cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Severe problem towing 2014 Jeep Cherokee

Twoflyrodders
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Latitude V6 with Active Drive II. While towing behind my motorhome on a 5000 mile trip last summer I experienced a severe side to side shaking in the front wheels of the Jeep about 7 times. Extremely intermittent, and difficult to diagnose at first (is it motorhome, towing setup, or the Jeep itself causing this?). Lots of moving parts here, but I am closing in on the answer.
The shaking is severe. I can feel it A LOT way up in the front of the motorhome. First time I thought the drive axle in the motorhome had come loose from the frame on one side! When it happens I stop immediately, of course, and inspect everything. Nothing appears wrong. This seems to occur when one of the front wheels on the Jeep goes over some raised area in the road (once when I took a tight right turn and the Jeep went over a curb, once after going over some white 1" high markers in the road) or perhaps a rutted place (once railroad tracks at an angle), but it is so intermittent it's hard to be sure of the cause, and I cannot reproduce it. It does seem to happen at lower speeds, seldom over 35MPH thank goodness.
At considerable expense I've had the motorhome thoroughly checked (first thought was it was the bushings in the track bar) and there is no problem there. I've replaced the tow bar and checked the geometry - no problem there. New tires and balance on the Jeep. Still no help.
Now I find I'm not alone. Another person wrote to a motorhoming magazine and he has had the same thing occurring. I suspect there are more to come. I'd like to hear from anyone else with this problem on a new Cherokee.
Now, what's going on? Could this be related to the half shaft problems or other front steering things showing up on the new Cherokees? These vehicles have independent front suspensions so there is not way to put a steering stabilizer on them. Mine drives perfectly - no shake shimmy or anything EXCEPT this potentially dangerous thing when towing.
Anybody have ideas? Jeep dealers say they have to be able to reproduce the problem - and I don't want to take them on a 1000 mile or so test ride....
Bruce & Carol
2003 HR Scepter 38'
350 Cummins
2004 Gr. Cherokee toad
2 boats for full time flyfishing
56 REPLIES 56

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Charge line from Motorhome to car.

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
Wiring kit was installed today. Took dealer about 5 hours (their first one). NO CHARGE. Installation appears very neat and it won't be difficult to use - just have to remember two more steps when connecting and disconnecting. FCA recommends providing power to the battery if towing for more than 3 hours.

So, next job is to get a power source. Any advice and recommendations welcome.

Don
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

Gottahaveit
We purchased a 2015 Jeep GC Limited in March 2015. We have towed it approx. 5,000 without a problem.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
dleslie125 wrote:
Hmm. Looking at this entire thread now (my Cherokee delivered in Nov 2013 gets the wiring harness on Wednesday) it seems to me that the experts like et2 sure disappeared or went silent when all of their comments proved to be totally incorrect.

Amazing
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm. Looking at this entire thread now (my Cherokee delivered in Nov 2013 gets the wiring harness on Wednesday) it seems to me that the experts like et2 sure disappeared or went silent when all of their comments proved to be totally incorrect.
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish I could guess why FCA/Jeep decided to do this. Two thoughts come to mind:

1. They actually wanted to preserve the good will they have enjoyed in the RV community for years. Decades probably. The JEEP name is a Big Deal, probably the only reason Former Chrysler wanted AMC. They got rid of the cars in short order.

or..

2. This thing got classified as a Safety Issue...

I hope one day before too long, we get an update from the OP on this.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Edward_Jones-Do
Explorer
Explorer
I got the recall notice and had the new harness installed today. I'm a bit surprised that Jeep is doing this for free- it consists of whatever the harness is, a switch mounted in the center console, and a line with a removable fuse under the hood. It took the dealer about 3 hours to complete. It could easily have been sold as an after-sale package for only those that want to flat tow.
The procedure is to set the transfer case to neutral, put the fuse in the line and throw the switch. After towing you pull the fuse to prevent battery drain.
I'm having it rigged to tow this week at CW. I'm tempted to try it with and without the modification to see it it really is a problem.
Gerald G Todd
2 Tents, 3 Pop-ups and 3 Motorhomes (currently 2006 Winnebago Outlook 25F).

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there an update on the outcome of this?

Twoflyrodders
Explorer
Explorer
FCA has announced the fix for the wobble problem. It involves a wiring harness which will keep the electric steering assist motor operating while towing. Those wishing to have it installed should contact Jeep Customer Care.
Bruce & Carol
2003 HR Scepter 38'
350 Cummins
2004 Gr. Cherokee toad
2 boats for full time flyfishing

Tree_House
Explorer
Explorer
I just talked to Jeep Customer Care after seeing the article in the FMCA magazine.

There is a technical service bulletin on it. I was told they expected the parts to be available in late February.

It only happened on bad roads, so it's not surprising that not everyone had it. We first experienced it after a year of towing on bad roads in northern Maine and Nova Scotia.

My husband figured the problem was the steering wheel not tracking, and has been bungee cording it to the seat. No problems since, but then it was intermitant so who knows.

Dennis4809
Explorer
Explorer
Help should be available as soon as Jan 29th. A jumper to keep power to the power steering and new instructions in the owners manual.

http://community.fmca.com/topic/8903-important-towing-information-2014-2016-jeep-cherokee
2006 41' Gulf Stream Friendship 7
Cat C7, Allison 3060
Honda VTX on CruzerLift
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2014 Equinox LTZ V6 AWD

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm more optimistic, reading a credible editor quoting FCA's responses.

Many modern, high performance aircraft can't stay in flight without their computers tweaking their trim faster than a human can. Seems our cars are approaching the same condition.

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the link I saw from the FMCA site:

FMCA information for Cherokee owners

No timetable ( firm) that I've seen.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis4809 wrote:
Thanks to Twoflyrodders, Jeep has admitted the problem is the electric power steering and developed a fix. Will be available soon. For those that have experienced the problem, consider your selves lucky.

I'm sorry but I must have missed the post where Jeep admitted there was a problem and stated they would develop a fix and make it available soon. Could you please direct me to Fiat-Chrysler's or NHTSA's statement acknowledging this condition.