cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shingles,,, how many have gotten shingles after vaccination!

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
so the football player terry bradshaw, is again on the TV tell all to get the shingles vaccination to help prevent shingles cause he had shingles and it was painful.

SO my question is.

How many of my rvnet friends have gotten the shingles vaccination, how much did it cost, and did it prevent, or lessen the shingles discomfort.

wish they had a poll feature here like some other sites i visit..
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.
36 REPLIES 36

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
I went in for a head to toe physical last year when I turned 50 with our new doctor. I was very surprised that they had my entire history of shots since the day I enlisted in the Navy at the age of 18. Spent 25 years before retiring in '08.

Anyways, the doc looked at my record and said I needed the shot. I think that was about the only shot I never received while in the Navy!

Oh, no charge for the shot.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I know people who got shingles and I didn't want any part of that! So I got the shot. My insurance paid part of it.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Our plan it's free after age 60. I got mine on my 60th birthday
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had shingles 4 years ago.
Started at back of neck right side.......up and over scalp down to eyebrow.

Very painful and lasted for 2 months.

At the time vaccine was age restricted.

Now it isn't..............been dealing with VA to get vaccine for 6 months.

Prior to the big scandal in Phoenix VA never had an issue with VA in Cottonwood/Prescott.
Now that VA is being improved........nothing but issues :S

Think I'll check with CVS/Walgreens...private doc and get the vaccine.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Get the shot,forget cost just do it as if you get the shingles or worse like me.I got Bells Palsey which lots of Dr.s link back to the same chickenpox virus.,you'll wish you did.
I got the shot anyway cause the virus stays in your spinal fluid.
If you didnt get chickenpox,probably won't get shingles.i know by 1967 there was a chickenpox vaccination as our first born got one .

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
One note: For 2 weeks after vaccination, you are contagious! You can give chickenpox to anyone who does not have immunities--either by vaccination or having chickenpox. So be especially careful around young children who may not have been vaccinated for chickenpox. Check on the vaccination status of your grandchildren!

Mayo Clinic disagrees: No Documented Cases
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
mikensallyt wrote:
D a n g .... guess I best get the shot regardless after reading up on it. And along with the pneumonia shot also. SOB. I felt like a human pin cushion in the military and thought it was all over with (needles and shots), I guess not.

Hey, while you are in there getting stuck, consider the whooping cough/diphtheria/tetanus booster, too. One more poke in your arm isn't going to kill you, and I've heard there has been a resurgence of toddlers too young to vaccinate with whooping cough acquired from elders who didn't realize that their childhood vaccination wears off, and that they had a mild case of it. The grandkid you save might be your own.

This!

I got re-vaccinated before my first grandchild was born.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
As sort of a side note, you can get shingles on / in your eyes and it can cause blindness if it happens there.

Bill

This.

You can get it in your ear and become deaf, too.

My dad had it when he was 70.... I remember it well because it was the first time I had EVER seen him down. He was a tough man but it put him in bed for a week. Before he started breaking out, he had a lot of pain in his chest and went to the ER thinking he was having a heart attack. ER finally suggested possibly pleurisy. The next morning he got up with a rash and it was obviously shingles.

I will turn 60 this year and will get a vaccination the next day!

One note: For 2 weeks after vaccination, you are contagious! You can give chickenpox to anyone who does not have immunities--either by vaccination or having chickenpox. So be especially careful around young children who may not have been vaccinated for chickenpox. Check on the vaccination status of your grandchildren!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
I got the shot a couple years ago. My DW had shingles, I don't want them. No problems yet. I believe I paid 190.00, my insurance did not cover the cost.
I also had the pneumonia shot which my insurance did not cover.
And I actually have pretty good insurance. Go figure.

A lot of insurance companies only want to pay for what is actually wrong with you, they don't want to pay for preventative measures on something that might or might not occur.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
mikensallyt wrote:
D a n g .... guess I best get the shot regardless after reading up on it. And along with the pneumonia shot also. SOB. I felt like a human pin cushion in the military and thought it was all over with (needles and shots), I guess not.

Hey, while you are in there getting stuck, consider the whooping cough/diphtheria/tetanus booster, too. One more poke in your arm isn't going to kill you, and I've heard there has been a resurgence of toddlers too young to vaccinate with whooping cough acquired from elders who didn't realize that their childhood vaccination wears off, and that they had a mild case of it. The grandkid you save might be your own.

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
As a veteran pneumonia and shingle shots are furnished. Also get flu shot at the VA each year. They told me the shingles shot didn't necessarily prevent shingle but usually made them milder.
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
carl2591 wrote:

SO my question is.

How many of my rvnet friends have gotten the shingles vaccination, how much did it cost, and did it prevent, or lessen the shingles discomfort.

How would one know if the Shingles shot prevented Shingles or lessened the Shingles discomfort? Most people do not get shingles. For the record, I got my shot a few years ago ... no problems.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
GHalf got the shingles vaxi about four years ago. At that time insurance paid nothing unless the insured was 60 or older, so we had to pay full price: $250 IIRC

I got the vaxi last year. No longer an age restriction so insurance paid the full cost.

No side effects for him, but my arm turned red and it ITCHED horribly for a few days.

Three people I know have had shingles. One (male) had a mild case but the other two (both women) said it was extremely painful.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Not me, commercials scared the DW so she did.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I got the shot a couple years ago. My DW had shingles, I don't want them. No problems yet. I believe I paid 190.00, my insurance did not cover the cost.
I also had the pneumonia shot which my insurance did not cover.
And I actually have pretty good insurance. Go figure.