer $90K, when I can get the same coach custom-ordered for less than $70K from one of the big wholesalers? By my simple math, that's like a 30% profit margin for the local guy, and it's like pulling teeth to get them to budge an inch on pricing! What am I missing about this picture??

Welcome to the forum.

The problem with tagging your question onto an older thread is that many answers will be responding to the original thread. You would be better off starting your own thread to get your questions answered.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
$20 thousand in savings? That is a no-brainer!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
OswaltHut wrote:
Rookie on the net here contemplating the purchase of a new Class A, custom-ordered just the way I want from one of the major super wholesalers like RV One Superstores or Wholesale RV Club, etc. Like to hear feedback, both positive & negative, from others who have gone this route. So far, my local dealers aren't even on the same planet with respect to pricing! If it was only a few percent difference, I'd say maybe... But can anybody tell me why I should pay a local dealer $90K, when I can get the same coach custom-ordered for less than $70K from one of the big wholesalers? By my simple math, that's like a 30% profit margin for the local guy, and it's like pulling teeth to get them to budge an inch on pricing! What am I missing about this picture??

I would take the savings in a heartbeat a find a alternative independent service shop or dealer to complete any warranty service if needed.
Your local guy maybe reluctant to provide warranty service but I would let the warranty issue stop me from taking the savings
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
OswaltHut wrote:

You'd be out of your head to do business with a local dealer when you can save $20,000 grand. Do a through PDI, stay in the area for a few days and work out any bugs and check you bank balance for the $20 grand you didn't spend.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campin'_Nana wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Someone on the forums mentioned RV Direct to me for purchasing a TT. When we got the quote last night, I nearly fainted dead away. LOL

How many of you have purchased from them and did you have any trouble at all? ANY cons at all to purchasing a TT that way? Anything we should know ahead of time? Can you haggle on the price they quote you? (Although, I don't know why we would! The price is amazing!) It just seemed too good to be true. Will be awaiting your responses. Thanks!

RV Direct and RVwholesaler's prices are indeed correct. I got prices from both a couple years ago and was ready to order until a local dealer matched their price. BUT, one of them (RV Direct as I recall) required me to use their financing, which was not as good as I could get on my own. Both are reputable companies that have been around a long time. Just do you research and you'll be fine.

Also, keep in mind delivery cost; where I am on the West Coast, delivery was about $3500 from the East, but they still where many thousands less that local dealers.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

OswaltHut
Explorer
Explorer

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
I hope you don't get burned. The local dealer has a store...inventory....property taxes....employees....insurance....floorplan interest...etc none of which RV Direct or RV Wholesalers has. You buy it its delivered direct to you and you are on your own. You may get service but at the end of the line since the dealer is going to service his customers...that supported him...first. That is a good businessman. FWIW...wife and I just priced a new rig and RV Direct was 900 bucks cheaper then local dealer....not worth NOT supporting the local dealers business and family.

Obviously, you know nothing about RVW or RVDirect.

both have brick and mortar dealerships, with service bays, employees, taxes, property, inventory, insurance, store, foorplan interest.

So don't bash them when you have no idea how they operate.

As was said, they are both traditional RV dealers who have a Internet based business model that is very successful and they aren't the only ones, just the best known.

We almost bought from RVW but found a better price at a slightly closer but smaller RV dealership that also has a strong Internet business model.
Just not as big as the other two.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
When offered a price too good to be true, it probably isn't true. You don't mention what type of TT you were searching for, but remember there have been plenty of floods and other catastrophes across the USA.

Then again - it just may be *VERY* true..:R

The above poster is in Los Angeles - So. CA - year round camping weather, and the home of marked-up RVs, and "gotta-have-it-now" buyers.

*If* you are willing to order the TT - the internet is your friend!

Shop exactly what you want to dealers "near and far" for the best price, always "apples to apples".

Use the RV Direct quote as your "benchmark" price.
Who will meet or beat it?

How far are you willing to travel for the best deal - or one close to it - as well as closer to your home?

BTW - I'm in So. CA. On purchasing a 5th, I beat the heck out of the prices by the locals, bought exactly at the same price (out of state - but closer) as from the "wholesale" dealers.

I would do it exactly the same again in a heartbeat...;)

tnscoutr
Explorer
Explorer
Before we purchased this past spring, I had checked with dozens of dealers online. I decided that I was not comfortable with the trailer being delivered before I could inspect it, so those over 5-6 hours from us were eleminated. We were almost ready to pull the trigger on a unit in Ohio when I checked with the local dealer one last time. They had just gotten in the same trailer that we were looking at in Ohio, and they matched the other price. The rest, as they say, is history. Very pleased with the deal that we got and the trailer. Remember that the so called "wholesale" dealers are not actually selling units at wholesale. They are simply rv dealers that have made the decision to use an internet based business model. All that I contacted also sell rv's at their location.
06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
2015 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS

Campin__Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

@ Campin'_Nana A very thourough PDI is important with any new RV purchase but especially important when buying far from home. Finding it later can be a big hassle.
Check everything. Every: latch, valve, lock , switch, hose, window, furnace, A/C pump, roof,screw,outlet,light, door ,hatch etc.

Thank you, Lantley! Great advice!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
@ Pitch warranty is important. The RV industry is known for lack of quality control. No one wants to get stuck with a brand new leaking lemon RV that cost 20,30,40 50 thousand diollars.

@ Campin'_Nana A very thourough PDI is important with any new RV purchase but especially important when buying far from home. Finding it later can be a big hassle.
Check everything. Every: latch, valve, lock , switch, hose, window, furnace, A/C pump, roof,screw,outlet,light, door ,hatch etc.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Campin__Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the opinions. As I mentioned earlier, we will be saving a minimum of 6K, so this is a no brainer for us.

Rv Express has told us, if we go with them, we can stay a night or 2 in the trailer on their lot, which we think is a great idea. It will give us even more time to find any problems it may have.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fail to understand why folks get into such a tizzy over warranty work.
Number one, It is only good for a year, or two at the most.
The warranty is actually only on the box itself. Components are covered by their respective manufacturers, sometimes for much longer periods the RV as a whole.
As long as you insist on an extremely thorough PDI before acceptance,and you are happy with the fit, finish, and construction, I would have no hesitation!