cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVIA Certificate?

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are scheduled to go to a campground that is going to require an RVIA number. It is a county campground in Florida and it was very difficult to get a spot.

I have never run into this before. Our Camper is an Arctic Fox and when I called Northwood they said they are not RVIA members and use Pacific West Associates to โ€œcertifyโ€ meeting standards.

Has anybody run into this or have any experience with this? Iโ€™m not sure of I should just show up or try and ask them in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wadcutter wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

Obsessed with the truth, the fact theyโ€™re legally required on an RV and the fact that thereโ€™s actually required for safety, yes, absolutely.

No. Always funny when someone says "it's the law" and they don't have a clue.
RVIA is a trade group, nothing more. No manufacturer is required to join nor abide by whatever RVIA wants. Private trade groups do not write laws.
Here's what RVIA is from their website. www.rvia.org
"The RV Industry Association is the national trade group representing the manufacturers and component suppliers producing approximately 98 percent of all RVs manufactured in North America. Our organization unites the diverse RV industry and forges alliances to form a strong, single voice. Working with our members, we advance the industry and drive growth and innovation across the outdoor business landscape.
Membership is available to companies and businesses actively engaged in manufacturing RVs and Park Model RVs as well as those providing a product or service, directly or indirectly, to an RV manufacturer, Park Model RV manufacturer, component supplier, aftermarket supplier, or other wholesale participant in the industry. There are membership categories for RV Manufacturer, Park Model RV Manufacturer, Supplier, Manufacturerโ€™s Representative, Finance Firm, and Associate."

If you had actually read the posts youโ€™d have known that it was said more than once that the RVIA seal is NOT legally required, there are other groups that can offer the same certification, what IS legally required is CERTIFICATION.

Sorry(ish) for the caps, but as was just pointe$ out, some people seem to argue merely for the sake of arguing, even in the face of the facts.

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
JaxDad wrote:

Obsessed with the truth, the fact theyโ€™re legally required on an RV and the fact that thereโ€™s actually required for safety, yes, absolutely.

No. Always funny when someone says "it's the law" and they don't have a clue.
RVIA is a trade group, nothing more. No manufacturer is required to join nor abide by whatever RVIA wants. Private trade groups do not write laws.
Here's what RVIA is from their website. www.rvia.org
"The RV Industry Association is the national trade group representing the manufacturers and component suppliers producing approximately 98 percent of all RVs manufactured in North America. Our organization unites the diverse RV industry and forges alliances to form a strong, single voice. Working with our members, we advance the industry and drive growth and innovation across the outdoor business landscape.
Membership is available to companies and businesses actively engaged in manufacturing RVs and Park Model RVs as well as those providing a product or service, directly or indirectly, to an RV manufacturer, Park Model RV manufacturer, component supplier, aftermarket supplier, or other wholesale participant in the industry. There are membership categories for RV Manufacturer, Park Model RV Manufacturer, Supplier, Manufacturerโ€™s Representative, Finance Firm, and Associate."
Camped in every state

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:

If they are "legally required on an RV," then why do many manufacturers not use them at all?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dedmiston
Iโ€™m adding this topic to my list that I call โ€œDudes can fight about anythingโ€.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Benny37 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Benny37 wrote:
I have little faith in some decal with a number provided to an RV manufacturer by an Industry group they are intimately associated with that attempts to tell me how great my RV was built. I say that having had loose electrical connections which **** near caused a new TT to be reduced to ashes along with at least half a dozen plumbing leaks in same, along with dozens of other build issues. That along with knowing the amount of absolute junk that is pushed out of Northern Indiana. You folks realize just how deep in bed the RVIA is with the RV builders? Who do you think pays the RVIA folks salaries?

You seem to be confusing construction and design principals with build quality.

Life safety standards (your fire comment aside) are what the seal is demonstrating.

Not any confusion at all. "Manufacturer certifies compliance with standard for recreational vehicles NFPA 1192"ringed with "Electrical-Plumbing-HVAC-Fire Safety"

They keywords are "manufacturer certifies".

That's comparable to...... "Corner drug dealer certifies your bag of first class heroin is not cut with Fentanyl"

Given the number of postsone can find online ( just search around any brand specific forum or FB group) about new rigs delivered with electrical issues such as loose connections and pinched wires, plumbing issues such as leaking water or LP gas systems, HVAC issues such as crushed, blocked, or debris filled ducts, one could come to the conclusion that compliance with a self imposed requirement is nothing more that a big pile of bullsheet.

Ive read some of your past posts on this subject. You seem to be obsessed with preaching the importance of RVIA stickers based on your own opinions.

If by โ€œmy opinionโ€ you mean the law, sure, I can agree with that too.

But again, youโ€™ve never heard of sloppy builds in cars and trucks? Huge recalls with regards to major safety items?

Have you forgotten about the massive GM recall just a few years ago? Over 30 million vehicles recalled, GM paid compensation for 124 deaths and $2.5 BILLION in fines and settlements.

How about Toyotas unintentional acceleration problem? About 2.5 million (in just the US, 9 million worldwide) vehicles recalled.

Fordโ€™s recall of 23 million vehicles because of faulty ignition switches that could cause an electrical fire while youโ€™re driving down the road.

Water leaks in an RV? How about the Tamara air bag and seatbelt recalls? Over 65 to 70 million vehicles spanning nine different vehicle makers covered by this one. Safety advocates are still chasing it, trying to get a further 42 million more cars included in it.

What do they have to do with RVโ€™s? Open the door of your own ride, youโ€™ll see the company that built it certified it too.

Ever fly somewhere? Yup, those planes are certified by the same folks that built it too โ€ฆ..

Benny37
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Benny37 wrote:
I have little faith in some decal with a number provided to an RV manufacturer by an Industry group they are intimately associated with that attempts to tell me how great my RV was built. I say that having had loose electrical connections which **** near caused a new TT to be reduced to ashes along with at least half a dozen plumbing leaks in same, along with dozens of other build issues. That along with knowing the amount of absolute junk that is pushed out of Northern Indiana. You folks realize just how deep in bed the RVIA is with the RV builders? Who do you think pays the RVIA folks salaries?

Life safety standards (your fire comment aside) are what the seal is demonstrating.

Not any confusion at all. "Manufacturer certifies compliance with standard for recreational vehicles NFPA 1192"ringed with "Electrical-Plumbing-HVAC-Fire Safety"

They keywords are "manufacturer certifies".

That's comparable to...... "Corner drug dealer certifies your bag of first class heroin is not cut with Fentanyl"

Given the number of postsone can find online ( just search around any brand specific forum or FB group) about new rigs delivered with electrical issues such as loose connections and pinched wires, plumbing issues such as leaking water or LP gas systems, HVAC issues such as crushed, blocked, or debris filled ducts, one could come to the conclusion that compliance with a self imposed requirement is nothing more that a big pile of bullsheet.

Ive read some of your past posts on this subject. You seem to be obsessed with preaching the importance of RVIA stickers based on your own opinions.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
brholt, ignore all the stupid comments about how silly rvia stickers are and how folks think their constitutional rights donโ€™t require them to provide proof if itโ€™s a requirement of the campground.
The voluminous blathering here really gets in the way of substance.
Handle it like this.
First call and ask them if the whatever number or a pic of your camper is good enough. But anonymously. That way if theyโ€™re douches aboot it, move to plan B and send them a pic of some RVIA number. Any one.
Chances are plan A will be fine.
If A or B donโ€™t work, you could take a pic of a rvia number, print the pic cut it out the right size and stick it on with some clear bra.
If that donโ€™t work, call them communists and camp somewhere else! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the park. No one on the forum knows why they chose that rule and how they enforce it. Itโ€™s a county park, meaning the government is involved. For all we know there was a serious accident involving a home built rig. Maybe a fatal fire or electrical issue. The county attorney defending the county does some research and decides the RVIA sticker would provide them a layer of protection in the future so it is mandated. The employees arenโ€™t empowered to make any exceptions so no sticker, no site end of story.
As for all the posts saying they have never been questioned, they probably never have had a lot of things happen to them but have happened to others. Thatโ€™s why people have insurance, door locks, bear spray etc. Just because it didnโ€™t happen to Fred doesnโ€™t make Barney immune.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"Another case of why are you asking us schleps on the internet and not just doing the logical thingโ€ฆ."

^^^ That....but since I'm adding my schleppy $0.02: The rule is that an RVIA # is required, not if RVIA is valid, worthwhile, the same as USF or NFPA, or makes sense. If the park requires an RVIA #, either don't go (because you don't comply) or call and explain the situation and see if they'll give you an OK / waiver over the phone. The value or legitimacy of an RVIA # is not the issue; the issue is that the Park has a rule...either comply with it or seek their waiver.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The RVIA certificate has nothing to do with the overall build of your RV, only that it meets certain codes such as the NEC, NFPA 58, etc...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Benny37 wrote:

Benny37
Explorer
Explorer

dedmiston
JaxDad wrote:
I bet if you showed up in a 2022 โ€œDedmiston Camperamaโ€ theyโ€™d ask to see the โ€˜birth certificateโ€™.

The Dedmiston Camperama is gonna be a collector's item. Just you wait.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
I don't think I've ever received a birth certificate for any RV from the RVIA, but there's a sticker and serial number next to the front door.

I've never been asked to see "my papers" before though.

Your pick-me-up truck is also legally required to have that little plate in the drivers door jamb that says it was built to FMVSS spec. and Iโ€™d bet youโ€™ve never been asked to show it either. However thatโ€™s likely because they know that a company the size of Fiat Chrysler will build to spec. The same is likely true of any โ€˜majorโ€™ brand RV, itโ€™s a legal requirement that no company will turn a blind eye to.

The target of these kinds of laws is to give the required tools to tell some hippie in a converted cube van or school bus that he canโ€™t stay there.

I bet if you showed up in a 2022 โ€œDedmiston Camperamaโ€ theyโ€™d ask to see the โ€˜birth certificateโ€™.