:B
Enjoy
https://youtu.be/hoBaMQcsHK0

https://youtu.be/AuayDyJ1ODI
32 REPLIES 32

okoboji_fan
Explorer
Explorer
I used to receive calls from all over. Since I depend on my phone for business, I have a policy "If you don't leave a message I won't call you back" it works! Life is too short to sit around and wait for the phone to ring!!!!!

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
When I get a call, I listen for about 30 seconds, then interrupt the caller telling him someone is at the door and asking him if he could hold on for a minute. I then put the phone to the side and go on about my business waiting for the caller to give up and hang up. But, I have wasted their time.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Letting the kids talk to telemarketers used to be good entertainment....now they canโ€™t get of their own phone a long enough to assist! Lol.
Itโ€™s pretty dang annoying and yes I think telling them to F off just results in more calls. But itโ€™s satisfying....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
JFKMK - I had the same problem, wife insisted we needed to keep land line. Since congress passed a law a few years back that your phone number is portable, I had my land line number transferred to my cell phone. Dropped the landline and saved hundreds of dollars a year. Of course now all the scam calls come to my cell, but I just dont answer numbers I don't recognize.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
...Don't worry about it:

"Federal law permits recording telephone calls and in-person conversations with the consent of at least one of the parties. ... This is called a "one-party consent" law. Under a one-party consent law, you can record a phone call or conversation so long as you are a party to the conversation."

California is two party consent. As I earlier mentioned, I don't care.

I modify my 'California Approved' gas cans so they are usable, buy real paints and solvents out of state, and with the new year will buy my ammunition out of state. If that makes me a criminal then bring it on!
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I dont even answer phone calls from UNKNOWn numbers anymore,just let it go to VOICEmail box..
Got only Scammers and wrong numbers 99% of the time lately

And
This is why you should never allow anyone to remotely access your computer especialy if they have Hindi or Paki accent..!

https://youtu.be/Oot9FCuUOSo

India seems to be center ops for these scum and their goverment or police does nothing about it,probably takes a piece of the profits.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
dave54 wrote:
I have my cell set up to record all incoming calls (I know it's illegal. I don't care! My phone my rules.)

When the robocall pauses for my response, I play back the last call they made to me. Then I put the phone down and walk away for half hour or so .
Don't worry about it:

"Federal law permits recording telephone calls and in-person conversations with the consent of at least one of the parties. ... This is called a "one-party consent" law. Under a one-party consent law, you can record a phone call or conversation so long as you are a party to the conversation."
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have my cell set up to record all incoming calls (I know it's illegal. I don't care! My phone my rules.)

When the robocall pauses for my response, I play back the last call they made to me. Then I put the phone down and walk away for half hour or so .
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our VOIP "landline" service is handled by an Obi 202 ATA that's capable of using multiple carriers. We use a $35/year PhonePower plan as the primary carrier, with the free Google Voice service as a backup. Both carriers have an app that we've installed on our Android phones that let us use the VOIP service with our Verizon and AT&T hotspots on the road. We can even use the VOIP apps on a spare phone that's no longer active with any carrier.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We recently got rid of land line and bought a magic Jack Go. Best thing ever, we kept our old number which DH had to have, 40 bucks a year and that includes 911 calling. We then set up the call screening on the magic jack go and now our phone may ring twice a week. It's been great!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my ATT line with OOMA, an internet based phone system. It costs about $100 for the equipment and then there is no charge except for about $5 a month for taxes. I have had it for about five years.

Nine months ago I set it to only allow calls from my contact list. Non contact list calls go directly to voice mail. I transferred my extensive contact list from my PC to my phone and from there to OOMA. I have not received a spam call since. I was getting five or six a day.

Occasionally someone calls that I want to talk to that is not on my contact list and leaves a message. I add them to the list and from then on they get through.

I pay an additional $100 a year for the higher level of service from OOMA because then I get an email with the voicemails as an attachment. This allows me to monitor the messages from anywhere in the world. I recently heard voice messages in Ireland. Occasionally spammers leave a voice mail message and it is almost always about 5 seconds long and I delete them without listening.

