cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

securing dirt bikes at campground

jadams04
Explorer
Explorer
What do you do to protect/secure your dirt bikes while at a campground? Leaving them in the vehicle is probably not an option as I will be using for work each day.
17 REPLIES 17

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:
My how times have changedโ€ฆ when I rode competitively, I never even give it a thoughtโ€ฆ

We would off load the bikes, go eat or shop for food if there was anywhere to goโ€ฆ I donโ€™t remember ever locking them up in a CG or just near the staging area somewhereโ€ฆ

My grandsons competes but he leaves his in his enclosed trailerโ€ฆ

Huh?
Strange competitive pre-race "style"!..:@

Hmmmm - never arrived at a race "staging area" and went out to eat, shopping for food, etc. LOL!
Different folks for different two strokes..;)

โ€œHuh?
Strange competitive pre-race "style"!..โ€

I have no idea what you are trying to sayโ€ฆ. Just slow I guessโ€ฆ

โ€œHmmmm - never arrived at a race "staging area" and went out to eat, shopping for food, etc. LOL!
Different folks for different two strokes..โ€

I have arrived on Friday to race on Sunday I have camped near the staging area for the weekend many times or most of the time, and it would be a long time between meals if I didnโ€™t leave to eat or shop for foodโ€ฆ we arrived and set up camp to claim our spot first thing before going anywhereโ€ฆ

Arrive Friday, spectate 4 wheelers Saturday, and race Sunday was the normโ€ฆ and seldom stayed at CGโ€™sโ€ฆ enduros and cross-county are more of an event than a race, that I often had to travel long distances to get toโ€ฆ

At the Blackwater 100 Grand National cross country event there might be 700+ entrants camping in the small town of Davis, WV and 4 to 5 times as many spectators and partiersโ€ฆ

Still I never felt I had to worry about my bikeโ€ฆ in the CGโ€™s most people leave things out without worry, I still doโ€ฆ based on post on this web site theft, altercations, noise and the numerous other rants, times have changed and I am still living on the past or just not seeing all the things so many here complain aboutโ€ฆ

And yes the two strokes are great especially the old Swiss made Husqvarnaโ€ฆ

Blackwater 100 starting lineโ€ฆ

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
My how times have changedโ€ฆ when I rode competitively, I never even give it a thoughtโ€ฆ

We would off load the bikes, go eat or shop for food if there was anywhere to goโ€ฆ I donโ€™t remember ever locking them up in a CG or just near the staging area somewhereโ€ฆ

Huh?
Strange competitive pre-race "style"!..:@

Hmmmm - never arrived at a race "staging area" and went out to eat, shopping for food, etc. LOL!
Different folks for different two strokes..;)

OP - whether it's MCs or bikes - if you're not going to be there,
take *serious* preventative theft measures!

Your neighbors may be honest, but "others" may see an opportunity,
throw a leg over and go.
Even other campers may think it's just the owner(s) going for a ride.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been full time for 3 years and have a on/off road 350 and a 49cc moped with us. We have never locked them up and have never had any one bother them. When we are traveling, we do not both leave the motorhome and trailer though. Someone always stays around while the other does the shopping, picks up a drive thru meal or whatever. We do have tool boxes and many tools on the trailer also, but in campgrounds we have never had a problem.

jadams04
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the great ideas!

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Pit Bulls.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
A big locking cable and insurance. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
tsetsaf wrote:
it would be wise to booby trap them.

Electrify them. :B

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take off the front wheels, store them in your vehicle, and chain the bikes to a tree or similar object.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I often left my 2 dirt bikes sit in camp, while we were away. I did cable lock them together, and covered them with a tarp. I think being out of sight helped, as no one ever bothered with them.

This was in busy campgounds, not out in the boonies.

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just curious.......

You are going FT
Pulling a Flagstaff TT with an F150

How do you plan on transporting the 2 dirtbikes?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
In addition to locking them up it would be wise to booby trap them. For example when I need to leave my high end mountain bike out I will pull the skewer and dial down a brake caliper.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Try this
Toy lock I have thought about buying one, but never did.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
are you refering to bicycles or motorcycles if bicycles i would put them inside the trailer if motorcycles i would get a good heavy cable and chain them to the trailer
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map