cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small leak around toilet, ideas?

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Noticed last night I have a small leak, like a puddle 2" x 4" of fresh water at the back of the toilet (Thetford) Didn't see it earlier when I checked, and now it's there again..... Any suggestions before I tear into it? Tried to find something in search, no help.
Thanks
Mike
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys
8 REPLIES 8

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
My flush valve was dripping. I kept finding water on the floor. Finally found the drip by using a mirror. The flush valve came with a donut seal for the floor flange. If the toilet is far enough from the wall you will not need to remove the toilet. If the toilet is too close to the wall the valve will not slide all the way out of a bracket it slides into and you will need remove the toilet to get the valve out. The back of the toilet has a molded bracket the valve slides into then a tab locks into place. When removing you lift up on the tab and slide the valve out. You will also need to pull the tubing loose that goes to the spout in the toilet rim and remove the rod from the flush lever at the valve.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Reach around the back of the toiler and make sure the line is tight. Then go around to ALL of the sinks and make sure those are tight too. No wrenches needed, just need to be hand tight.

We do it most every trip due to the bump and grind of the back roads. It started with the occasional bump of the pump, then a tiny puddle around the toilet.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
valve is going bad time to change it

This is my guess also. This is what happen to mine. The O ring went bad in the flush valve. If you do this repair pull the toilet and do it.

Don't do like I did and spend an hour trying to build a ship in a bottle and then giving up and pulling the toilet in 3 minutes. :R It's an easy repair if it's the flush valve.

Will, pull it out to do job.....
We're pulling out tomorrow morning for our run to Seattle where we will set up for 3 or 4 days... It was dry today and last night. There is a dealer here in Rapid City, so I am going to go over, grab all I think I may need, O ring, maybe the whole valve and bring it back and if I don't do the job, have it in my stock.

Thank you everyone!
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:

This is my guess also. This is what happen to mine. The O ring went bad in the flush valve. If you do this repair pull the toilet and do it.

Don't do like I did and spend an hour trying to build a ship in a bottle and then giving up and pulling the toilet in 3 minutes. :R It's an easy repair if it's the flush valve.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our toilet will throw some water over the top edge when flushing if we flush it with the seat up.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check to see if the water line is tight. If it leaks all the time that may be the problem. If leaks only happens when you add water to toilet or flush, then leak could be in valve assembly.
Dr Quick

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Start with the easy stuff. Wrap a length of paper towel around the water inlet fitting. This will help you identify or eliminate one source of the leak.

Might also just be condensation from the toilet bowl...depending on the weather.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro