cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fire Exit (aka exiting Dukes of Hazzard style)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We were parked in a field tonight with no one around and were playing with the fire escape windows to get air into the camper. We have been talking for a while about emergency planning with the fire escapes and practicing exits and whatnot. So tonight, we played around with the idea and frankly, I'm very sad and very afraid.

#1- I could get my kids out *if* I'm standing outside and able to "catch" them.

#1a- we didn't test it but my wife could catch my 3 year old son, but no way would be able to catch my 12 year old daughter (not without getting hurt in the process; but I guess if it comes to that- being hurt or kid dying, the decision is easy).

#2- neither my wife or I could make it out. (yes, bold, underline, and caps.)

Maybe we'll be willing to plummet face first to the ground in the event of a real fire. BUT- in practice, neither of us could force ourselves to do it.

Now, for the videos. My apologies for fat guy stomach hanging out of the bottom of my shirt.

Daughter came out. But notice it took 20 seconds and that doesn't include the couple of stutter starts to figure out the best way.
https://youtu.be/5NG6GEiSdgo

Son popped right out, but this was the lowest window. Would he come out IF he had to free fall a bit before I caught him?
https://youtu.be/FqBkp41R36w

And now, my 3 failed attempts. I gave up fairly quick because that was an option. But still- the idea of falling face first down 6' wasn't comfortable.
https://youtu.be/f5sv1WDEzeQ

https://youtu.be/KlZ0QCNkr2A

https://youtu.be/gKmmaVSSK2o
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
27 REPLIES 27

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The daughter would have no problem. She is young could easily jump that far. Send her out first and then have her help her brother.

bukhrn 's video link shows feet first belly down and use a blanket to keep the sharp window ledge from hurting you. That looks like the best way to me.

But, my TT is so small I am not be worried about it. I can make it out the door. If I couldn't it would not make any difference because the emergency exit window is on the same end of the TT as the door. So it doesn't really help me.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try this, seems to work better than your system. http://www.macthefireguy.com/videos
Watch the one that says " Know your escape hatch"
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Escaping a fire is one of the reasons we bought our Class B. We have FOUR easy exits - two on the passenger side, a double door in the rear, and one on the driver's side. We would not consider any RV without an escape for the driver, one for the front passenger, and at least one in the cabin. Guess you won't see us in a Class A anytime soon...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that my escape window would be sufficient for me. But kicking out larger Windows would work I hope. My wife being somewhat handicapped I would need to assist her out first and hope she landed without very much harm.

This is why I have several fire extenguishers and more importantly I have a smoke detector every ten feet in the motor home.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
How tall is your 5'er that your worried about someone getting hurt!

Seriously, As you said though, a twisted ankle or broken leg is nothing compared to staying inside!

Now that I think about it, how many people can fit through an emergency exit? Some are pretty small!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A longer escape window makes it easier to come out feet first. Everyone needs to open the escape windows every couple years as the can get hard to open BUT some are not hinged so make sure you do not drop it.
If all you have is the cheap 2 BC fire extinguishers that come in RVs... good luck if you ever have a fire.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had my door latch break twice (the current striker bolt is of superior metal and won't break... I hope) and had to use the Emergency windows.. No problem at all for my 65 year old by 320 pound frame.. Nice short drop to the ground (a foot or less) when I release the window ledge.. Getting back in however takes a ladder.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Never underestimate your ability to ESCAPE in a life/death situation. Never underestimate your ability to risk danger for the sake of saving your family. I understand the desire to learn your escape routes and practice, but in the heat of the moment (no pun intended), you will be out of that unit one way or another.

Head first is the way to do it f you have to exit through a port hole. Your gut compresses easier on the bottom. If your gut condenses upward, there's too much body mass up top and you might get stuck. FWIW, I have a business colleague that's about the size of the OP and he goes in and out of 14" and 16" oval shaped port holes on tanks. It's a slow process, but it can be done. The one time he tried to come out feet first, he got stuck and almost passed out due to the fumes.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Feet first: Sounds good but a rather awkward thing to do. As others have said, a fire licking at your heels is a good motivator but only after trying to get out the door.

Fire extinguishers: The factory supplied ones are fine. You need to take them out every few months and rotate them. If you can't feel the material inside moving a few raps with a piece of wood on the bottom will usually break the contents free. Only if you can't get the material to move do they need to be changed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
My fire plan:

1. I threw out THE rinky dink fire extinguisher that comes with RV's.
Replaced it with "3" standard house extinguishers. One up front, one mid ship, and one in the bedroom.

2. They make many different models of "fire escape ladders" that affix under the window in your RV that is your fire exit window. IMHO a must have.

3. I have seen MANY Class A, and big bus coaches where when parked the owners place one of those foldable ladders under the fire exit windows. Being proactive does save lives.

A real must for the elderly RV'er who may have limited mobility or even us younger ones that would have a real hard time making it out and down onto the ground without killing ourselves too.

AND BTW:
I was at an RV rally where the fire department was putting on an RV fire safety class.

The fire department is very concerned about the extinguishers that come with RV's they showed us that The small fire extinguisher that comes with RV's. They ALL settle to the bottom, so when you go to use them in an emergency they do NOT work.

They also stated that majority of the RV fires they where called out on, it was BECAUSE when the owners went to use the factory provided extinguisher to put out a small fire.......only to find it had settled to the bottom and did NOT work.

That night a few of us decided to try our 'factory' supplied extinguishers frighteningly none of them worked. The key here is the longer you have your RV the more apt it will have settled firmly to the bottom. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rosspulliam
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't the idea to go feet first, on your belly, so you can hinge at the waist and lower yourself down? I'm a bigger dude too, but when it comes to getting out quickly, efficiently, and safely it seems to me to let my gut drag and get scraped up than try to dive bomb head first. You were trying to avoid damaging the RV, which I appreciate, but if there's not a dinette or something there to start on your belly and push yourself out with your hands then get your behind on the edge and roll so your belly is on the window frame and your legs are dropping to the ground. Slow yourself as much as possible with your arms and upper body (via friction if you have to).

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I do believe that Old-Biscuit and fortunately have never been faced with the beast.

It does give me a marked reason for getting proper fire extinguishers, training on their use, and properly placing them around the rig. Including trainings for my wife and older kid. As well as my mother-in-law who watches the kids overnight in the camper for us from time to time.

I'd also like to figure out a way to actually be able to make it out, or at least have a viable way to get to the ground. Face first seemed like it would suck and I couldn't figure out feet first.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Practice vs FOR REAL.....

Fire is a motivator and if necessary you will throw love ones out and dive afterwards.

Fire is a motivator.

I express this as one who has fought fires in confined spaces (Engine room NAVY, Fuel Oil Tank NAVY and several in Power Plants during my career)
Fire is a motivator.

You will do what is necessary IF needed. Practice is good and helps ID issues/concerns.
Have a plan-----Know what to do, how to do it and WHERE to meet up.

Remember 'escape windows' are Option B & C.........Option A is out the entry door ASAP

Fire IS a motivator!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31