It is a joy to have a spam free phone and well worth the cost of OOMA hardware especially since I am saving about $35 a month by not having ATT.

Of course, this will work with any phone service that blocks calls not on a contact list.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sometimes get around landline phone scammers ever trying again by doing this: I tell them that "I am interested but do not provide information or do transactions over the phone ... please mail me hardcoyy information in the mail to consider". This stops them dead in their tracks - if I want to take the time to talk to them - but I would never give them my mailing address, in any case. Our landline phone's built-in call blocking takes care of the rest of the phone scammers, so we now have minimum scammer calls on it.

By the way, I sure wish my good old Verizon flip-phone had a buttom on it for call blocking! Does anyone know how to do this with Verizon flip-phones?

Interestingly, the DW gets zero scam calls on her Android smartphone ... for some reason.

Now .................. if only I could stop the junk mail that has no relation to scam phone calls. Is there a national Do Not Mail List? :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:
....Do not call is absolutely worthless! Before you say it, Iโ€™d love to drop the land line, but my wife insists on having it...

So many things to comment on here...

1) I had a virtual machine stood up and ready to go for when they called. I took them for 2 hours, stringing them along. They are VERY GOOD at their social engineering attack. They will try to get you to change a setting or install some software on the computer. Even doing something like revealing a piece of information can be used against you in a follow-up targeted attack. The name of a family member, the operating system on the computer, etc, can all be used later on. A social engineering attack can be much more convincing when they open with "Hi Mary. Bob told me to give you a call to help you figure out the problems with your Windows 10 computer".

2) Two is one, and one is none. Keep the land line. Cell phones could go out in a disaster, and you will be very happy you have a POTS line (Plain Ol' Telephone Service). Or vice versa.

3) Any information you provide to the scammers is useful. Someone picked up the phone?? It's a live number, make a note and call again. The trick is to make yourself to not be the target. It helps that I work from home as I always answer unknown Caller ID numbers with "Good afternoon, this is Eric" like I am talking on a work phone line. If it is still not someone I recognize, I treat it like they have called a work phone at an office. "Yes, this is Eric, how can I help you?" If they say something about the computer, I will counter with "Thanks for calling me back. Yes, I have been having problems with it. Can you confirm you are with the IT department as they normally call on an inside phone line." About that point they will hang up.

The key here is I made them think this is a business phone line. That is not who they are targeting. Sometimes they will right out ask "Is this a business? to which I will respond with "Yes, it is. How can I direct your call?" Over time I have seen a reduction in scammer calls because it is eventually moving me from a home phone number to a business phone number on the scammer's call lists.

4) Profanity, threats, hang ups, all confirm that they have reached a live phone number. They know someone answers the phone and the next time it may be a different person who is more susceptible to social engineering. It is all a numbers game. If 0.1% of people fall for it and give up a credit card number, then simply make 1000 calls to find a winner. A robo-calling system can knock that, with a connection and hang-up being a quick turn-around. I'll bet one scammer can burn through 1000 hang-ups a day to get to that one winner that gives them a payday. Even if my WAG numbers are completely off, the math still adds up to be profitable which is why they keep doing it.

5) Never, ever, give out any information over the phone on an unsolicited call. If it sounds legit, look up the business on the Internet or phone book. Call back that phone number. Do not trust the Caller ID as that system can be manipulated.

Stay safe, vigilant, and smart!
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
wnjj wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
........ And if we do get a call from some spam number leaving a message (such as "this is the IRS"), I add it to the block list in my answering machine so we never get it again.

Blacklisting numbers is a waste of time since they are spoofed. .............

Not at all. After I block a number, the next time a call is received from that number, the phone gives a half ring, shuts off, and โ€œcaller blockedโ€ appears on the screen.

I think their point was not that blocking does not work. But the same scammers simple use the next number with your local prefix.