cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Signing title, notarizing, etc., when selling RV in SC

tomseeley
Explorer
Explorer
I live in SC. I am working on selling our RV. I may have a buyer who lives in VA.

I'll do my own homework with the SC DMV, of course, but I wonder if anyone can tell me now how to handle stuff like signing the title, getting anything notarized, what to do with the SC license plate, etc. For example, if my wife and I are both on the title, do we both need to sign it to sell the rig? If our sigs need to be notarized and she signs in SC but I don't sign until I'm in VA with the buyer to get my $ and hand over the title and the rig, do my wife and I both need our sigs notarized and can we both do that separately in different states at different times?

Any help at all gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance.
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2008 Nash 26X
6 REPLIES 6

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If you need a notary, almost any UPS store or similar has one, in addition to banks, etc. Personally I would get the signatures notarized and then there would not be any problems down the road.

Personally I would transfer ownership in my state of residence, that would avoid any weird tax implications in VA, which may or may not exist.

Turn in the tag and report it sold DMV form 416, get a receipt for the tag from the tag office.

Official SC Bill of sale form 4031 should be used. I have searched the official DMV web site high and low, for form 4031 and cannot locate it. However many car dealers have it on their web site, and here is one that appears to be the most recent date

http://www.dbcarter.com/SC_Bill_of_Sale.shtml

The download link is in the yellow text, you get a pdf file that is a fill in the blank form, that you then print. Check and double check the VIN for accuracy.

Don't forget to cancel your insurance after you transfer it, you should get a refund on the unused portion.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've sold several vehicles here in Va., signed the title no notary needed.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
In fact that was a head scratcher for the seller of my antique vehicle, they had an extremely difficult time locating a Notary!

A notary can be found at any bank or credit union, or at most real estate offices.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I registered a mh here in sc that I bought off eBay all the DMV needed was a signed copy of the title. BUT make sure you donโ€™t make any mistakes such as scratching out a misspelled name. As mentioned above, know what the buyers state needs. A bill of sale never hurts and they can be quite simple.

As far as your tag, you are required by sc law to turn it in at any DMV. Both names on it separated by AND both names must sign.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomseeley wrote:
I live in SC. I am working on selling our RV. I may have a buyer who lives in VA.

I'll do my own homework with the SC DMV, of course, but I wonder if anyone can tell me now how to handle stuff like signing the title, getting anything notarized, what to do with the SC license plate, etc. For example, if my wife and I are both on the title, do we both need to sign it to sell the rig? If our sigs need to be notarized and she signs in SC but I don't sign until I'm in VA with the buyer to get my $ and hand over the title and the rig, do my wife and I both need our sigs notarized and can we both do that separately in different states at different times?

Any help at all gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I bought an antique car from SC and then brought it to PA so I can't speak of VA, BUT I would highly recommend the BUYER to find out exactly the way VA NEEDS to have the paper work done.

How each state handles the paper work is VASTLY different between them and the buyer and sell needs to know exactly what is required by each state involved.

PA REQUIRES the title to be Notarized, SC DOES NOT.

In fact that was a head scratcher for the seller of my antique vehicle, they had an extremely difficult time locating a Notary!

I was told by the seller that in SC all they had to do is simply sign off on the back of the title and hand the title over to the next person. Next person didn't have to submit the change to SC DMV.

PA REQUIRES ALL SIGNATURES of the names listed on the title since it is considered "joint property" in PA if there is more than one name listed, I would expect SC and VA to be similar. Some states may not need both signatures..

So in reality you could have a bunch of signatures on the back of the title..

For me, once the seller got the title notarized I was able to take the title to my local PA Notary and then they would write up the proper paperwork to submit to PA DMV along with paying the taxes and transfer fees.

License plates are handled differently between states, (PA no longer requires old plates to be returned) so yes, you will need to find out from your DMV on how to handle your plates..

Your best bet is to contact your local DMV and the buyer contact their local DMV to get first hand information rather than Internet information.

Then work with the buyer to get your paperwork in order (follow the requirements for each state).

This is the only way to make this transaction smooth as possible.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Notary NOT necessary

Bill Of Sale stated RV info (Brand/model/year/VIN) and 'SOLD AS IS' are necessary

Both signatures needed on Title IF title is in both names 'XX AND XX'
One signature needed on Title if title is in either names 'XX OR XX'
Can be signed anytime

Go to buyers BANK for transaction
1) Bank transfers funds from buyers account to your account via wire transfer
2) Bank cuts YOU a bank check...as you stand there and watch
3) Bank hands YOU the CASH

ALL good options
1 & 2 safer then 3 (pocket full of cash -----nice feeling but can be iffy)
1 better then 2 cause checks can be forged (that is why you have bank cut it and hand to you...........not one buyer shows up with)

License Plates.....depends on state requirements
Some ---plates stay with vehicle'
Some ---you must turn in
Some ----don't care---throw them away/hang on garage/outhouse walls etc
That is something you should verify with your DMV

Good luck on sale
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31