cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shingles,,, how many have gotten shingles after vaccination!

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
so the football player terry bradshaw, is again on the TV tell all to get the shingles vaccination to help prevent shingles cause he had shingles and it was painful.

SO my question is.

How many of my rvnet friends have gotten the shingles vaccination, how much did it cost, and did it prevent, or lessen the shingles discomfort.

wish they had a poll feature here like some other sites i visit..
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.
36 REPLIES 36

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
KatPalmertoyhauler wrote:
I realize this is an old post but wanted to comment. I got the shingles shot within days of age my insurance would pay for it. The reason was my dad got shingles right before you heard of the vaccination for it. He suffered for the last 6 or 7 years of his life with daily nerve pain. Every night before bed he had to have a salve put on the scare trail to help the pain lessen enough so he could sleep. Supposedly if you have the shot you might get shingles but they believe it will not be as severe as if you hadn't had the vaccination. I pray no one ever gets such a bad case as my dad had.

that is good to know and all the replies have been "get the shot when you can"

good advise to all "our" age..

thanks.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

KatPalmertoyhau
Explorer
Explorer
I realize this is an old post but wanted to comment. I got the shingles shot within days of age my insurance would pay for it. The reason was my dad got shingles right before you heard of the vaccination for it. He suffered for the last 6 or 7 years of his life with daily nerve pain. Every night before bed he had to have a salve put on the scare trail to help the pain lessen enough so he could sleep. Supposedly if you have the shot you might get shingles but they believe it will not be as severe as if you hadn't had the vaccination. I pray no one ever gets such a bad case as my dad had.

Poodle_Power
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I got our Shingles shots at Costco a couple of years ago. That was the least expensive place we found. With the insurance I think we only paid about $30.00 each. My husband hasn't had Shingles. I got Cancer and had Chemo treatments. I did get a light case of Shingles on my lower back and down my leg above the knee. I am glad it was a light case.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
I had a mild case of shingles last year. It was mild only because my Dr is very smart. I had no outward signs, but felt scratchy along my back. I suspected shingles and went in right away. The Dr was proactive and put me on valtrex immediately. It took two rounds, but the outbreak was minimal.

I can't get many of the vax's on the market because of certain preservatives. Thimerosol being a culprit. I wish they would make vax's for folks with preservative sensitivities.

cts

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to my doc, she wrote me a prescription for the Shingles vaccine, and I took it to Walgreens. I asked them to check and see if my insurance would pay for it, and mine paid the entire amount. So I immediately got the vaccine. I am under 60 and was concerned if insurance would pay. don't know if they pay for all under 60 or paid for mine because my doctor recommended. My dad had the Shingles and was in intense pain for weeks and went through lots of testing before he actually had any rash (and only minor rash at that), so I was terrified of getting the Shingles.

On the mention of the pertussis vaccine, most ob-gyn's recommend to pregnant women that all who will be in close contact with new baby get the vaccine. When my granddaughter was born, I tried the get pertussis, but unfortunately it is only available with the tetanus, to which I am allergic. So I couldn't comply with the recommendation.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
WOW sorry to hear that man.. good advice it seem is to get the shot. Hope all turned out well with moms colon cancer.

My doctor has been bugging me for the past couple of year to get colonoscopy. Will turn 60 july this year.

I read where some Dr say at age 55 get one every 3 or so years and other say at 62 if no colon cancer history in family..

Is or was any colon cancer history in your family before your moms bout?

slickrock steve wrote:
I did not get the shot in time.
I came down with the shingles when I was so stressed over my Mom and her battle with colon cancer. When I got them, it was on the left side of my head, and under my hair. Then it came out in my left ear, and in my eye!!!
I am now partially blind in my left eye, and have to take the Gabapentin medicine for the rest of my life as I also got "Post Herpetic Neuralgia" which is constant pain,24/7, and re-occuring bouts of nerve problems.
GET the shot!! Do NOT hesitate because you maybe afraid of the cost, or the getting the disease!
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
I did not get the shot in time.
I came down with the shingles when I was so stressed over my Mom and her battle with colon cancer. When I got them, it was on the left side of my head, and under my hair. Then it came out in my left ear, and in my eye!!!
I am now partially blind in my left eye, and have to take the Gabapentin medicine for the rest of my life as I also got "Post Herpetic Neuralgia" which is constant pain,24/7, and re-occuring bouts of nerve problems.
GET the shot!! Do NOT hesitate because you maybe afraid of the cost, or the getting the disease!

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
the DPT is one shot deal right.. I hate shots myself. bout passed out one time in the dr office hallway after getting tetanus shot in butt. nurse happen to have rolling office chair and put me in it.

emzee wrote:
We got the shot too. Better safe than sorry. No charge if you are on medicare and have a back up insurance plan too. We also got the Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis Vaccine(whooping cough)and the Pneumonia shots. Have a new little granddaughter.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
We got the shot too. Better safe than sorry. No charge if you are on medicare and have a back up insurance plan too. We also got the Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis Vaccine(whooping cough)and the Pneumonia shots. Have a new little granddaughter.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
The shingles vaccine is a live attenuated virus, which means the shell of the virus is alive, but the nasty inside bits are removed. Therefore you are NOT contagious at any time after taking the vaccine unless you have an active breakout of shingles.

The shingles vaccine is the chicken pox vaccine at 7 times the child's dosage. A booster shot for adults isn't a bad idea.

In the phase 4 trials, the vaccine was over 90% effective which is wonderful compared to the alternative. While it would be nice if it worked 100% of the time, but alas this isn't perfection. Those in the 90% now live with far less pain and suffering due to the vaccine. The shot is well worth the cost.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Mississippi
Explorer
Explorer
Had a mild case several years ago. GOT the SHOT about 2 years ago. If the shot works, it is well worth the cost and avoiding the pain. Hard to describe the pain and discomfort even a mild case caused.
S. Keith Winfield,CPA
Carol Winfield, copilot
2013 Entegra Coach - Anthem 42RBQ
Ford F150 Crew Cab

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trackrig wrote:
gbopp wrote:
I got the shot a couple years ago. My DW had shingles, I don't want them. No problems yet. I believe I paid 190.00, my insurance did not cover the cost.
I also had the pneumonia shot which my insurance did not cover.
And I actually have pretty good insurance. Go figure.

A lot of insurance companies only want to pay for what is actually wrong with you, they don't want to pay for preventative measures on something that might or might not occur.

Bill

I know right.. that's the stupid way to think but that is insurance companies.

Like if a tree is leaning towards the house the insurance company will not pay to have it removed at a cost of 500 or so dollars.. NOooo, they wait till it falls on the house causing $15,000 dollars in damage. but they want to increase prices every year to cover the losses..

STUPID, insurance companies and it seem heath insurance companies. let not do preventative stuff let wait till you get sick..
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
As sort of a side note, you can get shingles on / in your eyes and it can cause blindness if it happens there.

Bill

I thought blindness in men was caused by something else. lol. I just had to reply
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go in to get a Shingles shot, you might get a Tetanus shot while you're there if it's been more than five years.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.