cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Security Camera Solution

NSP-Biker
Explorer
Explorer
While I have a security system at home, I often worry about my rig and my site when I'm fishing or cruising the twisties on my bike. And who hasn't had firewood or lanterns lifted while you're away? Well I've been researching this in the context of mobility, ease of use and options, and I found a system that is completely wireless, the cameras report to a hub device up to 1000 feet away and can be monitored be a pro central station if you cannot respond. It detects motion and sends you a clip immediately. If you need you can request a law enforcement dispatch or you can ignor it or take care of your own business. A cool feature for us RVers is that you can change your address location right through the app. It's not a traditional DVR but just sends short clips over cellular. I'm thinking it could be handy too for alerting on deer or elk that may wander my way! Check out Dragonflyknows on the web or YouTube. There are a few sources but www.dragonflyknows.com is what I used. There was no contract or sales call, it's all on line.
1999 PSD F-350 SRW K&N, Sys-1, Ride-Rite
2005 Northern Lite 10.2CD "Special Edition"
2004 XL650L
GSX1100G, VS700 (Hers), 53 Belair (Hers), Z50R
More girls than I ever hoped for...(mom + 2 lovely daughters)
23 REPLIES 23

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
I'm from Canada and we winter in Arizona. Should we now be PARANOID ? NOT !!!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never had anything stolen. Well,,,, except for a few beers and some firewood but, those were not really stolen. My friends just borrowed them after I went to bed then paid me back the next day.

NSP-Biker
Explorer
Explorer
I have had firewood stolen, and you can't always choose where to camp especially if you've promised to take the kids to the beach and all campgrounds are full but one...

As for home - yes it's true cameras usually only show you someone maybe later. This one I just got busts them as they do the deed, letting me respond or call my neighbor or push a button and send the cops.
2004 XL650L

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We full-timed and traveled constantly for 16 years. We stayed mainly in public parks and boondocked in awesome spots miles from anything. We were never concerned about theft and never had anything stolen. Of course, we wouldn't leave expensive things outside if gone for the day.

If you're so concerned it might be because of the places you stay. We couldn't stand being paranoid about everything and everyone.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I don't leave anything valuable at camp... never had anything stolen either.

I think in this day where tablets, expensive phones and the like are common.. may find that there are more scoundrels cruising campgrounds to steal these easy to flip/portable/pricey items.

We boondock a lot, nobody around for dozens of miles. If some yahoo were to happen on our campsite while we're out rockhounding...they'll find nothing worth stealing.....
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

trikepilot
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, things don't get stolen when we go RVing, they get lost.

I have had my home burglarized once in 40 years and when the cops caught the guys two days later everything was already fenced. I was told by the detectives that a home security camera might help with identifying the burglars but would never help in returning my property to me.

Be well insured. Don't leave expensive stuff lying around. Don't sweat the small stuff.
1995 Jamboree Sport, towing a 2005 Ford Ranger, carrying a 2014 KTM 500EXC and a canoe

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
A camera tells you what the perp looked like so you can tell the authorities what the perp looked like and you most likely won't get your stuff back anyway or get the perp busted as it's small time theft, nor will the perp get any real punishment if caught. Best bet is to secure your stuff. Most campground thefts are from folks cruising through grabbing stuff to make a quick buck to turn into quick cash and are not around to be confronted after the fact. The same people hit cars at trailheads. I would advise getting an alarm.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

NSP-Biker
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
Sounds like a system that requires an Internet connection and that is a rare thing in a campground. How much data does it use?

Cellular, I think like 75k per clip.
2004 XL650L

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
NSP-Biker wrote:
Twisties...

"Twisties" no link - so just Google "Tail of the Dragon" for lots of videos of/for....

"America's number one sports car or M/C road".

318 curves in 11 miles.

US 129, Deals Gap, NC.

However, some of "us" prefer our twisties on dirt roads - or NO roads!

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a system that requires an Internet connection and that is a rare thing in a campground. How much data does it use?
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
no offense intended but this serms to bd a solution in search of a problem.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Another example of enjoying the beautiful outdoors, staring at your iphone.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"And who hasn't had firewood or lanterns lifted while you're away?"

I haven't. I never give it a second thought.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
50 years of camping and only once did I ever have anything stolen. Years ago someone stole beer out of my cooler and a tobacco like substance out of my tent. :W