cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Separate TT policy vs liabitlity on auto ins policy?

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our TT in March and have a Progressive policy on it (our auto policy, AAA, does not write for TT, only motorhomes). Our cars are with AAA because they are the cheapest & our renter's with Allstate because AAA does not write trailer or renters but now I am getting quotes to get it under one company.

One company said our TT would be under it's own policy "the deductible of $500 and the value of the trailer at $17,199, the premium is $300 for the year. The liability for it would extend from the auto insurance so there is no additional fee."

Now I don't want to say she doesn't know what she is talking about, but our policy w/Progressive just has everything in the trailer policy. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks!

Shari
Keith and Shari
2014 Keystone Summerland 2670BH
23 REPLIES 23

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Which part of which policy would cover damage to the RV, say, in case of a tire blowout?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Any damage to the trailer is only covered on a specific policy bought for that trailer with Comp / Collision coverage purchased.

Any liability when set up fall under either home owners insurance, vacation liability or full time package on the trailer's policy.

Any liability when towing (connected the car) comes from your car's policy.

If you don't owe money on the trailer you don't have to insure it. The reason you would want to is if you want damage coverage for the trailer itself and or extra liability while vacationing (don't own a home).
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have everything through AllState. The breakdown is interesting.

Liability when attached to the truck (truck policy)
Liability when sitting at a campsite (someone slips and falls on my campsite and it's my fault) (Homeowners policy)
Property Damage when not attached to the truck, for example it slips and slides and slams into some one elses campsite while camping (trailer policy)
Damage to trailer when not hitched to the truck (tree falling, tornado, fire, theft of trailer) (trailer policy)
Personal affects stolen (like a computer, equipment, lawn furniture) (Homeowner's policy)
Dog bite or my dog attacks someone elses dog (home owner's policy)
If I get sued because some just does not like me. (home owner's policy)
If I get sick and end up dead (Life insurance policy)!

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
I have everything (home, cars, truck, 5th wheel, boat) insured with the same company, but they have separate policies. I also have a $2M umbrella policy that covers anything I have insured with the company. That's the main reason I went with a single company.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds

astraelraen
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is through State Farm, its a 2007 Nash with a "value" of 10k.

$500 deductible is only ~$120 a year.
2013 F150 Crewcab Ecoboost Max Tow
3.73 gears 157" wheelbase

smyke
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive offers "Vacation Liability" coverage on any trailer or RV policy and that would cover the scenario that Wyo mentioned. Thats enough reason to purchase the Travel Trailer policy. Any liability claim will be covered by that policy as opposed to your homeowners.
Beemer (and the Insurance Agent) is correct, liability extends from the TV while in tow and ends when parked and uncoupled.
Mike

2006 VW Touareg
2001 Trail Lite by R-Vision B23S

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have everything thru Farmers Ins. The RV is added as a ryder. I pick the amount I want it covered for. Very inexpensive.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
By law the liability of the tow vehicle extends to the trailer while towing. That coverage ends when the trailer is parked.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My question would be does TT have liability if tow vehicle is not connected. i.e. You aren't there and TT catches fire and burns neighbors rv down also.