cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Out Awnings worth it?

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My old TT had a slide out awning. New 5'er doesn't. On my old TT I never worried about leaves and twigs dropping. When I closed the slide they'd just fall off from the awning.

Has anyone ever had leaves, twigs etc. damage their slide out seal when closing? Is it standard practice to get a ladder and sweep off the top of the slide before closing?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)
23 REPLIES 23

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes!

Always!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
jnharley wrote:
Not interested in slide toppers. Most of them look terrible after a short period of time and they flap in the wind . We have a trucker spot mirror on an extension pole that we use to look at the top of the slides. Most of the time, we do not have anything to clean off. Our manufacturer did not recommend them or offer them as an option. I think the issue with water on top of the slide toppers is that it eventually causes sagging and the dreaded flapping where you have to bring in your slides to sleep. I have even read where people use straps to stop the flapping. Not worth the aggravation to us. I know we are in the minority
If they do, the tension isn't adjusted correctly, I have two of them & have Never heard or seen them flap in the wind, & water does Not pool on them.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

jody_h
Explorer
Explorer
I have one on mine and like it. Water pooling on it isn't a problem as it comes off when you bring the slide in. Flapping in the wind never happen to me. Maybe its has to much tention. But its has held up for 9 years and to me worth every penny.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
Never had one, never carry a ladder, never climb up to clean the top of the slide, never had a problem.

If i park under a tree that looks like it might drop stuff I'll figure out a way to take a peak (stand on tailgate, find a good angle somewhere...) or just pay close attention while closing it. in 4 years going on 15+ trips per year in the wooded northwest I've never needed to remove anything.

Even if something was up there and you closed it I highly doubt you'd break anything (I may be wrong). I forgot to close a cabinet door and pulled the slide in once. the slide stopped when it hit the door, didn't even leave a mark.

The reason I don't have them, camped next to a guy with one on a very windy night once and had to listen to it all night... in the morning it was trashed.

Maybe some day I'll have a problem and change my mind? until then, the risk of damage is acceptable and potential cost of repair is probably about the same as the awning.

And I just knocked on some wood...
TV: 2012 Ram 2500
TT: 2023 Cougar 22MLS

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Our Class A has them. The big one over the living room slide had rotted out and we didn't realise it until we got water in the overhead cabinets in a NW "heavy" shower (half an inch of rain in 12 hours!).

We replaced the awnings on both slides, on the assumption that, if they were basic equipment, maybe the top seals weren't as good as they could be. At least it's an additional way of keeping things dry.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
My last cover ripped off and I never replaced it. Do not miss it at all
samsontdog:o:W

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Not interested in slide toppers. Most of them look terrible after a short period of time and they flap in the wind . We have a trucker spot mirror on an extension pole that we use to look at the top of the slides. Most of the time, we do not have anything to clean off. Our manufacturer did not recommend them or offer them as an option. I think the issue with water on top of the slide toppers is that it eventually causes sagging and the dreaded flapping where you have to bring in your slides to sleep. I have even read where people use straps to stop the flapping. Not worth the aggravation to us. I know we are in the minority
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised to see 2 people who had them and won't have them again. As evidenced by the thread, they're definitely in the minority (from what I've read).

I have them on this camper and my next one will have them again.

I, too, don't worry about water pooling on them.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
There are most certainly worth it to me.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last two had them. This one dosent. Wish it did.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I have never understood why people are concerned with water pooling on the slide toppers. It is constantly brought up as a problem and I fail to see why. We don't do anything with ours because water sitting in them isn't a problem. When you finally bring in the slides, as when you're ready to leave, the water immediately runs off and none gets inside. Go figure.

I always wondered why people cared about the water on the topper also. Never had an issue with the water sitting up there until either I brought in the slide or the wind blew it clear.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Me too. I wouldn't have a rig without them.
X-12, If I had an RV that came without them, I'd put up the dough & get them.
Actually that's a ridiculous statement, as I wouldn't have an RV without them.;)
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never understood why people are concerned with water pooling on the slide toppers. It is constantly brought up as a problem and I fail to see why. We don't do anything with ours because water sitting in them isn't a problem. When you finally bring in the slides, as when you're ready to leave, the water immediately runs off and none gets inside. Go figure.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Took mine off, more of a pain than it was worth!