cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV lifestyle =

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty good place to ask this question I hope.
I was wondering what type of lifestyle folks on here live as related to their RV?
Retired wanderer?
Retired snow bird?
Work camper?
Equestrian camper?
Full time stay put camper
Etc...

Thanks
55 REPLIES 55

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
rickeoni wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
rickeoni wrote:
I work mon - thurs so i take every other Thursday off and we go enjoy a 4 day weekend. Retirement is so far away I never even think about it.

Don't think about it and it will be here before you know it.

Think about what? :W

Thinking causes brainpain

Rattlepated
Explorer
Explorer
Still work full time, but like to get away for week here and there with the wife and kids to see new places. Would like to start using the camper for SCUBA trips, now that we have more time without the kids. Does anyone in the Midwest use their camper for dive trips? I'm particularly interested in the Great Lakes, but would also like to go to quarries or other interesting dive sites that allow campers.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
My tax business is seasonal and gives me great flexibility to travel after I wrap things up by the end of June. I camp about 3 months of the year with plans to increase that gradually. I work hard during tax season but I'm learning how to play hard too.

JohnnyG73
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT is kept on family property that is about a 4 hour drive from where we live. Other family members also keep their RVs parked at the same location so it sort of works out like a miniature campground for all of us.

We use our TT to stay in while we visit with friends and family in the area. 2 or 3 weeks each year we spend in various campgrounds that usually are no farther than 75-100 miles away from where we keep the TT. We enjoy boating, tubing, skiing, fishing, campfires, swimming, drinking, and relaxing.

Every now and then, my fishing buddies and I take the TT on some extended weekends dry camping at remote fishing locations. I know some great places where I can park the trailer about 30 feet from the waters edge, awesome for getting away from everything and everyone...and it's free.

We never intend on being full time RVers. When I think of our RV "life style", I view our TT as our home away from home, our vacation cottage on a lake, our getaway for short summer trips, and our place to hang out with family and friends. Far more than just camping. Good thread!

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
semi full time..at sticks and bricks about twice a year 3 to 4 weeks each time winter in florida or az/ca desert summer on coast wash to ca..start north takes about 5 to 6 months to work south..live in bakersfield..no live every were house is in bakersfield

tallyp2001
Explorer
Explorer
The long and short of it, we are campers first and love the outdoors. We camp mainly at State Parks. DH is an avid birdwatcher, hiker, naturalist. RV comes in very handy.

The RV really comes in handy with my hobby which is showing dogs. Nothing is more fun, to me anyway, than "awning time" with a bunch of friends and a red solo cup in hand. We manage to all park together and sometimes it is only for a weekend but we have longer shows we go to also. The dogs ALWAYS get the A/C, humans get shade and a fan under the awnings.

"Someday", when we get to retire we are hoping to go on longer trips, 2-5 weeks, following the birds, visiting family in FL & TX, running from the sub zero temps. We own a farm and don't ever plan to part with our slice of heaven in Ohio but my roots are in FL and so is most of my family. The RV is our perfect solution to all of the above.

Scott & Donna
Windover Bullmastiffs &
French Bulldogs
2010 Jayco Designer

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Weekend or vacation camping. We parked out TT in the North Georgia mountains permanently back in April, due to a downturn in DHs health. He's retired but I'm still working. The place as decent WiFi so I just bring my work computer with me and get some work done while we enjoy our little get-away. It works for us. Sometimes we ask ourselves if we pulled the trigger too soon...naaaah. It's so much better for us to just throw our clothes and food into the Prius, drive 2 hours (at 52mpg!)and we're camping in about 10 minutes.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

sewjourner
Explorer
Explorer
We are empty nesters. We have our camper on a seasonal site in Pa. My husband and I both are business owners. Our camper is just far enough to not be able to come home when clients call. It also helps that our cell carrier has no service near our camp. Seasonal works for us now. Eventually, we would like to retire, get a smaller camper and travel.

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
Bought the motor home to travel to our sons baseball games in the summer before his senior year of high school. He played on a travel team in Texas, La. and even in Georgia. He continued playing for 4 years of college so we went to all of those games too! Team made the playoffs and advanced to the 2nd round which was in Kentucky. After they were eliminated we decided we were so far east already we would just keep going. Toured Niagara Falls area, upstate New York then down the east coast before going back home. Since then we take from 6 to 11 months each year to see a different part of the country. Along the way we worked some KOA workamping jobs but eventually settled on working for Amazon during their peak season. We have done that for 3 years and are in NJ now getting ready to help open a new facility. We work for 3 months, make enough money to refill the travel coffers, then are off again. We have a sticks and bricks with a garage apartment and a downstairs converted into an apartment so it basically takes care of itself while we are gone. The rents pay the mortgage. Plan to do this until it isn't fun or the health fails, whichever comes first.
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

Hazey33
Explorer
Explorer
www.peripatetical.com
That's us.
We are in our 30s and work remotely.

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I'm retired and single. I spent most of my working life traveling solo for the company, living in hotel rooms, sitting on the bed watching TV and eating by myself in their restaurant. No "tourist" stuff.
Now, I may return to a city or town I've been in, but I get to do what I want to do, when I want to do it.

Thats awesome!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm retired and single. I spent most of my working life traveling solo for the company, living in hotel rooms, sitting on the bed watching TV and eating by myself in their restaurant. No "tourist" stuff.
Now, I may return to a city or town I've been in, but I get to do what I want to do, when I want to do it.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Retired wanderer/workcamper,and snowbird.

I spend six months (winter) serving as a Chaplain at an RV Resort in the RGV of Texas. The other six months or a portion of at my WV summer home.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Year round weekender here in southern California. I have every other Friday off and will often attach a couple of vacation days to my 3-day weekend. However...
I'll be retiring (OMG!! WOOT!! lol) on December 31, 2014, when I'll be RVing whenever, wherever, for as long as I desire.

I don't want to rush the moment, but after 51 years of working (I started working during my high school years, then worked my way through college, and have been working ever since), I can hardly wait!!
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter