cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Pole Barn

pennrver
Explorer
Explorer
We don't own an RV yet, but plan on purchasing one within the next year. Planning on putting up a pole barn to house it. We will build that before getting the RV. Wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on it, mistakes you made, etc.

Dimension wise I want to be able to plan accordingly. We have pretty much decided on a class C, but may move on to a fifth wheel down the road. So I want to "future proof" the barn.

A fifth wheel is going to be taller than a class C, so if I plan my barn around that fact it should be able to hold any class C. What is the tallest 5th wheel right now? 13' something? so a 14' door should suffice?

Any thoughts on barn dimensions? I am looking for more of a multi use barn but primarily for the motorhome. But may be storing tractor, car, boat, etc. So looking for two bays.

Should I make it long enough to hold 5th wheel + truck attached? That might stretch it too long. How about room around the camper?

Looking to hear thoughts from anyone who has been down this road! Thanks
66 REPLIES 66

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
allen8106 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
I built a new 40X42 semi-round top shed with the intent of storing our 5ver in one side of it. my only regret is that I didn't install a wider door. We put in a 10 foot wide door and wish I has a 12.

The 5ver fits ok through the 10 foot door but with the awning on the curb side and the rain gutter spouts on both sides I only have about 4" to spare on each side which can be tricky to navigate when backing in.

So your 5th wheel is more then 8 foot 6 inches wide ????? I didn't think that was legal.

Are you sure that you didn't mean to say that you have a 8 foot wide door and wish that you had a 10 ?

No....I said it exactly as I intended. The camper body is 8 foot wide but the factory awning on the curb side and the factory rain gutter spouts on the street side both together add about 8ish inches in overall width. My "10 foot" wide door measures 9 foot 8 inches inside to inside on the door frame which as I mentioned can be a little tricky backing in to. So with 6 inches to spare on each side I wish I had built the building with a 12 foot door instead of a 10.

My mistake . I apologize

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Chainwright, Congratulations on the move to the country! Personally.....we canโ€™t get far enough away! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Sounds like a nice set-up you have planned...
Best of Luck with your new venture!

Thank you sir.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Chainwright, Congratulations on the move to the country! Personally.....we canโ€™t get far enough away! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Sounds like a nice set-up you have planned...
Best of Luck with your new venture!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
We're downsizing moving from the city to the country. We're building a pole barn. Slab is 55x70 (5ft for the porch). On the right hand side half is our 30x70 home and on the left hand side the 20x70 ft MoHo Garage, with a 14 ft door to the north and a 14 ft door to the south. MY slab thickness is 8 inches, but I'm overkill, you could limit your slab thickness to 6in for a Moho, 4in if you have a 5th wheel.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We made ours 20x45x15 tall.Concrete floor. Had the metal siding brought down 3 ft on 3 sides. Looking back I should have made maybe 24 wide. Our five fits fine with slides out, just looking back.

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My first trailer shed was all enclosed. Trapped heat inside the shed ruined all the vinyl/plastic/A/C shroud/vent covers/etc. Mud daubers were terrible. We moved from that place to where were at now.
This time I put up a 16' X 40' X 14' inside height pole barn that was open on both sides (40" from the ground) for south to north airflow. Daubers are thick as my big pond (mud source) is about 150' away. Air flow eliminates most of them and heat doesn't pack up inside.
My floor is just 3/4" crusher run limestone.
My double doors are side by side and 12' opening. The shed if wide enough to open the slides if we need the trailer for more beds. Or I can drag the trailer to the woods where I have 110v 30amp service pole and water. The grand kids and great grand kids like this better than staying in the trailer shed.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
I built a new 40X42 semi-round top shed with the intent of storing our 5ver in one side of it. my only regret is that I didn't install a wider door. We put in a 10 foot wide door and wish I has a 12.

The 5ver fits ok through the 10 foot door but with the awning on the curb side and the rain gutter spouts on both sides I only have about 4" to spare on each side which can be tricky to navigate when backing in.

So your 5th wheel is more then 8 foot 6 inches wide ????? I didn't think that was legal.

Are you sure that you didn't mean to say that you have a 8 foot wide door and wish that you had a 10 ?

No....I said it exactly as I intended. The camper body is 8 foot wide but the factory awning on the curb side and the factory rain gutter spouts on the street side both together add about 8ish inches in overall width. My "10 foot" wide door measures 9 foot 8 inches inside to inside on the door frame which as I mentioned can be a little tricky backing in to. So with 6 inches to spare on each side I wish I had built the building with a 12 foot door instead of a 10.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
I built ours 50' 76' x 16' to the square. I have 1 - 14' x 14' Overhead and 2 - 10' x 10' Overheads. I wish I would of made the RV door 16' wide. I put a metal ceiling in it, added 12 Ceiling 6 bulb, florescent lights, installed Garage door Operators on the Overhead Doors, Concrete floor and insulated it.

Next year, I think I will build a 30' x 50' Apartment in it, just in case I want to sell our house and travel more than we do...

RVman / John
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 10' wide doors on my building, it is very tight backing the trailer in. As usual, my biggest design mistake was "not quite big enough"!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
My door is 14x14! The extra width is real handy for positioning the trailer where the barn can be better utilized for other purposes as well. Wide is nice!

Our unit is 102โ€ plus the awnings, etc. so, weโ€™re 110โ€ total width! A 10 foot door would be a bit tight! And then there are the truck mirrors! ๐Ÿ˜‰

We went with 10โ€™ wide doors on our second pole barn....sure wish they were at least 12โ€™.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
10โ€™ door would be crazy tight IMO. I park my truck in a building with a 10ft door and itโ€™s not too wide. With the mirrors unfolded I feel like Iโ€™m right on both sides.

I back my Reflection into a 14โ€™ door and donโ€™t feel like itโ€™s excessive. I still have to watch.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Like he said; the awning, lights, door handles and whatever are in addition to the 8'-6". Weatherstripping on the door reduces the opening another 2" to 3". Now add any tilt to the approach, and there is nothing left.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
allen8106 wrote: