cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Service manual for 5th wheel hitch

Chippendale
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Reese 16K slider 5th wheel hitch. It looks like it could use some lubrication, but I have not been able to find a service manual or lube manual for it online. Does any one have any suggestions for lubricating a hitch? I guess you would want to use something like the spray used on room slide rails.

It also has some rust on it so I purchased some Ready Strip Rust Remover to spray on it, and then some Flat Black Rust-oleum enamel to spot paint it with. Am I getting ready to screw it up, or am I on the right track?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I seldom use the slider of my slider but I keep a can of WD-40 in the truck and will spray it on the rails and rollers when I do use them. I keep a light coat of grease on the head pivots, lock bar, and retaining bolts, Generally, I try to keep it dry and clean without being a fanatic about it. I do also wash the whole thing with a power washer in the spring before I put it back into the truck.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My story.
Bought my 16K Reese square tube manual slider new in '97. After arriving home I tried the slide. Had to dump the clutch in the Cummins to get the hitch to slide.
Well this ain't gonna' do it so I took the hitch head pins springs when needed and slider pins and rollers apart as far as it would go without cutting anything loose.

I lubed the jaw pins and slider rollers and their pins with a dab of red grease.
Sprayed the slides with white lithium grease.
Man was that a mistake as I hauled wood/hay/dirt/gravel in the bed on occasion. The white grease turned to a caked up mess.
Cleaned it up and sprayed the tubes and rollers with a heavy greaseless spray
on lube. That was in '97 and all I've done since is car wash the slider portion once a year and spray it down several times a summer.

Slides like a hot knife through butter at any angle including 90 degrees.

I found the gloss black shows less smudges and seems to stay on longer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Read this:

link
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE