cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Schwintek slide system question

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were looking at a travel trailer today that had a Schwintek slide system. I've seen them out there, but don't know how well they hold up or work. I was disappointed that this particular brand was using a Lippert product.
What's your take on them?
25 REPLIES 25

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Grand Design used to use Schwintec slides on all their models. But this year they still use Schwintec on the smaller slides but a Lippert system on the larger ones.

The main reason that manufacturers switch from one product/supplier to another is $$$$ not quality!
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

ghmjr64
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Grand Design used to use Schwintec slides on all their models. But this year they still use Schwintec on the smaller slides but a Lippert system on the larger ones.
I believe lippert makes swintec slides as well as most things on rvs

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't want to get something with a Lippert made component you probably don't want to buy ANY RV. Along with frames and slide out mechanisms they also own companies that make windows, doors, baggage doors, suspension and axles, furniture and I'm sure the list goes on and on...Somebody has to make this stuff.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Failed, failed and failed again. Don't walk away, run!!

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
I had a rather large slide on a new tt with schwintec mechanism that failed within the first two months of use. I operated the slide according to factory recommendations, brought it in for warranty repair, the mechanic replaced two tiny motors that move a 10' section of wall, he told me in so many words that I would be back. After using the trailer for 18 months, six of which were on the road, I noticed the slide starting to act up again. I fixed the problem by trading it for a motor home with no slide. I am happy again.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the recommendations to hold the switch to sync the motors after the slide fully extends or retracts.

As much as you're able, do not stop them mid-way.

And lube them regularly.

On my last camper, I had repeat issues and ultimately had aluminum runners installed on the bottom of my slide where the rollers were. This seemed to save me issues.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
bid_time wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Isn't that the point! If they were as problem free as some claim there would not be very many posts of problems.
10 years ago mobile phones could only make phone calls, and most the time they dropped them. The past is an unreliable indicator of the future of tech.

Have you ever owned a schwintek slide? Some of us do, and have for several years. As compared to your "Google" experience from years ago.
Actually back in the days of analog phones I had less dropped calls, my 4 watt bag phone seldom lost a call. Not so with my quarter watt digital.

Back to the Schwintek, no I do not own one and probably never will. I'm trying to give the OP more then one source of information. I'm happy your's has been trouble free and hope it continues to be so.

Back to analogies, Some people have had great luck with China-bomb tires. I will spend the money for a better quality tire.

As to (Google experience from years ago) there is a posting date beside the information. This can be beneficial as well. If all the post are from the past it indicates a improvement in product reliability.

I simply believe that a informed consumer makes better decesions.

I am still waiting for you to say what slide manufacturer is best. That would make the consumer even better informed. I am assuming that you have tried them all and are not just relying on the internet.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
There are numerous Schwintek troubleshooting YouTube videos available.

We have one and it works fine so far, after a year of ownership.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Collie hauler,
The comment you made about asking a shop what their thoughts are makes sense.
However, a large RV dealer here advertised for RV Technicians, "no experience necessary." I didn't see the sign until I was pulling out of their lot. The newly installed trim they installed fell off a couple miles down the road.
I know a few RV techs that have many years of experience and rely on their knowledge. They see problems on a daily basis some more then others. If they have any years of experience regardless of their ability to repair problems they should be able to tell you what items need repaired the most.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Isn't that the point! If they were as problem free as some claim there would not be very many posts of problems.
10 years ago mobile phones could only make phone calls, and most the time they dropped them. The past is an unreliable indicator of the future of tech.

Have you ever owned a schwintek slide? Some of us do, and have for several years. As compared to your "Google" experience from years ago.
Actually back in the days of analog phones I had less dropped calls, my 4 watt bag phone seldom lost a call. Not so with my quarter watt digital.

Back to the Schwintek, no I do not own one and probably never will. I'm trying to give the OP more then one source of information. I'm happy your's has been trouble free and hope it continues to be so.

Back to analogies, Some people have had great luck with China-bomb tires. I will spend the money for a better quality tire.

As to (Google experience from years ago) there is a posting date beside the information. This can be beneficial as well. If all the post are from the past it indicates a improvement in product reliability.

I simply believe that a informed consumer makes better decesions.

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Collie hauler,
The comment you made about asking a shop what their thoughts are makes sense.
However, a large RV dealer here advertised for RV Technicians, "no experience necessary." I didn't see the sign until I was pulling out of their lot. The newly installed trim they installed fell off a couple miles down the road.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
fpresto wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Google (Swintec slide problems), should give you some more information.

Very misleading. Google any HWH (or any other slide manufacturer) problems and you will get a lot of hits. People only post when they have problems.

You are correct about when something works as expected people don't feel the need to comment.

Another good source of information is RV repair shops. They can tell you what is problem prone.