Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing with Pets

CaitySue
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I am new to this site, and new to RVing...so new that we haven't purchased our RV yet ;). We are currently looking at various models to see what we like and don't like. We are even heading out now to check out an RV show. We know we want a gas-powered Class A, with Tiffin being high on our list (we are hoping to purchase a "gently-used" RV.) We are also going to check into Thousand Trails, KOA, and any others that might be out there (suggestions ALWAYS welcome!).

I don't know if this is the right forum in which to pose my question, but here it is:

How many of you RV with your pets? We have one large dog, 2 small dogs and 2 cats. We will be living in the RV for about 4-6 months to start. The 2 small dogs both get carsick when traveling in a car, but I'm hoping the "feel" will be different in a motorhome. Anyone experience dogs getting carsick in a car, but not in an RV? The large dog (German Shepherd) is a seasoned car traveler. The cats have not been in a car before, except when they were taken to be neutered, so I have no clue how they will behave. They will be outfitted with collars and leashes so they can be let out to stretch their legs.

Please don't flame me if I've posted something in the wrong place - I'm new to this group and don't know all the ins and outs yet.

CaitySue
41 REPLIES 41

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
CaitySue wrote:

What is CG? Sorry to be so ignorant ๐Ÿ˜ž Oh wait - is it campgrounds?

campground
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
We go with 2 dogs and three cats. Figure the pet police will not kick our door down and count the cats. :W

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would make sure that all of the pets spend some time in the rv prior to taking off in it. We spent weekends not moving and let them get comfortable with the surroundings. Then we took a few short trips with them. We are full-time and the previous pets have passed and the one we have now has known no home other than the motorhome. None of our pets (dogs) ever got sick.

flashdrbob
Explorer
Explorer
Strong rec for crates. Motion sickness usually less likely in a large motorhome because the dogs don't need to be looking out the windows. You want good harnesses for the cats, the figure 8 versions that tighten when the cat pulls so they won't slip off like a collar will. Microchip. The best car sick med is Cerenia tabs at your veterinarian. Up to date on Rabies vaccine and Lepto, and consider good flea/tick control for the dogs, i.e. Bravecto and heart worm prevention. Revolution on the cats. Carry plenty of food if on special diets as they may not be available in other parts of the country. Your shepherd will be more protective in a campground environment, so watch for that. The little ones will bark more. And watch your water supply, for diarrhea likely when you change water on them.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
You will have your hands full with all of your pets! One thing I had to do was put carpet runner down on the linoleum floor so that my little guy wouldn't skid all over. It was helpful when he would jump off of the bed as well. We lost him on the 1st and we're heartsick over it. He made one more camping trip with me just 2 weeks before he went and we had a great time. I'll always be happy about that. They're awful hard to lose, our laps and house are so empty.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with just one dog. We favor state parks, National Forest Service (NFS) Campgrounds and Corp of Engineer (COE) parks. I search extensively for our campgrounds and I have found a few of those mentioned above with full hook-ups but most have water and electricity only. Most have dump stations available if no individual sewer hook-up.

I use recreation.gov for the NFS and COE and the individual state park websites for state parks.

Most COE parks just say "domestic pets" allowed. Also, if you are 62 or older you can obtain a senior pass and the cost is half price. I recently booked a full hookup site on a lake in Illinois for just $10.00 per night!

Happy and safe travels!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

CaitySue
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
That's quite a menagerie you have there, we only have one, a long haired Dachshund, he's never been sick in car or RV, he loves to ride.
You have named two of the most expensive places to stay, but that's OK, we all camp/RV differently, as far as your extended family, Old Biscuit has it, State and Federal Parks may be your best bet, but few have hookups and as said, you are restricted to 14 day stays in most cases.

I listed those 2 because they are the only ones I've heard of. I'm open to hearing about more campgrounds, that's for sure. As I stated, we are SO new to RVing. Went to an RV show today to see what we like/don't like. Lots of research to do!

CaitySue
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
5 pets..3 dogs....1 German Shepherd ----that is going to be very limiting due to the very common/typical 2 PET limit plus the 'Shepherd' being on the 'agressive breed' list that Ins. Underwriters like to include in CG owners policies.

SO that leaves State/National parks....no pet restrictions BUT limited to 2 weeks max stays AND High Capacity Use...especially if parks are near anything.
Reservations can be 6 mos/1 yr out.

Fairgrounds have RV sites......unless an event is going on
Some city parks. And if member of Elks, Moose, American Legion, VFW.......some facilities have RV spots for overnighting

Best to check ahead of time with prospective CG to what their pet policies are.

***Link Removed***

***Link Removed***

As to the 'car sickness' issues.......MHs rock/roll just like cars.
Might be even more enhanced feeling.

Crates!

Good luck.

What is CG? Sorry to be so ignorant ๐Ÿ˜ž Oh wait - is it campgrounds?

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's quite a menagerie you have there, we only have one, a long haired Dachshund, he's never been sick in car or RV, he loves to ride.
You have named two of the most expensive places to stay, but that's OK, we all camp/RV differently, as far as your extended family, Old Biscuit has it, State and Federal Parks may be your best bet, but few have hookups and as said, you are restricted to 14 day stays in most cases.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have in the past traveled with all kinds of animals, many times, many at a time.

In the past we traveled with 2 pet chickens, rabbit, 3 different birds, 2 dogs, 2 cats, Iguana, Turtle, Fish, mice, hamster, and a prairie dog. 2 kids, and 2 adults. Never had a problem anywhere.

Thank goodness, we are now down to ONLY 1 dog and 1 cat and no kids any more. Traveling is so much easier now.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
5 pets..3 dogs....1 German Shepherd ----that is going to be very limiting due to the very common/typical 2 PET limit plus the 'Shepherd' being on the 'agressive breed' list that Ins. Underwriters like to include in CG owners policies.

SO that leaves State/National parks....no pet restrictions BUT limited to 2 weeks max stays AND High Capacity Use...especially if parks are near anything.
Reservations can be 6 mos/1 yr out.

Fairgrounds have RV sites......unless an event is going on
Some city parks. And if member of Elks, Moose, American Legion, VFW.......some facilities have RV spots for overnighting

Best to check ahead of time with prospective CG to what their pet policies are.

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/guides/camp/camp.shtml

https://www.bringfido.com/lodging/campgrounds/

As to the 'car sickness' issues.......MHs rock/roll just like cars.
Might be even more enhanced feeling.

Crates!

Good luck.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
This forum is ok for this post. You could also check the threads in the RV Pet Stop forum. Don't double post tho; just PM me and I'll move it.

Just about every RVer has pets. The only issues you may run into are.
1. Some campgrounds limit the number of dogs to 2
2. Some campgrounds have a breed restriction that usually involve pit bulls and dobermans, but may include large wolfy-looking dogs like the shepherd.

It's not that the campground owners don't like animals, it's their insurance companies. It's best to check ahead. RV Park Reviews usually points out which RV parks have restrictions.

Consider chipping all your animals.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox