Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Searching a little SUV for towing

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ,

I am Stefan from Germany and I need a little help from you. We are buying tomorrow a A Class and searching for a car to towing after the RV.
We want a little SUV like Suzuki Sidekick, RAV 4 or something else. It can be older, price max 8000 $ . Can you help me whitch car is the best and possible to tow?
We are in the north from Seattle for 1-2 weeks.

Thanks Stefan
28 REPLIES 28

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
schubi wrote:
Thanks for your help.

The list in the motorhome magazine I have found.

How is the Quality of a Jeep Liberty 2006-7? I love the Sidekicks and Samurai. But I find nothing in Autotrader, carsforsale etc. Has somebody a another website?
Are there any websites where people sales cars ready for towing. It s easier for me.

Your motorhome is likely already equipped with towing accessory.

Once you bought the SUV, it's easy enough to go nearest U Haul to have a tow package installed. U Haul branches are everywhere. Just call them as to what you'll need.

You can check the US Consumer Report for unbiased evaluation of the SUV you are looking to buy. It normally carry a pro and con reviews.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also look at the Suzuki Grand Vitata. Newer variant that has a real transfer case than be switched to neutral.
The Sidekicks and Samuairs are ole enoihg now that not many are willing to pony up that much cash in hopes of selling. Craigslist would be a better place to look for old cars. FYI we just sold our 2007 Grand Vitara 4X4 with 79K miles in great condition for 3000 dollars.

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help.

The list in the motorhome magazine I have found.

How is the Quality of a Jeep Liberty 2006-7? I love the Sidekicks and Samurai. But I find nothing in Autotrader, carsforsale etc. Has somebody a another website?
Are there any websites where people sales cars ready for towing. It s easier for me.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Motorhome magazine annually releases a guide to flat towable vehicles. It's a good place to start on determining what can work in your size and price range. It will also cover parts and supplies commonly needed or used.
I listed 2014 but they have them for each year.
http://webcontent.goodsam.com/2014DinghyGuide.pdf

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suzuki Sidekick, Suziki Samauri, older Honda CRV are all fairly reasonable and good for towing behind motor homes.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
schubi wrote:
And what is with a tow dolly? Is that an option? Do i need a license plate for this?

some states yes, some no. all states honor the rules in whichever state the dolly is registered. if you go with a dolly you must add the weight of the dolly to the weight of the vehicle when computing the maximum safe weight you can tow. fyi...some vehicles that can be flat towed might not be dolly towed.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
schubi wrote:
Thanks for your answers. We want to stay for a longer time in North America so we buy tomorrow an Allegro. What is with Jeep Liberty , Kia Soul( I know not a suv but 4 Wheel drive)

Suzuki Sidekick is hard to find...

we flat tow a 2010 jeep liberty, roughly 4400-lbs (4378). no key in ignition required. just make sure that the transfer case has a manually selectable neutral position. if not the vehicle cannot be flat towed.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
schubi wrote:
Thanks for your answers. We want to stay for a longer time in North America so we buy tomorrow an Allegro. What is with Jeep Liberty , Kia Soul( I know not a suv but 4 Wheel drive)

Go find a nicer old Jeep. Just have a fully covered one with heater with the coming winter. It might not be as reliable but repair shops and parts for Jeep is everywhere in the continental US.

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
And what is with a tow dolly? Is that an option? Do i need a license plate for this?

schubi
Explorer
Explorer

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
schubi wrote:
Hi ,

I am Stefan from Germany and I need a little help from you. We are buying tomorrow a A Class and searching for a car to towing after the RV.
We want a little SUV like Suzuki Sidekick, RAV 4 or something else. It can be older, price max 8000 $ . Can you help me whitch car is the best and possible to tow?
We are in the north from Seattle for 1-2 weeks.

Thanks Stefan

Go for a Sidekick that you can just throw away once your done with it, lol.

But it you got the off-road upgrades, you won't have problem getting an interested buyer when you're going back to Germany.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
why are you buying? A 2 week stay, you can rent for less unless going to take it back to germany! This past summer met with some german folks who rented a Cruise America Class C, said it was expensive but a lot less than buying. Buy a toad and hope it is set up to be towed is another issue. Just getting one set up can run run close to $2500 not counting the vehicle and again will depend on whether or not you can get a shop to do it in a timely manner for you?
there are some websites that handle used towing stuff here is 1:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/37-rv-accessories-for-sale/

maybe they can help you look for something to be towed that is already set up. I know a guy who just bought an 04 honda crv all setup and it cost him $8000 or so. SO you will need to do your homework on this. Look at some of the rv sales websites they may have leads but again it will depend on where they are IE texas, florida etc.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Stefan,

before you buy anything to tow be sure you know and understand the various actual loaded weights and weight ratings of your motorhome and suv.

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the actual weight (based on the actual loaded weight on each axke) of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

- the weight rating of your tow bar

good luck.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I canโ€™t help you on a good toad. I CAN welcome you to touring our country and hope we meet on the road!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad