cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scratches on gel-coat surface

jstaffon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Rockwood 5th wheel. It has a nice gel-coat finish. Everything is in excellent condition. The trailer is stored in a covered bay when not in use. Over the past several years, dry camping in the mountains of Idaho we've gotten a few scratches in the finish due to tree branches. You can't see the scratches when the camper is clean unless the lighting is just right. They're more obvious when the camper gets dusty. If you rub your finger or finger nail across the scratch, you can't feel them. It has to be a very light scuff on the finish of the gel-coat as apposed to an actual scratch. I'm wondering what the best solution is to remove the marks. I don't want to turn someone loose with a buffing wheel unless they know what they're doing. I've seen too many campers ruined with swirl marks all over the finish. I'm hoping there are some tricks or approved methods to getting this taken care of. Thanks in advance!
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali, Duramax
2016 Forest River Rockwood 8299BS

Jeff
Idaho Falls, Idaho
---
8 REPLIES 8

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lots of sealants out there. Tried a few but for the past 10-15 years on boats & RV the main products to use have been 3M cleaner wax (takes care of smudges & minor chalking), followed by Meguires Flagship wax (for a high gloss durable shine).

Front cap gets the treatment twice a year. The rest of the trailer gets waxed once a year. Trailer is now 13 years old & looking great. Seven month a year indoor storage helps too.

Having a good gelcoat base to work with helps too. For example I am currently doing some restoration on a 32' Albin boat that has been sitting untouched since 2007. It was looking very sad. So far just the 3M cleaner wax with amazing results on the hull.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Go ahead and try to polish the scratches out by hand for a bit and then judge how long you'll be playing Karate Kid.
If you decide to use a buffer or polisher, it's not a difficult skill to learn and way less effort and gelcoat, even thin gel on camper bodies.
Only a few basic rules.
Keep everything clean. 1 grit of sand will make more work than you originally had.
Keep the buffer moving. Sitting in one spot and trying to grind out a blemish can/may burn or burn through the gel.
Don't use it on decals.

And polishing compound is very forgiving. It's abrasive qualities "polish" , not sand.
A small amount of common sense can replace a lot of elbow grease.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
jstaffon wrote:
My thoughts and concerns, exactly!...on all the replies. Thank you! I wasn't sure about the gel coat. Didn't know if it was special and needed special care and products. One thing I forgot to mention is; When I bought the camper new, I paid for the magical sealant they put on it...or said they did. Great sales effort but probably a waste of my money. I'll start out by trying a polishing compound and microfiber cloth I've used on my cars in the past. I normally put good products on my cars so they should work fine. Again, thanks for the advice!
Look at the paperwork for that 'Magic Polish" they overcharged you for. If they are still in business you may have some recourse. Usually they won't fix anything, but you might get a partial refund.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

jstaffon
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts and concerns, exactly!...on all the replies. Thank you! I wasn't sure about the gel coat. Didn't know if it was special and needed special care and products. One thing I forgot to mention is; When I bought the camper new, I paid for the magical sealant they put on it...or said they did. Great sales effort but probably a waste of my money. I'll start out by trying a polishing compound and microfiber cloth I've used on my cars in the past. I normally put good products on my cars so they should work fine. Again, thanks for the advice!
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali, Duramax
2016 Forest River Rockwood 8299BS

Jeff
Idaho Falls, Idaho
---

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
There is no magic product to removing surface scratches other than using an abrasive product to cut through the surface of the scratches. Hand rubbing is not easy or as effective as a buffer, but you need someone that is experienced in the use of a buffer and polishing products. Swirl marks are usually created by using dirty or the wrong pads, the wrong products, or an inexperienced person using the buffer. Sealers and waxes must be reapplied after buffing to seal up any light swirl marks and to protect the now bare surfaces.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Try a hand polish like Nu Finish Scratch Doctor, it will do light polishing. If you need a more aggressive polish, try a polishing compound. I too would stay away from power tools for light work.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am approaching 40 years as a boater so I have seen my share of fiberglass & the various products used on it. What you have is more likely nothing more than a minor rub. A decent cleaner wax should take care of it.

I have never had a boat or my 5er professionally cleaned or waxed so I don't really know about the swirls. Maybe they use a very aggressive compound or are too heavy on the buffer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
If the scuff marks are as light as you say just get some "polishing compound" and a micro fiber cloth and rub them out. Then use a good wax or sealant.

I can't recommend a rookie use an electric polisher. There is just too much to do it correctly.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln