cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Food chain

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Along time ago someone posted the RV Food Chain. I know that I'm at the bottom of it, but I forgot the order. We own a half ton truck,palomino real lite 1603 popup TC. I think that I am just above a pull type popup camper. If someone could list the order I would appreciate it. This is just for fun only.:)
26 REPLIES 26

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
The guy with the 45'DP & the Mercedes toad is severely limited on where he can go 'camping'. The guy with the little popup & mid sized crossover can go almost anywhere.

Who is where in the 'food chain'?

Well, the guy with big rig does have to eat the most and spend most of his time and resources hunting, so I guess food-chain-wise he's number one.
However, pyramid-of-power wise I'm sorry to have to report that he'd be at the very bottom, there being so little room at the top.

Pups and Pharaohs rule! :B

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The guy with the 45'DP & the Mercedes toad is severely limited on where he can go 'camping'. The guy with the little popup & mid sized crossover can go almost anywhere.

Who is where in the 'food chain'?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
I started camping under the stars and in a tent while in Boy Scouts. As a young man, my buddies and I slept next to the campfire in the badlands of ND. I got married and switched to a tent and eventually to a PUP due to the DW having some back issues. Came home from deployment and decided I wanted bigger to be more like the Jones' and got a 36' 5vr. Upgraded a few years later to get a nicer, bigger 5vr at 40'. While I "thought" I wanted bigger and better, every time I see a PUP, I miss it dearly as we would be outside, playing games with the kids and cooking on the fire back then. I would place them toward the top of said chain. Even a bigger, newer 5vr compared to an older one that could have been Dad's old camper and they got it after his death to remember the good times. I can't place any camping situation as "better" than the other, we all have our stories and we tell them to our CG neighbors around a fire with a cold one, In the end, that's all that matters.

However, the "RV Food Chain" could be a great idea! A nationwide chain of restaurants that serve only food cooked in a dutch oven or foil pack. Heck I would even sell food that was cooked on a pizza stone in an RV oven. It would be a hit!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
sacmarata wrote:
... I'm sure tent campers are on the bottom and Motor Coaches are on the top. If measured by finances ...

Oh no! You're wrong there! The bottom of the food chain would be someone like me, who rode a motorcycle with nothing but a sleeping bag and a sheet of plastic. But oh my gosh! Does that bring back some crazy adventures I had! Thank goodness I wasn't married at the time!

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
I see sites with my tent that I will never see with my motor home. We sometimes use the RV as a base camp for that reason.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the OP intended it as an elitist thing and said it was just for fun. An actual list may come off that way but I think the OP was innocent here.

I suppose if you look at it strictly in a dollars and sense way there is a progression to grow into if you live by the "bigger is better" mantra.

I'm sure tent campers are on the bottom and Motor Coaches are on the top. If measured by finances, then you could just look at the average price tag of each type rig and make a list. What good it would do, I don't know, but you would have a list.

It is interesting though to go to the RV lifestyle threads and see folks progression over the years. Many went bigger and bigger in size only to go back down in size, and not always for economic reasons.

Heck I went from open sky, to tent, to popup, back to open sky, then tent and now 34' TT. My finances had very little to do with any of that and to be honest I still enjoy open sky camping more than any other type. Thee TT makes more sense for the whole family though.

I'm sure thers a list out there somewhere and I'm sure it makes some feel very accomplished and others feel small, but in the end it shouldn't matter and usually doesn't.

I have to admit though, I am kinda jealous of this guy ๐Ÿ™‚
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kK7lQZSks

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Recognizing an RV food chain would only be for the elitist who want to think they are at or near the top.
I totally agree with this statement.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
I could but I won't. I don't want to outlines any "food chain" in the world of camping, even in fun.

Today, there was a late model 40 foot motor home, class A, in one site.

Right next door in the next site was a small, and I mean a small, one man tent.

Does not matter.

The view is the same for both and both are "campers", so that makes them special.

Well said and amen.

Thanks.

18 posts and no one wants to make a "food chain" and be elitist.

That is GREAT.

Campers really are special people.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:
I could but I won't. I don't want to outlines any "food chain" in the world of camping, even in fun.

Today, there was a late model 40 foot motor home, class A, in one site.

Right next door in the next site was a small, and I mean a small, one man tent.

Does not matter.

The view is the same for both and both are "campers", so that makes them special.

Well said and amen.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Where we are parked today,there is a high dollar Provost in back of us,next door to the Provost is a Pop up camper.They are buddies,they came together to enjoy a few days of camping.On one side of us is an older motorhome,on the other side is another fifthwheel,next on the other side of the Provest is a toyhauler.Is there a "food chain" or "pecking order"? There doesn't seem to be.
We all enjoyed a 4th of July Pot-Luck,I doubt if anyone had any concern about anyone elses choice of rigs.
Oh,I fogot to mention that there is a motorcycle with a pull trailer across the way and a couple of tent campers also.
The only "food chain" that I noticed was there was a couple of folks that wanted to get at the head of the line to partake in that Pot-Luck.(didn't matter, there was more than enough for everybody)
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
My personal Food Chain list would have open sky campers on the top!
The folks who use survival skills to "camp" out under the sky have my utmost respect and could probably eat all of us softies for breakfast! LOL!

My wife and I still open sky camp some but were just posers nowadays...soft as ever. Our 34' TT has put us closer to the bottom of the list and made us softies ๐Ÿ™‚

Bird_chaser
Explorer
Explorer
Let me add to this fun exercise. I have found that no matter what you choose to camp in there will always be someone with something bigger, faster, or better looking. We bought a fifth wheel because we like to take our 140lb dog with us. Plus we have done the tent thing and neither on of us think that we could survive one night on the ground in a sleeping bag.
2014 GD Reflection 303RLS
2001 Silverado 3500, 6.0L/4L80e

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
"RV Food Chain" is offensive.!
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
It's interesting how different folks view camping, and how the progression often works. Myself, I still prefer tent camping backpacking style, but age, and the wifes hip make that a poor option for us most of the time. For national parks etc. I had a tent trailer, then went up to a class A which I found I didn't really like. In the sorts of areas I could take it, it seemed more easier to just motel camp. Next came a 19ft travel trailer, which could get in to most places, but the wife thought it cramped so we stepped up to a 25 foot TT. For the most part, we only use it for Forest service sorts of camping, and find we end up finding motel camping more to our liking for hitting the city sorts of trips.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.