cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slightly Different Mattress Issue

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
After two years of barely acceptable comfort, we decided we had to replace or improve the original mattress in our TT. Before our four month trip last year we added a 2" foam topper which was an improvement, but not much of one.

Our TT has a Murphy Bed (which we love). Some toppers were quite heavy, and I was afraid that when the bed was up (vertical) the pad would slide down, especially as we drove for hours. So I found a lightweight one. BTW, it would slide down a little occasionally, but it wasn't a problem.

At the time I also shopped for a new mattress. Again, some were very heavy, and I didn't find a ltwt. option that seemed good. One seemed okay, but when I spoke to the maker they said they did not recommend any of their mattresses for use on a murphy bed.

Has anyone had any experience with mattress replacement for a murphy bed? Or with a good topper? It's a short queen, which limits choices somewhat. We're leaving on another four month trip soon, so I've got to do something about this.

Conventional or foam okay, but price is an issue - just can't go over $500, less is even better. I know that's not much, but I was surprised at how many inexpensive well-reviewed mattresses I found. Height isn't really an issue, there's about 11" available, but weight is. I want to add as little as possible.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The heavier the foam, the better it will be. The lightweight does practically nothing as you found out. We use a topper that is very comfortable, but heavy. It is about 5" thick. We have a platform bed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œthe maker they said they did not recommend any of their mattresses for use on a murphy bed.โ€œ

Such (weight) is always an issue with RV Murphy beds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad