cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silicon grease on dump hose connections?

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silicon grease is something I'd never heard of. Recently read in an RV magazine that it could be used on dump hose connections. Though I'd give it a try. Picked up some at Lowe's in the plumbing section. Very small container (which is good for RV storage) and fairly pricey. Tried it on one of the connections. Seemed to really be a good idea. Being way too overly cautious at times I got to wondering if anyone knows if there is a downside to using the product, or did I stumble upon a good solution for overly tight connections?
7 REPLIES 7

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all your responses, guys.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago I put some Dow 33 silicone grease on the dump hose twist lock attachment and life has become much easier! It is safe for rubber, unlike petroleum greases. It works wonders on door striker plates. I did try it on a sliding window and it helped, but over time it might attract dust.

It does not easily wash off and anything you put it on will be slippery for a long time. Its pricey and a tube will last a long time. Clicky

Its available in smaller quantities at paintball shops. Have not tried the plumbing grease as mentioned in an earlier post.
F1BNorm

opland
Explorer
Explorer
I recently moved to Rhino Extreme Sewer Hose because the connections are easier to unlock than the other brands I've used. The Rhino connections are just as tight, no leaks. As GordonThree stated, Rhino hoses are already silicon greased and, like him, I don't think the silicon is there to make the connections easier to unlock. They are just better engineered to lock and unlock smoother. However, before spending money on new hoses, try the silicon on the connection bayonets. Can't see the harm in that because the application of silicon isn't going to cause the hoses to suddenly come apart or leak. Anyway, I feel your frustration with those stubborn sewer hose connections and wish you the best!
Airstream 2012 Classic 31
Toyota Tundra 2015 Edition 1794 V8 5.7L
ProPride 1400 Trailer Sway Control Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My Rhino hoses came with the silicone grease already applied, inside the bayonet fitting, and the section of the fitting where it "screws" onto the hose itself.

In my opinion, the grease is actually working to enhance the waterproof nature of the connections, rather than provide lubrication or keep anything loose. That's the impression I get from where and how it has been applied by the manuf.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
What's it for? Just the peg + bayonet fittings?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I have used can of silicone spray - seems to work fine - cheap and easy to store.
Kevin

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want my sewer hose connections to be tight.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS