cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selecting new TT Tires

The_LeRoys
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace one of my TT tires because of a blowout. So Iโ€™m looking at what to buy.

Currently they are radial 225/75/15 Load Range D. In looking at these they have a max weight of 2500 per tire. Since my TT weighs close to 10K that would mean I need to have the weight really well balanced to not have one tire over its limit.

Iโ€™m thinking that I should move up to Load Range E tires for the extra capacity.

Should I replace just the one that failed or all 4? We probably have right around 8-10K miles on the tires, which are 6 years old.

Should I consider Radials or BiasPly?
Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 4 kids.
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2006 Ford F250 6.0L
2008 Ford E350 v10
22 REPLIES 22

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My set of MAXXIS had one let go at about 4 years old. Tread was separating to come off. Still holding air.

I now have Endurance. Knocks on wood.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If you ran any distance at all on the other tire on that side of the trailer it's probably sustained substantual internal damage. Best bet is like others say, move up a new set of LRE tires, same size. BUT, get some with a speed rating higher than 65 MPH.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sons and I have run a bunch of Maxxis over the last 6 years. They are excellent, and show an amazing lack of dry rot at 5 or more year of age. HOWEVER, they are 65 mph tires giving no margin of 66 MPH. I just put Goodyear Endurance an a utility trailer and a new fifth wheel camping trailer. I am impressed with the higher speed rating (don't remember exactly, but it is 80+ mph) which gives a margin of safety when driving at 65 mph. They are also heavier tires than other ST and LT tires in the same size. Lastly, they look good. So far, no problem, but it is early.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis makes a Load Range E in that size. Iโ€™m on my 2nd set. Theyโ€™re a proven quality tire. Make sure theyโ€™re balanced.
Click here:Maxxis M8008 ST tires
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
if you can move up to 'E' tires.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run LR Ds but my TT isnโ€™t 10000 pounds. Get LR Es.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Barney just stole my thunder. I've have/had both Maxxis M8008 and the Goodyear Endurance tires. They are both great tires. Buy whichever is cheaper or more available from you dealer. By all means go up to LR-E if your wheels will hold 85 PSI.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would, and did, replace all four of mine with LR E. I had the rims to support the pressure increase as I suspect yours does too if it came with LR D tires from the factory. You could have the tire dealer check to see if the pressure or weight rating is stamped or printed on the inside of the rim, most are.

I would replace all four with radials as they are right at the end of their recommended lifespan. My old tires had quite a bit of tread left so I put them on Craigslist and sold them right away to a local guy who wanted them for a utility trailer. I explained in the ad that they were 6 years old but he didn't care. The price was right.:)

I replaced mine with Maxxis but I think if I were to do it today, I would go with the Goodyear Endurance which is getting good reviews both here and on other websites. If you have to get new wheels also, I would consider measuring and see if 16 inch wheels would fit. That would give you a lot more choices when buying tires in the load ranges you need.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine