Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saab 'Caravan' -- It's So Ugly.....

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
.....it's almost cute!
SAAB "CARAVAN"
Swedish motorhome in production only a few years in the 1960s.
Basically a camper shell on top of a Saab auto chassis.
Not much info about it on www.
Original models had 2-cycle 28hp motor, later 1500cc 4-cycle 40hp.
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
d3500ram wrote:
Self propelled canned ham! I like it!

Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcmac214 wrote:
.....it's almost cute!
SAAB "CARAVAN"
Swedish motorhome in production only a few years in the 1960s.
Basically a camper shell on top of a Saab auto chassis.
Not much info about it on www.
Original models had 2-cycle 28hp motor, later 1500cc 4-cycle 40hp.

There's gotta be a place to stuff a 350 Chev in that thing!!!:B
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, I think Citroen in general just have the market cornered on ugly. I mean if you look up "Ugly" in the dictionary, there's a picture of a Citroen. Which model depends on the printing house: Merriam-Webster uses the 2CV, Cambridge uses the DS, and Oxford uses the GS.
In the eye of the beholder thing..
I've had my hands on some, the DS and SM sedans, the deux chevaux. The sedans were a luxury car in their day, air assisted suspension and full leather interiors. The little deux chevaux were nearly unstoppable and no worries about crank windows, you just unsnapped the plastic fold-down window covers.

I'd love to have that RV conversion built on the truck frame.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, I think Citroen in general just have the market cornered on ugly. I mean if you look up "Ugly" in the dictionary, there's a picture of a Citroen. Which model depends on the printing house: Merriam-Webster uses the 2CV, Cambridge uses the DS, and Oxford uses the GS.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not as ugly as the earliest Winnebago motorhomes. It has more of a 1940s look than a 1960s look.

Power was less an issue in early postwar Europe, particularly Scandinavia than it is now in a world of 60-80 mph superhighways. That was a world of speeds under 50 mph on the better open highways, more typically 30 mph on less developed rural roads.

Not much different from the U.S. in the 1920s and 30s when a Model T was adequate and a Model A was a speed demon, and "large" trucks trundled down the road with 40-80 HP.

Motor caravans were built in post-War Europe on other small chassis of similar or less power (like the 2CV, VW Type 2, and commercial small vans like the Thames, Morris and Commer in Britain, the Citroen H in France (although that was a relative powerhouse with a 1.9 liter four). The Citroen H was truly ugly no matter what you built on it:
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
woudn't have to worry about speeding tickets unless there is a super long downhill

I don't think that thing could get a speeding ticket if it fell of a cliff.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would love to see it. I don't think I would like it for going down the road. Besides the fact that it is so under powered I bet it also handles awful.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I was kind of seeing a character from the "Angry Birds" video game??

I will need you to provide the appropriate bird character for proper allusion... I 'aint played video games since pong came out... (but then I am still using DVD's and VHS... don;t eve ask me about trying to play videos on my flip phone...LOL ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, you have to admit that Saab has always trod it's own path. Although sometimes I think their "different drummer" was trippin'. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah.

Saab Engineering and Design Team meeting:

"OK, the front end design..."

"Well, 50 Kroner for the headlight and turn signal application..."

"Ya, and 2000 Kroner for the Saab grill and chrome pipe additions..."

:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Some info at:

http://jalopnik.com this-old saab-motorhome-looks-like-a-kitty-loaf-1596776530

navegator

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love it!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
d3500ram wrote:
Self propelled canned ham! I like it!

I was kind of seeing a character from the "Angry Birds" video game??
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll bet that rig wouldn't last two weeks touring the Western U.S. in the summer. That SAAB would either be ticketed off the road from causing too many accidents, or junked by the owner due to getting too tired of you-know-what gestures from today's RV'ers as they pass them up!

Aaahhh .... for the good old days when RV'ers could get by traveling in rigs like that so as to be able to smell the roses along the road.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Imagine driving through the Appalachians freewheelin' that 2 stroke!