cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Setting up a TOAD

Mspinetta
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2013 Wrangler to tow behing a class A The local RV dealer quoted me $5,600 to install a base plate tow bar brake system etc . When I look ay the partes needed online it looks like thet are adding close to 2K for labor Looking for advice
19 REPLIES 19

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI Do a lot of searching for equipment etc. Your dealer may not be the best choice and is likely the most expensive. And they may have a vendor do the install.

I've been to my tow bar mfg a number of times since 2004 for replacing the worn nylon parts. And I've watched them do installs, they are very very experienced.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ready Brake which combines the tow bar and brake is popular and less cost. Add magnetic lights for a super easy installation. Numerous posts on it.

Pros and cons to the different types. I've never regretted my adjustable tow bar for hookup. Installing are removing the big box brake got old after a few years so I switched to a permanent brake in the CRV about 2006. The used jeep came equipped for towing. GD has the CRV for college and it's still ready to be towed. I've always had wiring for the lights so just plug in the cord.

Note: Some toads require a charge line, some don't. Base plate installation access can be involved depending upon the vehicle. Access for wiring may be easy or not so much.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
If the hourly labor charge in NJ is roughly $150 an hour, I can't imagine it would take 13 hours to complete the project.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at Y-Guyโ€™s post.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If a kid can install it, so can I. As simple as that.