cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety issue 9 volt Batteries

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to post this as a safety heads up for those of us tend to throw batteries in drawer or trash with out store 9 volt batteries in our RV's.

We had an insurance claims adjuster come to Rotary Club and he talked to us about the 9 volt battery safety hazard. He put a piece of paper on the table, set some steel wool on it and dropped a battery on the wool. The wool became red hot with the electric current, then the paper flashed up. Put electric tape over the used ones before you throw them into the trash!!! and keep the unused ones in the plastic containers until you need them.

Has anyone else heard of this?
17 REPLIES 17

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
Was carrying a 9V battery in my pocket one time along with a pocket full of change. The feeling that someone was holding a branding iron on my thigh convinced me it was not a good idea!
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mlts22 wrote:
When I was in college in the early '90s, I remember a university in a nearby state having a very unofficial, alcohol-inspired battery swallowing contest. Every participant had to go to the ER and be operated on, since the D cells were not going anywhere.

And this was at a university? And, these are suppose to be the smart kids that get into a university? Boy, I did a lot of things in my youth that I would not do now but, no matter how drunk I got I never did anything like that. Maybe were sending the wrong people to school. :S

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
When I was in college in the early '90s, I remember a university in a nearby state having a very unofficial, alcohol-inspired battery swallowing contest. Every participant had to go to the ER and be operated on, since the D cells were not going anywhere.

It is best to stick with gold fish :B

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Next thing you know we are going to hear about the horrors of licking batteries. :B

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Used to light cigarettes that way from 6 volt lantern batteries in the navy.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
And an FYI - a 9V battery and loaded ammunition in your pocket is also a bad combination.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
A toilet paper cardboard roll can be taped closed on the ends with batteries inside and tossed in a drawer. Even better, take that roll in a zip lock bag with a dessicant pack (of the Do Not Eat variety in many items today) and they will not corrode or stain your drawer.

For long term/emergency prepping, stack a bunch of rolls vertically in a plastic coffee can and label with black marker. In this case, pack on a cool, dry day.

Good tip and warning, thanks.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always tape over all my dead dry cells.. And every once in a while I take about a gallon of 'em to Batteries Plus and send them to the reycler.

Sometimes on the AAA's and always on the AAAA's instead of tape I use glue (GOOP to be specific) to insulate them, sticks better but on the larger ones Tape works.

NOTE: Steel wool in that demo was a bit like cheating,, but the danger is real. The battery itself can get hot enough if it comes in contact with say a table knife.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan to use this as a backup firestarter, just be sure to get the steel wool WITHOUT the soap already on it. Plain steel wool conducts best.
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
When tent camping/backpacking/kayaking I would carry a battery and some steel wool (separately, of course) for just that purpose. It depletes the battery but it's an easy way to start a fire in an emergency. Dryer lint makes great tinder and doesn't add any weight.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Very Good post. While we may have known about it, we tend to forget and get careless. I found out that if I coil up my 30 amp power cord, it will also get very hot. Stretch if out and no problem.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Humm, I knew this too but, had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me I'm going to go look in my battery drawer right now and tape up the ends.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When going to DD's college graduation, I took the camera, and put 4 extra AA batteries in my pocket. The same pocket with all my change and keys. About 30 minutes into the ceremony, I thought my pants caught fire. I mean my leg was BURNT! I got those batteries out of my pocket REAL fast. It didn't blister, but the skin was red for the rest of the day.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB