cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slider Hitch?

TrooperTaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I am about to purchase my first ever 5er. I do not own a hitch yet but do have the B&W turnover ball installed on my truck. I am hoping to get the hitch thrown in on the deal.

Do ya'll think the B&W Companion will work with my 6 foot bed or do I need to go with a slider?

What do ya think?

Thanks
2012 Ram 2500 4X2 6.7 CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar 330RBK
9 REPLIES 9

TrooperTaylor
Explorer
Explorer
kellertx5er wrote:
There is a 3rd variable that hasn't been mentioned. That is the position of the hitch in your truck bed. Each vehicle has a recommended position for the hitch rails which of course fixes the hitch position. My bed is 6'9", I have a slider and need it. If you are at 6'5", I would recommend it.

I ended up purchasing a Cougar 330rbk. Installed a non sliding companion hitch.

Backing into my driveway I ended up past 90 degrees with room to spare. So in my new situation I do not need a slider after all.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
There is a 3rd variable that hasn't been mentioned. That is the position of the hitch in your truck bed. Each vehicle has a recommended position for the hitch rails which of course fixes the hitch position. My bed is 6'9", I have a slider and need it. If you are at 6'5", I would recommend it.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought and had installed a PullRite 15K Slider...yes they are not cheap but are built exceptionally well....and not having to get out of the truck to pull pins ..? priceless..in my humble opinion.

Does the job extremely well.

stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

TrooperTaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I haven't purchased a 5er yet. The 2 models I am dealing on right now are the 2014 Keystone Laredo 335TG and the 2014 Keystone Sprinter ST324FWBHS

Thanks

my 2010 Laredo has the rounded corners and I tow with a short box F250 with no slider and no problems. Go to the web site, they used to have a short video or explanation on how tight they should turn.

Ok I will. Thanks for the info!!!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't purchased a 5er yet. The 2 models I am dealing on right now are the 2014 Keystone Laredo 335TG and the 2014 Keystone Sprinter ST324FWBHS

Thanks

my 2010 Laredo has the rounded corners and I tow with a short box F250 with no slider and no problems. Go to the web site, they used to have a short video or explanation on how tight they should turn.

TrooperTaylor
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
I towed a 5er for many years with a short bed Ford with a 6.5 foot bed and no slider and never had a problem. It depends on the shape of the front of the trailer and the pin box. Most new units will not need a slider. Heartland products will turn 88 degrees on a short bed without a slider. So, does your trailer have a flat front end or does it have a rounded one? Also, is your truck bed 6 feet or 6.5?

I just measured the bed. It is 6'5" from the back of the cab to the inside of the tailgate.

Thanks

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 5er for many years with a short bed Ford with a 6.5 foot bed and no slider and never had a problem. It depends on the shape of the front of the trailer and the pin box. Most new units will not need a slider. Heartland products will turn 88 degrees on a short bed without a slider. So, does your trailer have a flat front end or does it have a rounded one? Also, is your truck bed 6 feet or 6.5?
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't B&W make a slider hitch for your truck?

Also, you can get a Curt X5 adaptor for the turn over ball and then use any slider hitch your heart desires.

If your fiver has the extended pin box and the corner cut outs you likely will not need the slider. But it's nice to have for peace of mind.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Whether you need a slider or not will depend on the type of FW you get. Many of them today are set up with an extended pin box so you can maneuver without needing a slider. I have one just in case I get into a real jam and need to back up at near jack-knife angles to get free. To date, I've never "had" to use it for my FW.

However, I did help a friend move a used FW a couple of blocks one time, and it had the old style king pin that you simply couldn't use on a short bed truck. I moved the slider back, and very carefully and slowly drove it the couple of blocks to park it for him.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)