cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Senior Citizens Speak Up

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
A lot of seniors, like me, are living in RVs. If the states and feds close the campgrounds we will be paying higher park rates to stay in crowded private campgrounds that will probably raise rates even more and surely won't be less safe from a health standpoint. I sent a respectful message to the Corps Of Engineers yesterday telling them my opinion. Seniors have clout at the ballot box.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
86 REPLIES 86

1duckie4u
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby

More room for the rest of us who can appreciate all the beauty and diversity the state has to offer.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
In MI you can stay 15 days, then you have to leave for 5 days.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
pnichols wrote:

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this. What I do support is use of tax dollars to set aside special areas where folks could full-time live at using RVs (areas kept and maintained much, much better than the Slabs) ... such that maybe true recreational part-time RV'ers could find a spot when they are able to break free and take their RV out for a few days here and there.

What makes your part-time RV use any more "recreational" than my full-time RV use? I worked over 50 years so I could retire and enjoy my remaining years traveling around the country in my RV seeing the sights I missed while working. Why should my 2 week stay at a state park be any different than your 2 week stay? The only difference is where we go home after our stays.

If your stays are 14 days maximum before you leave and free up that beautiful and pristine spot ... then be my tax dollars guest - here and there. But ... to do it over and over again permanently I think I have a problem with because: Some others of us who may also have worked decades and paid taxes so we could retire and enjoy our remaining years part-time traveling here and there around the country in our RVs - more and more find that the most beautiful and pristine spots are taken up by too many full-time experts already living in them in 14-day chunks - such that they're rarely available for "part-time recreating in" by the rest of us.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
DallasSteve wrote:
pnichols wrote:

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this.

Well, that can go both ways. I may not be a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support your part-time use either. There's no moral law that says one is right and the other is wrong.

Well, to put it bluntly ... IMHO the parks were meant for recreating in here and there ... not for living in week after week on the cheap.

Read up on some of the historic reasons why they were established and I'd be very surprised if the intent was to provide places to live at long term by any one person (other than certain park employees).

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this. What I do support is use of tax dollars to set aside special areas where folks could full-time live at using RVs (areas kept and maintained much, much better than the Slabs) ... such that maybe true recreational part-time RV'ers could find a spot when they are able to break free and take their RV out for a few days here and there.

What makes your part-time RV use any more "recreational" than my full-time RV use? I worked over 50 years so I could retire and enjoy my remaining years traveling around the country in my RV seeing the sights I missed while working. Why should my 2 week stay at a state park be any different than your 2 week stay? The only difference is where we go home after our stays.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
pnichols wrote:

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this.

Well, that can go both ways. I may not be a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support your part-time use either. There's no moral law that says one is right and the other is wrong.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
A lot of seniors, like me, are living in RVs. If the states and feds close the campgrounds we will be paying higher park rates to stay in crowded private campgrounds that will probably raise rates even more and surely won't be less safe from a health standpoint. I sent a respectful message to the Corps Of Engineers yesterday telling them my opinion. Seniors have clout at the ballot box.

Well head to Quartzsite Arizona or Slab City California, I heard its really cheap there and you can hide out from Covid-19. {china virus}

:R

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm ... as usual a lot of CA-bashing going on here ... or is it sour grapes talking!

My DW is a CA native, and I left Michigan at age 19, moved to CA, and never looked back. Thanks to good old Prop 13, our CA property taxes are way lower than what they would be otherwise and way lower than what they would be in many other "better" states (based on tax comments that I read in these forums). In our situation we pay no (as in zero) state income taxes. We have no mosquitoes. Our average humidity never gets anywhere near 80% or higher, and our mild temperatures are legendary. And, FWIW, in our particular situation none of our stick house power or RV storage power comes from burning anything.

California Prop 13 type laws should be passed in every state, IMHO, so that folks could stay in their stick houses long term if they just happened to want to, and be able to, otherwise. Regarding SS - ours and everybody else's does indeed get adjusted upwards any year whenever a certain inflation index dictates - so it's not "fixed".

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Walaby wrote:
How about an ex wife who rips you off and then, when you finally had enough and leave, she criticizes you for leaving?

Mike

Seriously, don't flatter yourself. Do you really think California or any Californian cared that you left?

Reminds me of a famous country song. I've thought about getting a bumper sticker that says:

"All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV"

It's funny because it's true.

I can believe that!

My daughter just bought a home from a recently divorced couple.

The woman is moving to the Bay Area while the dude is going to Texas.

Wonder why is that if this is indeed the pattern, lol.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Walaby wrote:
How about an ex wife who rips you off and then, when you finally had enough and leave, she criticizes you for leaving?

Mike

Seriously, don't flatter yourself. Do you really think California or any Californian cared that you left?

Reminds me of a famous country song. I've thought about getting a bumper sticker that says:

"All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV"

It's funny because it's true.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Apparently "someone" does....

Who?

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Apparently "someone" does....
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Yosemite, who's fault is it that maybe you married the wrong woman??? Your choice made and thus shall live with the results thereof! Not someone else's problems, period!

Huh?:h:S:@:?:h:S

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:

Mike

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite, who's fault is it that maybe you married the wrong woman??? Your choice made and thus shall live with the results thereof! Not someone else's problems, period!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT