cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricaner wrote:
Diesel is a byproduct of refined gas. There is no way it should cost more than gas in the first place.
This has been hashed over a million times here and it still ain't true. It all comes from a barrel of oil. You could just as easily say that gas is a byproduct of diesel.

As a matter of fact one of the reasons the the internal combustion engine became so popular is gasoline was a byproduct of kerosene, which was used for lamps, and was therefore very cheap.

Sam

LOL, yep I always got a kick out of that by-product comment as well. Never no such thing that I know of, it comes from oil and it sells.
Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel is a byproduct of refined gas. There is no way it should cost more than gas in the first place.
This has been hashed over a million times here and it still ain't true. It all comes from a barrel of oil. You could just as easily say that gas is a byproduct of diesel.

As a matter of fact one of the reasons the the internal combustion engine became so popular is gasoline was a byproduct of kerosene, which was used for lamps, and was therefore very cheap.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

lwmuddy
Explorer
Explorer
macira wrote:
Diesel is an interesting subject. Let us look at how the railroads mostly died.
A given amount of diesel consumed on rail is much more efficient than consumed by truck. I think the Unions and to some extent the Gov did in the railroads. I do think they are slowly coming back as freight haulers.

Read the history of railroads in California. They were killed purposely to make room for cars, buses and Firestone was involved to sell tires.

No conspiracies ay? Why are people afraid to admit to conspiracies?
Change the word Conspiracy to "Means to an End". Feel better now?

winkyb
Explorer
Explorer
Railroad stock all ways gos up when diesel fuel does.I made 31 years with one of the bigger ones.But they can`t get food and other things to your local store.
The raolroad was doing every thing they could to save fuel 15 to 20 years ago.

macira
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel is an interesting subject. Let us look at how the railroads mostly died.
A given amount of diesel consumed on rail is much more effficient than consumed by truck. I think the Unions and to some extent the Gov did in the railroads. I do think they are slowwly comming back as friegt haulers.
Mac USAF retired
2001 Seaview 32 ft model 8311
Ford f53
2007 HHR
Brake buddy
Falcon2 Towbar

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
This situation reminds me of the water shortage in CA in 1977. It was SEVERE!! People were asked to conserve at the faucet or face some severe fines too. So the wonderful people of CA did just that. That saved LOTS of water. So much that the water companies in the areas around the central CA were complaining of not making money. What did they do? What do you think? They RAISED the rates to make up the shortfall!! And when things got netter, the rates did NOT go down. Once they get your money and the rate to get it, it isn't going away. They are talking about that again. Not making money, raise the rates! The little guy STILL gets it in the end. :B
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

bandmjdavis
Explorer
Explorer
At the least, our government should consider some how getting the price of diesel lower than what it is now. 99 percent of everything we use and need is brought to us via a diesel engine. I believe the high price of diesel is more responsible for the rise in cost of everything else.

'05 Keystone Spningdale with Bunkhouse
'07 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD SRW 4X4

3 Happy Campers ๐Ÿ˜‰

RetiredArmy
Explorer
Explorer
I can remember the Arab oil embargo of the 70's. President Nixon asked all Americans to conserve. America did. What happened? Everything went up in price because Americans were not spending and conserving energy, etc. It was a lose-lose situation. Adding taxes to the already burdened taxpayer is foolish. Adding more taxes to big oil would push up the prices at the pump and rich will still get richer. Larry G.
Brenda and Larry - Retired
2001 RoadTrek 200 Versatile

winkyb
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
The only way out of this oil deal is to increase taxes on it enough to where the American people will conserve far, far less.

Taxing the people who consume oil, is the only certain way to control people and their behaviors.

How about the ones just trying to get to work and just making it now you think it is going to help them.How about the truckers that bring your food close to home so you can sit on your duff and feed you face while you are saving oil.A lot of the truckers are just parking there rigs now.That oil tax will raise the price of every thing that is moved by truck ship or plane.Yep that is going to get us out of it all right.
A bunch of people campaigning they want change.Your wish may come true but you won`t like it if it does.What this country needs is a leader not a politician with a sugar coated speech.

traxtermax
Explorer
Explorer
Increasing taxes would continue to strangle the economy unless there are viable, affordable, immediately and readily available alternatives to oil consumption.

Conservation et. al. only go so far and we're in heavy duty trouble. It'll take another year for any political action and both parties will sit on the energy issue until after elections. Meanwhile, speculators will continue to rape and pillage. Our government is "out of control" because it shows no control-- and I'm afraid that it will be "the same game" after elections, regardless of who wins.

macira
Explorer
Explorer
"skidrow" Controlling people's spending etc IS NOT A VALID FUNCTION of government!!!
Mac USAF retired
Ford f53
2007 HHR
Brake buddy
Falcon2 Towbar

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
The only way out of this oil deal is to increase taxes on it enough to where the American people will conserve far, far less.

Taxing the people who consume oil, is the only certain way to control people and their behaviors.

macira
Explorer
Explorer
Was the previous speed limit deal a big winner? No just a goofy idea then as well as now.
Mac USAF retired
Ford f53
2007 HHR
Brake buddy
Falcon2 Towbar

2SAM
Explorer
Explorer
I can think of at least 2 ways our country could save on fuel one is to get the speed limit back down to 55mph. MAX and to have US Mail delivered every other day instead of everyday, who needs mail every day? or half of the city Mon, Wed, Fri... other half Tues,Thurs. Sat... they could cut back and not need their ridiculous raises all the time, they all earn a bundle any way, of course it's a Gov. job!!!!

ML
Explorer
Explorer
"...senator suggested Congress might want to consider reimposing a national speed limit to save gasoline and possibly ease fuel prices."

Complete article:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/03/warner.speed.limit.ap/index.html
ML