cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV insurance

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
We are buying a new fifth wheel in Florida. We will be living in it full time and will have it delivered to the park we are living in. We will not have a truck right away to tow it with. Probably within the year. I called Geico (my auto insurance company) and Progressive. As well as another company that specializes in RV insurance. I don't recall their name. All 3 told me the same thing. They will not insure it unless I have a tow vehicle. First off, why? Second, do you guys know of a company that might? We will need full time living insurance. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
bassin39 wrote:
We are buying a new fifth wheel in Florida. We will be living in it full time and will have it delivered to the park we are living in. We will not have a truck right away to tow it with. Probably within the year. I called Geico (my auto insurance company) and Progressive. As well as another company that specializes in RV insurance. I don't recall their name. All 3 told me the same thing. They will not insure it unless I have a tow vehicle. First off, why? Second, do you guys know of a company that might? We will need full time living insurance. Thanks.

Try Miller Insurance Agency. They specialize in RV policies.

As a full timer, you should also get an "umbrella" personal liability policy.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
bassin39 wrote:
I don't think I tried National Interstate. But I will check with the dealer we go through. We are also going to the Hershey RV show in September. I'm sure there will be insurance companies there to talk to. Why would I need a tow vehicle to insure it though? Will I have a problem because it's stationary? At least for now.

Forget dealer.....check LINK then click on 'authorized' agent link to find who can handle it in FL.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
Good point. Maybe I'll tell them I'm going to hook it up to the back of my Honda Element. They should believe that. 😉

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Just a guess, but they might see it as a liability in that you can't take it with you if you leave Florida during a hurricane. It was one of the things I was asked about from Geico also. They knew my primary base would be Virginia Beach, and I'm Registered in Florida, and that was one of the questions was if we planned to move it, or leave if a hurricane was coming.
Didn't know or think it might be a deal breaker though.

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I tried National Interstate. But I will check with the dealer we go through. We are also going to the Hershey RV show in September. I'm sure there will be insurance companies there to talk to. Why would I need a tow vehicle to insure it though? Will I have a problem because it's stationary? At least for now.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you tried National Interstate Ins.......LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
National Interstate Insurance is who we use but we have a Class A and also a toad. If you have another vehicle, they will insure both. They specialize in full timers. You buy their insurane through an agent. We used LazyDays RV in Seffner FL. They have an insurance agent in house.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi